PDA

View Full Version : '86 Cherokee "Jezebel"

jart_mn
04-24-2014, 08:32 PM
I thought I would share my build project. I started a build thread on Cherokee Forum that I'll probably keep as my main for the project, but I should be able to keep up on here too. Please check it out if you want to get the full background up to now.

The project started with a stock 1986 XJ that was on its way to the scrap yard if I didn't grab it. I couldn't complain about the $300 price tag for a running/working 4 wheel drive to play with (actually was only $250 but the seller put extra time in getting it running so I gave a little extra). I hadn't ever done anything with Jeeps or off road vehicles (besides snowmobiling and occasional 4-wheeling) but had a buddy who did and had plenty of advice for me, so the next thing ya know I'm spending some $$ on a lift, tires, rims, rock sliders... ya, and a bunch of other stuff. Had some setbacks during the last year working on it but it is definitely moving in the right direction and I should be able to enjoy it in the near future.

Please feel free to ask questions, give advice, or anything else. I work very full time, drive nearly 2 hours a day on top of work, take a class a semester for an electrical engineering masters (all the company will pay for, why hurry at my own expense?), have a ton of projects going on around the house, and try to have enough of a life to keep some sanity :crazy: without too much :beer:, so I may not be the fastest to reply but I will do my best.

As an idea of what I've got going with it in the near future, my short term things to do are:
- Finish installing lift stuff (bar pin eliminators in front, transfer case drop, shocks in rear, sway bar disconnects, check/torque all nuts and bolts)
- Engine swap
- Install winch
- Relocate battery to rear with big wire
- Install relays/wiring for rack lights
- Upgrade some of the small power wires as it makes sense
- Install CB radio
- Make a hi-lift jack mount for on my rack
- Get the other seat and seatbelt back in
- Tie rod end and U-joint replacement
- Alignment
- Finally get some use out of the dang thing!

I'll try to take pics and do post as I do the different things, but won't promise a ton. If someone sees something they want me to hit up for sure let me know and I'll make sure to. I'm not a pro at doing any of this but figure at a minimum others can learn from my mistakes :bang:

Original:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3725

Most recent look:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3726

Cherokee Forum Build Thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/1986-cherokee-jezebel-170763/

bluedragon436
04-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Looks good.. Will def be keeping an eye on it, as I a really enjoying the 2dr builds, and hope to get mine going hopefully soon!!

Brasscatz
04-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Nicely done indeed!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

jart_mn
04-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Looks good.. Will def be keeping an eye on it, as I a really enjoying the 2dr builds, and hope to get mine going hopefully soon!!

Nicely done indeed!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Thank you :) I've been pretty happy so far with the way it is turning out.

4.3LXJ
04-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Welcome Joe. It just so happens I have an 86 2 door too. Well, the body is anyway :D Looks like you are off to a good start

jart_mn
05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Welcome Joe. It just so happens I have an 86 2 door too. Well, the body is anyway :D Looks like you are off to a good start

Cool. Thank you. Hopefully things keep moving along and I'll get to do some playing with it in the not so distant future.

jart_mn
05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Had to at least come and give some kind of update. Got my spring semester class done so I'm back to some free time. Been hitting the cleaning and wiring update in my garage hard (along with some garden prep and outdoor work). This weekend I'm hoping to get cleaning to the point where I can finish wiring (ton's of old shit laying around, I tore down 5 buildings in the previous year and had a lot of classic/collectable stuff to deal with) and get in good shape for the wiring. I'd like to have at least all outlets roughed in, lighting in place (main reason for the whole wiring fun in the first place), and enough outlets complete so I can pull out the old panel and the old wiring. If all goes really well I'll be able to make room in my truck for some 2x4's, 2x6's, and plywood sheets to throw together a couple of simple work benches and start pulling the engine. It's been a pain keeping from starting in while things are still a mess but it should make the job a ton easier having a more organized approach. I'm figuring at a minimum I'll shoot for some "before" pics in the engine bay (probably will pull the hood to make things easier) just to show something from the Jeep, I know it has been a while.

jart_mn
05-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Now that I got my Internet back I can post a couple of pics. The ISP seems to love having DNS issues lately.

