PDA

View Full Version : AW4 Tranny question on fluid chance

dagod16
04-26-2014, 09:24 AM
When the tranny fluid is changed and drained and new filter added..... does all the fluid come out of the system? I thought that only 3/4 of the tranny fluid comes out of the system at each tranny change?

Can I drain the fluid at home and add some then do the full tranny change later this summer, knowing I cleaned out some of the fluid already and the next tranny change will get the rest of the dirty stuff out?

Keep in mind I change my fluid every 40 to 50K

Also what kind of tranny fluid should I use? Something from walmart? what kind of markings should it have?

Thanks

4.3LXJ
04-26-2014, 09:25 AM
That is right, you only change part of the fluid. What is in the torque converter stays there

dagod16
04-26-2014, 10:05 AM
So when a filter and tranny fluid change is done a certain amount of fluid is in the torque convertor. So if I drain some now, say two or three quarters or whatever comes out and then refill it up, it will mix with what is in the torque convertor . So at the end of the summer when I get the tranny fluid and filter changed on schedule I will have pretty fresh new clean fluid?

Does that sound correct?

What type and brand of fluid do I get?

Thanks

dagod16
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Walmart had dexron VI tranny fluid would that work fine?

XJ Wheeler
04-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Whatever fluid you go with has to be Dexron III compatible. I went with Valvoline, as it was the only one in my area i could find. Its an old fluid that not many use anymore but these transmissions like it.

When dropping the pan, if i remember the fsm correctly, you are replacing 5-6 quarts of fluid. Which, also if i remember correctly, is just over half of the system.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

dagod16
04-26-2014, 05:27 PM
So can I drain it nice and simple out the bottom through a drain plug and fill it through the fill up tube under the hood?

XJ Wheeler
04-26-2014, 06:48 PM
So can I drain it nice and simple out the bottom through a drain plug and fill it through the fill up tube under the hood?

Yep. But if that filter hasn't been changed in a few years it could use it i'm sure.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

dagod16
04-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Well the filter was changed about 35K ago, I just want to have nice bright red fluid not slightly brown fluid. Everyone knows how the color turns after a while. Besides I need something to do.

dagod16
05-03-2014, 10:09 AM
So after I get out of supervising sat detentions as work which is a high school.....
I will buy a gallon of this high mileage tranny fluid, marked dex/mercon, comes in a red bottle and my jeep is at 207K and is def high miles.

What is different between the regular fluid and high mile tranny fluid.

Then when I get home I will drain a gallon and add a gallon, my xj has a drain plug on the bottom of the pan, and refill using the dipstick tube.

dagod16
05-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Old drained fluid that was in the pan..
And the new stuff i added.
Going for drive.