PDA

View Full Version : I need wiring help please

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Previose owner of my cherokee 96 classic has completly messed up the eletrical wiring under the dash. The blower motor doesnt work the stereo doesnt work when it worked the right side speakers cut in and out. There are wires that are cut and hanging underneath the dash wires twisted together moduales that dont belong. Anybody know or have the wiring diagrams and fuse diagrams and pictures that could help put it back to factory or at least fix my problem or can explain how cause im getting confused and annoyed now. I have the FSM for the jeep to but it doesnt help at all.

NW99XJ
04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
The wiring diagrams found in the Chilton or Haynes manuals are pretty good...
If you have an FSM it SHOULD have all the info you need.

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 12:26 PM
The wiring diagrams found in the Chilton or Haynes manuals are pretty good...
If you have an FSM it SHOULD have all the info you need.
It shows me this http://https://www.google.ca/search?q=1996+fuse+box+diagram&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0_ZXU_v1Dci42wWkj4GwAQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=961#q=jeep+cherokee+1996+Wiring+Fsm&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=MSycK4JqnLuy1M%253A%3Bed7NOCLmgRsWGM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fi245.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252F gg74%252Fsaloman10eighty%252Ffoglightwirediagram.j pg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.jeepsunlimited.com%252 Fforums%252Fshowthread.php%253F469090-if-someone-can-fix-my-foglights-ill-paypal-you-5-00%3B682%3B879 but that doesnt help me at all its like that photo

prerunner1982
04-23-2014, 12:30 PM
96 was a crossover year anyways. If your is a later run 96, the stuff for the early run 96 may not match. Good luck... and hope you have a multi-meter it will be your best friend during this job.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
That image that was posted is not of much benefit. The resolution is not good enough to zoom in on. What I would suggest is to pull the bezel and instruments and lower dash panel so you can get to some of the wiring and follow the colors. The factory has a different color wire for each circuit, except for ground which is black or has a black stripe. If you see stuff twisted together, try to get the colors matched and hooked back up. I know this sounds like not much help, but it really is. Once you have everything hooked up the way it should be, then you can start putting fuses back in. That blower motor is on a 25 amp fuse and should be good to go. But there is probably something hooked to it that has a short in it.

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
96 was a crossover year anyways. If your is a later run 96, the stuff for the early run 96 may not match. Good luck... and hope you have a multi-meter it will be your best friend during this job.
What do you mean a cross over year ? I'm pretty new to Cherokees and been using a a live wire tester to test the fuses and the fuse box and the wires that are tangled and hanging and its not getting me anywhere. its so jumbled up that you cant follow wires either and back at the fuse box some are live and some no and theirs a red wire coming out of a fuse slot.

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 12:38 PM
That image that was posted is not of much benefit. The resolution is not good enough to zoom in on. What I would suggest is to pull the bezel and instruments and lower dash panel so you can get to some of the wiring and follow the colors. The factory has a different color wire for each circuit, except for ground which is black or has a black stripe. If you see stuff twisted together, try to get the colors matched and hooked back up. I know this sounds like not much help, but it really is. Once you have everything hooked up the way it should be, then you can start putting fuses back in. That blower motor is on a 25 amp fuse and should be good to go. But there is probably something hooked to it that has a short in it.

Ive been trying to follow the colors back but when this guy did the work he replaced wires with just white wires so theirs some with color but most are just white and the blower motor is post to be on a 25 amp but he has a 40 amp in its place and has the stereo tied into it somewhere. Thanks Didn't know that black was ground

prerunner1982
04-23-2014, 12:42 PM
What do you mean a cross over year ?

At some point during the 96 model year they started changing things as the 97 body style was about to roll out. So something for a early 96 XJ may not be the same as on a late 96 XJ.

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 12:44 PM
At some point during the 96 model year they started changing things as the 97 body style was about to roll out. So something for a early 96 XJ may not be the same as on a late 96 XJ.

Ooh really ill have to look into that :) thank you

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 12:44 PM
When i get home i will take a picture of the wiring and ill post it to show you. there's also some modules screwed into the dash panel so i cant take it off fully and i have no clue what they are. hopefully you guys do

NW99XJ
04-23-2014, 12:45 PM
96 was the last year of the "old" body style... they changed everything over in 97 for the "late model" Cherokee's... the 96's have always been known to have a mish-mash of old and new wiring/parts/etc.
Another thing you could fall back on as a last resort, is to pull the dash wiring from a donor vehicle, and start over... its gonna be a big project, but it;s going to be more time consuming then hard.

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 12:48 PM
96 was the last year of the "old" body style... they changed everything over in 97 for the "late model" Cherokee's... the 96's have always been known to have a mish-mash of old and new wiring/parts/etc.
Another thing you could fall back on as a last resort, is to pull the dash wiring from a donor vehicle, and start over... its gonna be a big project, but it;s going to be more time consuming then hard.

I would love to pull he wiring all out but that's last resort and its nearly impossible to find a jeep down here in the junk yard everything jeep related that goes to junkyard is bought by a company down here. haven't seen a jeep or jeep parts there in years because of it

muskie
04-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Muskie here I've had the same problem with my "2000" XJ . Turns out that my XJ was built in august of 1999. IT has some thing about starting to build the Next years model . You can find your build date on the plate on the drivers door. That was the problem for me.Go by your build date when doing anything on your rig and projects will go much easier.