Still working a bunch on getting my garage wiring done, cleaning it out, and some gardening/landscaping stuff since spring finally showed up. But I managed a few small things. Got the 3.4L out of my truck and onto the engine stand. Rocked it a little hard in transit and banged the dip stick tube. Think that it can be bent back into place with a little work, so shouldn't be a big problem. Took the hood off and got a few before pics. Pulled my back a little pulling a tree root in the corner of the garden so I may lay low a couple of days but I'm leaning towards starting to take some things out. I figure it shouldn't be too hard of work for the time being and it would be nice to see progress. I still have to get some lumber to make a few simple work benches but that means getting some axles out of my truck box which won't happen til this weekend at the earliest. I have some spots open to lay stuff out so I should be able to manage for a bit.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3948

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3949

jart_mn
05-13-2014, 08:43 PM
I decided to do a real make shift table/work bench with some saw horses and a sheet of plywood. Actually looks like it'll go quite a ways for holding stuff I take off. Then I got started on taking stuff out. Not a ton of progress, but so far I've:
- removed the air intake filter and its associated stuff
- drained the coolant and removed the radiator and shroud
- drained the oil
- removed a handful of misc wires and vacuum hoses
- tried to label the crap out of everything I'm doing and take notes so I have a reasonable chance of getting things in and functioning

If I can get the oil changed on my lawn mower and possibly change the blades in a reasonable time tomorrow I should have another hour or 2 to keep going. So far only a few bloody knuckles, not bad at all.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3950

XJ Wheeler
05-13-2014, 11:52 PM
I decided to do a real make shift table/work bench with some saw horses and a sheet of plywood. Actually looks like it'll go quite a ways for holding stuff I take off. Then I got started on taking stuff out. Not a ton of progress, but so far I've:
- removed the air intake filter and its associated stuff
- drained the coolant and removed the radiator and shroud
- drained the oil
- removed a handful of misc wires and vacuum hoses
- tried to label the crap out of everything I'm doing and take notes so I have a reasonable chance of getting things in and functioning

If I can get the oil changed on my lawn mower and possibly change the blades in a reasonable time tomorrow I should have another hour or 2 to keep going. So far only a few bloody knuckles, not bad at all.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3950

One trick i learned when doing the heads on my bronco 2 was to label everything by number and note what each number is associated with on a notepad. Keeps from having a ton of lengthy notes on parts that can get messed up throughout the process. And take pictures of where everything goes.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
05-14-2014, 12:35 AM
So refresh my memory, what is it you are doing to it again?

jart_mn
05-14-2014, 05:17 AM
So refresh my memory, what is it you are doing to it again?

The carbed 2.8L that's in it has some problems and would need a full rebuild to be trustworthy again. Instead I'm upgrading to an injected 3.4L out of an '95 Camaro. Same 60 deg V6 block, just bigger. Couple of write-ups make it sound reasonable so I thought I'd go that route. Originally thought about doing a Chevy 350 and really upgrading but decided against it since I probably won't be needing that much power in it and that would have meant upgrading a ton of shit all at once.

jart_mn
05-14-2014, 05:20 AM
One trick i learned when doing the heads on my bronco 2 was to label everything by number and note what each number is associated with on a notepad. Keeps from having a ton of lengthy notes on parts that can get messed up throughout the process. And take pictures of where everything goes.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

I'm doing a combo of note pad, notes on each thing, and a ton of pics, crossing my fingers that it works. At one point I considered setting up my webcam and videoing everything so I could talk out loud about what I was doing to help note it more, but my ambition stopped before I convinced myself to do that. On the other hand I'll probably have a fair share of digging into it afterwards anyway since I'm doing the swap to the different engine (and going carb to injected).

4.3LXJ
05-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Yes, the 3.4 is the best conversion. It will bolt right in. Make sure you use the 3.4 flywheel with it.

jart_mn
05-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes, the 3.4 is the best conversion. It will bolt right in. Make sure you use the 3.4 flywheel with it.

I thought I had to use the 2.8l but have it neutral balanced?

This is the site I was basing a bunch of the stuff on and then dug more into the electrical/injection setup

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
05-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Trust me, just use the 3.4L flywheel and get a clutch for that flywheel. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run instead of balancing a flywheel.

jart_mn
05-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Trust me, just use the 3.4L flywheel and get a clutch for that flywheel. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run instead of balancing a flywheel.

