PDA

View Full Version : MaxTrax

bad luck
04-23-2014, 05:11 PM
I was at the vendor booths at the Easter Jeep Safari, when I saw these Maxtrax on display. I knew about them, they seem to work well from what I have researched. Just as I was about to purchase them, a local wheeler with tons of experience came by and offered some advice. Which I am always glad to get. This guy has trained forest service, blm and military people how to drive off road, so he really knows his stuff. Anyway he told me since I have a locker in the front axle, to put the ramps under the front wheels and drive up and then continue on with the rear wheels. Which will get you that much farther out of the stuck situation. Makes sense to me. Carves have you ever used these? They are made down under, or are you familiar with them? I just need my wife to make a cover for them to keep the uv rays off them. I also bought this military water can, it even says U.S. government property on it. Hopefully no soldier will beat me up and take it. Does anyone know where to buy military fuel cans, the Scepter plastic ones, I have one but want another one or two.

Carves
04-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Fairly common thing down here ... There's also another brand called Treds .... and a bunch of Chinese knockoffs.

What you bought is the most popular.

Dont own any myself ... I want four ... and cant justify the aus dollar price for four bits of plastic .. :rolleyes:

The ones I borrowed for a test worked great in sandy creek beds and similiar.
Didn't try em in mud ... I normally drive around bogholes where possible .. :D
Light to handle ... easy to clean.
Can be a projectile if you have a lead foot .. :D

Blokes that use em in soft beach sand usually tie a rope on them ... so they can find them when they get buried ..

Too bendy for bridging gaps tho ... and keep 'em protected from UV as you intend.

Good bit of kit all up .. :thumbsup:

bad luck
04-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks Carves, I thought you might be familiar with them. If they save me from getting stuck I think they will be worth it. The guy told me that they work great in the snow too, but I don't imagine you get much snow where your at.

Carves
04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Could be helpful in snow ?

Any white stuff on the ground in my neighbourhood - is either a rare, heavy frost, a dead sheep, or spill during the cotton harvest .. :D

Good thing about the maxtrax and similar .... is even if they don't get used much ... they are light and easy to store on the vehicle ... unlike chains and cables and hand winches and stuff.

prerunner1982
04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Would also make a decent backboard incase of an unfortunately accident.

Rocco83
04-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Would also make a decent backboard incase of an unfortunately accident.

Before I read anything and saw the picture I thought it was a backboard.

bad luck
04-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I think it would need some kind of pad to use as a backboard the protrusions are large.

bluedragon436
04-25-2014, 06:40 PM
I think it would need some kind of pad to use as a backboard the protrusions are large.

I think if it really comes down to it, I'd rather deal with a little bit of pain from no padding, over being stuck somewhere injured.....

Rocco83
04-25-2014, 07:55 PM

I wasn't sure whether or not both sides were like that.

I think if it really comes down to it, I'd rather deal with a little bit of pain from no padding, over being stuck somewhere injured.....

Depending on the injury. Something to the leg I could deal with the protrusions. Something to the back or neck those protrusions may cause more pain than the board being good. Either way if you can throw something over it to smooth out the ride I really like the dual purpose of it. What is the length on one of those?

bad luck
04-25-2014, 08:26 PM
I think they are about 4 feet long.

07Negative
05-02-2014, 09:43 AM
My boss has these for his grocery getter LandRover. He needs them bc he's one of these guys that lives vicariously through ads. They worked for him as well in a sandy area. But $400 for plastic is expensive. I can see the POU though