NW99XJ
04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Then I would start by pulling anything out that doesnt have a factory plug on the end of it... scrap the existing radio wiring all together, thats easily enough dealt with later down the road. The important thing is to get everything else working the way it should.
If everything else other than the blower is working, then that is really the only circuit you need to focus on/worry about for now.
Trace back the control wires as far back as you can go, and remove, isolate, cover/insulate as much of any splices that are in that.
Do the same for the blower motor wires.
There Is also a blower motor resistor that you may want to take a look at...this is what controls the fan. Here's is (basically) how that works:
When the key is turned on, the circuit is energized at the ignition switch. Power then flows from the fuse box to the blower mode switch to the speed selector switch. Once the speed is selected, power then flows to the appropriate wire in the blower motor resistor, and finally to the blower motor.
Here's what it looks like:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0-8EVd4NEB13GTqr7FRorX83G0dWwQyc5pvuvmAdsCyQScuJeQ8t hjpcHWKfMneH-3v68VJfm&usqp=CAE

And is located on the blower housing under the glove box:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg0QRZFV4dUjv4-Hr9sUS7HCf6wzzZLEoFQhPGQaZLaVMw4O4h

And the pertinent wiring diagram for it....
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/blackbeast1/blower%20motor/image002.jpg

Any module that is spliced into factory wiring should prob be removed... they could be old alarm systems, crossovers for old component speaker sets, control boxes for some funky aftermarket interior lighting, who knows.... just make sure if there is something that is tied into a circuit that is interrupted (one circuit wire cut, and each end tied into separate leads of some relay/control module/etc...) that you splice them back together one the module/etc. is removed.

Also take a VERY CLOSE LOOK at any wires that are brittle/corroded, insulation missing or discolored, or anything that looks like it got hot or melted.
This would apply for fuse locations in the fuse box, and plugs for harnesses in/under the dash.

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 04:14 PM
The Ground clamp that you see in the back with the red handles is mine For testing the fuse.

Everything else i have no clue what they are i have no clue what the red wire is either. This is all under the driver side. Every wire is live there and theres a couple fuse slots that are powerless

NW99XJ
04-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Well all those "modules" look like the ones that are supposed to be there.
I WOULD clean up the exposed wires though, and pull out anything that isnt connected to something else.

HeepJr
04-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Well all those "modules" look like the ones that are supposed to be there.
I WOULD clean up the exposed wires though, and pull out anything that isnt connected to something else.

are they okay They dont look like they are. ill have to look into that more but 5 of those color wires in the 1st and 2nd photo are dead and have no power

4.3LXJ
04-23-2014, 06:56 PM
are they okay They dont look like they are. ill have to look into that more but 5 of those color wires in the 1st and 2nd photo are dead and have no power

Not all wires will have power unless you have every accessory known to man on the build sheet. They make one wiring harness so they can add accessories as ordered and not have 164 different harnesses. You will need to see where they go. If they end up at a plug with no other end on it, that is an accessory you don't have. Or might go to a plug and the one on the other side may not have a wire at that terminal. Both are common things

HeepJr
04-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Not all wires will have power unless you have every accessory known to man on the build sheet. They make one wiring harness so they can add accessories as ordered and not have 164 different harnesses. You will need to see where they go. If they end up at a plug with no other end on it, that is an accessory you don't have. Or might go to a plug and the one on the other side may not have a wire at that terminal. Both are common things

Ooh okay that explains alot thanks

HeepJr
05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Need some more help while re doing wiring found these two thibgs no clue what they are the small metal cylander was extremly hot nit sure why only thing on was the cabin roof light. The cylanders under driverside and the other one is under passenger

HeepJr
05-11-2014, 04:52 PM
The one under passenger side the plug goes in the side if it btw

4.3LXJ
05-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Passenger side is a computer module. There are several in the 96, not sure which that is

HeepJr
05-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks any clue what the cylander is

4.3LXJ
05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Not sure. Looks like a relay of some kind. But for what, I don't know

HeepJr
05-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I need to replace the radio harness p.o sliced the crap out of the original one do you think this harness will work saw it at my local Canadian tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/e2-car-stereo-wiring-connector-for-1974-and-up-chrysler-vehicles-0350059p.html#.U3y6NH-9KSM

NW99XJ
05-22-2014, 09:14 AM
yea it should, but you'll either have to plug a factory stereo into that or get another wire harness that plugs into it, that you can hook up to an aftermarket stereo's harness.

HeepJr
05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
I have an aftermarket stereo nothing fancy what would i need to get

HeepJr
07-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Took my awhile to figure it out but i found out what happened the p.o installed a alarm system and one of those fancy vibration alarms and it was hidden behind the fuse box it was spliced into the ignition and a couple minor wires but it was causing a short out what stopped my wipers radio/cigar lighter and blower motor to stop working took it out and everything works perfectly :D Thanks for all the help. The wire i pulled was in one of the pics i posted earlier but the metal clip was taped over so i dint notice it.

4.3LXJ
07-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Good to know. Now you can go have some fun :D