Sounds like a plan to me. I figured I'd take a better look at that when both engines are out and on stands next to each other. I'm not much of a gear head so I'm trusting internet info until I can lay my eyes on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
05-15-2014, 06:37 PM
I was noticing on your CF thread you were looking for a spare tire mount that might mount in the trailer hitch.. Check out the KnuckleBone from Detours USA (http://www.detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php)

jart_mn
05-15-2014, 08:28 PM
I was noticing on your CF thread you were looking for a spare tire mount that might mount in the trailer hitch.. Check out the KnuckleBone from Detours USA (http://www.detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php)

That's probably the route I'll go. I looked at a lot of his stuff and it looks sweet. I'm still toying a little with the idea of building one just to try to "build" more stuff for my XJ, but with the quality that looks like I'm probably just going to buy and bolt on.

jart_mn
05-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Well I had a couple of days off the project for a little fun time. Probably not a bad thing, back is feeling good again. Put around 6 hours in today pulling the remaining things I could getting things ready for taking the engine out. Think I'm down to the bolts between the engine and tranny and the motor mounts and a few miscellaneous wires that looked like I could get to easier with the engine an inch forward or so. Got my mom's 70th birthday party tomorrow so I probably won't do much other than run over to my buddy's to grab his spare engine stand and hoist. Monday or Tuesday I should be able to get her out. Then the fun of dealing with prepping the 3.4L. That part wouldn't be so bad except for the fact they cut all the wires when the engine was pulled.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3951

4.3LXJ
05-17-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't envy you on that one. Having the wiring harness cut would make it no fun. Are you going to run a carb on that 3.4?

jart_mn
05-17-2014, 09:28 PM
I don't envy you on that one. Having the wiring harness cut would make it no fun. Are you going to run a carb on that 3.4?

The goal is to use the injection system that's on the 3.4L. Figured that may be a bit more complex to deal with but has its perks.

4.3LXJ
05-17-2014, 09:38 PM
For sure. You will need the wiring harness and ECM then

jart_mn
05-17-2014, 09:48 PM
For sure. You will need the wiring harness and ECM then

Yup, got the ECM. I got that with the engine and was a bit frustrated to see they chopped the wiring like they did since the sales guy at the yard and I talked quite a bit about what it was for when I put in the order. Picked up wire, splices, heat shrink, wire loom, and a label maker so I can make do with what wires are left. Found an OBD/USB interface for with my laptop too so I can modify settings as needed or just tinker with it, wasn't too spendy.

4.3LXJ
05-17-2014, 10:02 PM
I would ask for an intact harness. A cut wiring harness is no good. In my part of the country, the wiring harness is considered part of the engine and comes with it

jart_mn
05-18-2014, 07:47 AM
I would ask for an intact harness. A cut wiring harness is no good. In my part of the country, the wiring harness is considered part of the engine and comes with it

When I went to pick it up and saw it was cut I raised some hell with him since I knew the pain it would be to splice everything. He apologized but basically said he can't fix the wires now so take it or leave it (of course losing my deposit). It took a few months just to find one of these with reasonable miles in the area and at the time thought I would be able to work on it right away, so I thought I could make it work if I spliced it well (I worked in a panel shop for a while so I've done some pretty decent wiring before). I have the plug/connector side for the wires into the PCM and they have ~1' tails, but it does mean 2 splices per wire which will be a bitch. I haven't had a ton of luck searching for engine wiring harnesses for it, most I've found are $700+. My thought was to make it work with this and I always can watch out for a deal on a wiring harness (eBay or other) and replace if it comes up or leads to be a problem. Are you thinking I'm screwing myself taking this route?

Brasscatz
05-18-2014, 05:50 PM
I think splicing everything could buy you trouble in the long run. Splices always have the potential to come loose and fail and it's going to be a b#$@ to find the problem.

Have you looked at http://www.painlesswiring.com/? Another avenue I would take is checking out the junk yard.

Good luck, buddy. Can't wait to see this thing finished!

jart_mn
05-18-2014, 09:29 PM
I think splicing everything could buy you trouble in the long run. Splices always have the potential to come loose and fail and it's going to be a b#$@ to find the problem.

Have you looked at http://www.painlesswiring.com/? Another avenue I would take is checking out the junk yard.

Good luck, buddy. Can't wait to see this thing finished!

I'm about 99% sure you guys have leaned me in the direction of getting a full harness. I'm reasonably confident I could do decent job with things, but it creates a ton of variables that I don't need to worry about if something doesn't work at some point. I'll do some digging and check out that site. My guess is the junk yards here won't have much but I'll check with them too to see what's out there.

jart_mn
05-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Thought I would give a quick update. Progress has been far from what I hoped so I can't post a ton. Couldn't get the hoist and stand again last weekend, so wasn't able to pull the engine. Probably not a bad thing since I managed to get pretty dang sick Sunday night and through Monday (and not even self induced, seemed like food poisoning almost). I bought a few more things including a used wiring harness, new radiator (old was pretty crudded up and no drain valve), upgraded alternator (figured good for the winch, lights, and other electrical upgrades I may add), new/better motor mounts, and some other odds and ends I'm not remembering right now. Figured it may be a few more $$ now but hopefully means less going back and putzing with it once it is back together. Kind of busy week at work but I'm hoping I can do a few things in the evenings to keep things moving forward.

4.3LXJ
05-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Might as well take your time and get your ducks (parts) in a row first

jart_mn
06-02-2014, 07:12 PM
My stomach bug lasted over a week so far and meant a day+ off work and even a dr visit. With the mosquitoes around my place these days and my luck I'm wondering if I've gotten a 3rd world disease or some previously undiscovered one. For a busy work week that was only 4 days to start with that didn't work out well. Was still laid up pretty good this last weekend and had work around the house to get to when I had some energy. Probably won't be doing much until later this week. Hopefully some progress by this weekend, if not on the engine at least some of the other odds and ends.

XJ Wheeler
06-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Feel better! Its amazing how un-important the jeep becomes when ya don't feel well. Good luck!

jart_mn
06-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Feel better! Its amazing how un-important the jeep becomes when ya don't feel well. Good luck!

Thank you. I'm feeling pretty good today, hoping to be fully back to "normal" by morning. Got a few more gardening things to knock off tomorrow but may get to do something on the XJ too. As much as I know health takes (or should take) priority over the Jeep, it sure irritates the hell out of me with a project sitting around as long as it has and not progressing.

JENSSEN
06-04-2014, 11:10 PM
I am going to argue against the repaired cut harness, waaay back I bought a 94 Mustang 5.0 engine and the harness was cut I did splice the entire harness back together , it was a PITA but it worked and I never had an issue.

Just my experience.

-J

jart_mn
06-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I am going to argue against the repaired cut harness, waaay back I bought a 94 Mustang 5.0 engine and the harness was cut I did splice the entire harness back together , it was a PITA but it worked and I never had an issue.

Just my experience.

-J

I think there's a decent chance I could have spliced it all together and made it work, but 2 things come to mind after some posts and thinking about it. The first is how much time (and actually money with the cost of splices, heatshrink, extra wire, etc) would it take to do it. With the way things have been going for me the last year or so it seems harder than hell to make the time to keep up with things as it is so a substantial time savings is worth a bunch. The second is the second guessing if something doesn't work right when I go to start it or if I run into problems on the trail. I think any intermittent ghost problem would cause me to wonder if I got every splice done well enough and whether I sealed them from water enough. Considering the money I'm spending on the rest of the stuff it doesn't seem like a bad investment to spend a little more to get a full harness. There were a few pro's to doing the splice. I could have extended the wiring enough to bring the ECM into the cab for easy diagnostic access, which would have been nice. Thank you for commenting though, makes me feel a little more like I wasn't on crack thinking that way in the first place :D

bluedragon436
06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
At the rate I'm going now, I wish I knew somewhere that I could find a full harness, at least the engine to the ECM harness, then maybe I could take care of the no power/no start issue on mine...

jart_mn
06-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Still no wiring harness or engine hoist, so figured I'd try to get a few other things done off my list. Got my rear receiver hitch installed and my bar pin eliminators on the front shocks. Too much yard and garden work to get much else done, but at least it is some progress. Thinking I need to make a 3 or 4 day weekend again soon so I can fully catch up on home stuff and get some appreciable progress on the XJ.

jart_mn
06-08-2014, 08:33 PM
At the rate I'm going now, I wish I knew somewhere that I could find a full harness, at least the engine to the ECM harness, then maybe I could take care of the no power/no start issue on mine...

Have you checked on Ebay for one? I know it isn't as nice as being able to lay eyes on it before buying but they seem to have just about everything. I found options for my harness from $100 that seemed risky, to $225 and looked a bit more trustworthy, to the pimped out new custom for around $750 or so.

jart_mn
06-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Another not so exciting update, but figured it is better than nothing. Got my sway bar disconnects on and tie rod off (upgrading the ends). Had to order a couple of things so that will stay apart for the week most likely. I picked up the hoist and stand from my buddy this evening so I'll be able to pull the 2.8L this week. I received the engine wiring harness but that's on its way back for a replacement. I would have been fine with a little wear and tear since it was used but 1 of the plugs into the PCM was completely fubar. If I'm going to pay the price I did to avoid wiring problems and re-splicing things I wasn't going to settle with that one. The seller responded quickly and sounded like he wanted to make it right, so we'll see how the replacement looks when it comes. My progress was pretty minimal this weekend due to getting hit by an extreme cold/cough going around and the icing on the cake was my home NAS failing and possibly losing a bunch of my data (so far recovery scanning shows some positive signs). Hopefully the next update will include a pic of the engine bay without the engine.

jart_mn
06-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Good news, actual progress. :bacondance: To some it may not be much but at my pace lately it feels good (and I did it with still having a wicked cold). Got the rest of the engine bolts out and pulled the engine. I think I even managed to do it without a bunch of damage to the stuff that is staying in her. I know I've got a handful of things to do with it out but I don't think it'll be more than a week or so and I can drop in the 3.4L, then the putzy work of re-assembly and seeing what will/won't work. I'm taking Friday off to catch up on a lot of home stuff, Back to the 50's car show Saturday, and probably setting up a home file server Sunday, so I'm not sure how the weekend will go but I'd like to keep getting some shit done.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=3983

4.3LXJ
06-17-2014, 11:07 PM
That is progress. Now the fun part begins. Making it all one piece again

jart_mn
07-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Quick update just to show I'm still around. Got a few of my cleanup items from my lift done, but not a lot else. Still hassles trying to get the engine wiring harness... I've been catching up on a ton of yard work and stuff too, so been neglecting Jezebel. I think I'm taking a ride on the motorcycle Saturday and more yard stuff Sunday, then back to the project. I ordered up a Knucklebone that should be coming soon too.

bluedragon436
07-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Glad to hear that it is still coming along.. Nothing wrong with taking your time on the build, and taking care of other items that need to be done around the house at the same time..

jart_mn
11-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Seems like lots of stuff getting in the way of progress. Guess this will just be a bit longer of a project before I get to use it. I have gotten a few things done but not a lot this summer or fall (XJ wise at least). Spent a bit more replacing sensors and things on the engine, finally got a wiring harness that looks like it should work, and installed a Detours Knucklebone (will get a pic or 2 up sometime). Went to get the 3.4L mounted and ran into a problem. With the new flywheel I have an additional 1 1/8" or so thickness to deal with.

Question about this Steve. Do you know if it is just a matter of a different throwout bearing than what comes with the 3.4L clutch kit? The 3.4L flywheel has about 1 1/8" extra depth to it (essentially the thick steel section in addition to the portion with the teeth). I just ordered one from RockAuto for the donor car application, should I have done differently? Comparing the throwout bearings between the stock one to the one that came with the clutch kit shows a difference in depth probably around an inch, but it is not compatible anyway due to the style of it. I can get more pics when I get back in town in a day or so. It looks like I could get the old flywheel off the 2.8L balanced/resurfaced (looks in pretty decent shape), clutch, etc, but a simple fix like a new bearing seems a lot easier if it would work. I'm going to do some more looking online but thought I'd post the question in case someone knows. Please let me know what you think.

New flywheel/clutch on the engine:
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=4085

Throwout bearings (factory on right, from 3.4 clutch kit on left):
http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=4086

4.3LXJ
11-09-2014, 08:46 PM
That is a very thick flywheel. Is the the one that came with the 3.4?

jart_mn
11-09-2014, 08:50 PM
That is a very thick flywheel. Is the the one that came with the 3.4?

The engine was originally paired with an automatic. I ordered a new flywheel for the manual tranny version of the same engine.

4.3LXJ
11-09-2014, 08:53 PM
That looks like it is too thick for the stock bell housing. What transmission was that supposed to have? T5 I hope

The pics I have seen of the flywheels have a weight welded on to them and are the same size as the Jeep version

jart_mn
11-09-2014, 09:18 PM
That looks like it is too thick for the stock bell housing. What transmission was that supposed to have? T5 I hope

It seems like it is too thick to me too when I look at the stock one on the 2.8L. I wasn't sure when I first saw it if it was different for performance characteristics or something and would work in the end, I haven't worked on this stuff long enough to know a whole lot though. The tranny on mine is an AX-5, I don't know what model the manual on the '95 Camaro was (all I ever see listed is 5-speed manual). I picked up a Chilton manual for the Camaro and can check it out when I get home in a day or 2.

The pics I have seen of the flywheels have a weight welded on to them and are the same size as the Jeep version

I believe the 2.8L has the weight on it, does the 3.4L? I thought with it being neutrally balanced it would look uniform.

4.3LXJ
11-09-2014, 11:53 PM
No, the 3.4 does not have the weight. You could always remove the weight carefully so you don't end up with any holes or pits

jart_mn
11-24-2014, 08:40 PM
The XJ's been put back on the back burner again. Seems like every time I think I can pick up a wrench again I end up with a few other things to deal with. Some for the better, some not so much. If we keep away from the 8 weeks of -20deg weather maybe this winter will be semi productive at least.

Think I'll be pulling the flywheel off my 2.8L and getting it balanced and resurfaced. Seems in good enough shape and that should let me get things together and I can move closer to a functional vehicle again.

Steve, the tranny listed in the Haynes is an RPO M49 as the manual 5 speed that would have been with that engine. Not one that I've heard of before.

4.3LXJ
11-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Me either. I had one with a Borg Warner T4.

jart_mn
02-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I thought I'd post a quick update on things. I picked up a flywheel for a '92 S10 2.8L that looks to be what I need. Found out from a V60 forum (and appears to be right looking at the flywheel in hand) that this would be the right match of balancing and depth/weight for what I've got going on. I'm hoping to have my buddy help me drop the engine in sometime soon, but otherwise don't plan on a lot of time towards the project right now. I've been pretty busy with a new promotion at work, my spring class, and some significant lifestyle adjustments (Lyme's treatment related) and would rather delay things a bit and be able to concentrate compared to cramming and rushing. If all goes well it'll probably be April'ish I get back on it.

Still listening to the podcast, reading a bunch on the forum, and very much motivated to keep the project moving. I will post pics if I get the engine in or anything else of interest.

86CherokeeChief
02-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Good luck with continuing the build! You got a solid platform to build from.

jart_mn
12-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Just to keep my build thread alive I figured I'd do a little typing. As I mentioned before, not a lot of progress is planned until I wrap up some other things. I've got my spring semester and summer registered for and after that will be done with my EE masters. That means I get to have fun again and unless I get my arm twisted for an MBA I should be done with school. Also the big compliance push for my job has a deadline of April 1 2016 so after that I get to start using some of my ~180 hours accrued vacation.

Last summer I did manage to plop the 3.4L into place. Here's a pic to prove it actually happened. It's possible I'll get some time between now and July but probably nothing too noteworthy. Hopefully then I'll be able to get this going.

http://www.xjtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=528&pictureid=4222

jart_mn
04-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Well, I'm still alive and kicking. Things haven't slowed down as much as I hoped and this has still been one of the easier things to put on the back burner. I'm trying to limit my summer projects this year and this should be one I focus on. The buddy I sold my CJ to is itching to get out, so that'll likely mean I'll have an extra set of hands for help. Hopefully I'll be posting some progress in the near future.