PDA

View Full Version : Chat is entertainment?

muskie
04-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Muskie here I thought this forum WAS a place to ask for help on a problem with your rig!!! If I'm reading this right ,I just got my hands slapped from the moderators . I'm sorry if I took it wrong. I'm a "newbe" to this site I just want to help fellow xj owners who have a problem that took me a long time to figure out. It can be infuriating to not be able to get out on the trail when a simple ten minute fix is all it takes with a little help from a friend.

prerunner1982
04-23-2014, 10:58 AM
We have all been slapped a time or two...some of us like it more than others. :)

Don't take it personally. The reason chat is for entertainment is because the info is gone quickly and not searchable. If questions are being answered we want the info to be there to help others.

Hope you understand and don't run off, this really is a good group of informative people.

Also if you feel the action of the moderator was unjustified you can message Tony (Mudderoy) as he is an Admin.....

muskie
04-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Muskie here Thanks for that pat on the back . So where do I post my reply to one of us who posts a problem?

4.3LXJ
04-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Don't take it personally Mike. Chat is for entertainment. The reason is that if all tech was handled in chat, there wouldn't be any posts. So, humor us. We will be happy to answer your question. Post away.

NW99XJ
04-23-2014, 11:07 AM
We have all been slapped a time or two...some of us like it more than others. :)

Don't take it personally. The reason chat is for entertainment is because the info is gone quickly and not searchable. If questions are being answered we want the info to be there to help others.

Hope you understand and don't run off, this really is a good group of informative people.

^ ..what he said!
I wouldn't worry about it. There's alot of joking around and BSing that goes on in chat, and a technical question could easily get lost in translation, glazed over, or taken out of context/joked about...
And as Jon said above.... Having the information asked/answered in the threads of the forum makes it searchable, and is better archived for others in the future looking for answers to a similar problem.
I've been put in check a time or two when giving technical advice in chat.... it;s not like its "against the rules" or anything , and you're at risk of getting an infraction or kicked off the site... we're all pretty laid back here, and just want to make sure that the techy stuff is in the right section so that it can help the most people. Now if you're in an emergency situation, and need some quick advice, and know that someone in chat may be able to help you right away, then by all means... we're all here to help each other out...

So on that note ...welcome! :patriot: lol

prerunner1982
04-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Muskie here Thanks for that pat on the back . So where do I post my reply to one of us who posts a problem?

Do you mean if someone posts a question in chat?... ask them to post it in the forum so that we can all help them out. No biggy.

If you are in doubt of where to post your question/comment. Post it anywhere, it can be moved to the best location decided by a moderator.

:thumbsup:

EekGirl96
04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Dont worry about it, like Jon said, it happens to everyone at one point in time here. We just like to keep it seperated so that it doesnt clog up chat and so that your question/answer doesnt get ignored, etc (also not all the forum members use chat so by posting it in the forums youll get more of a response)

Feel free to post away, we'll move it if we need to. And to post a reply simply do what your doing here!!! Easy peasy :)

And welcome to the forum,...glad to have yeah!!!

Mudderoy
04-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Muskie here I thought this forum WAS a place to ask for help on a problem with your rig!!! If I'm reading this right ,I just got my hands slapped from the moderators . I'm sorry if I took it wrong. I'm a "newbe" to this site I just want to help fellow xj owners who have a problem that took me a long time to figure out. It can be infuriating to not be able to get out on the trail when a simple ten minute fix is all it takes with a little help from a friend.

Cantab takes great delight (I believe) in slapping me when I talk tech in chat and I own this site! :patriot:

The idea is this. If you ask for help in chat you MAY get help from one or two people and that advise will help only one person, you. If you post your question in the forums, then many people can give you an answer, perhaps one will be the correct one. :D Also people will benefit for years later from your question and the answers given.

So we decided to make CHAT for entertainment only as it helps the most people. Besides if everyone asks questions in chat and no one posts then the forum dies and it helps no one.

I hope you understand the reasoning behind it now.

BTW, welcome to the site! Thanks for joining us.

Mudderoy
04-23-2014, 11:31 AM

If I understand your question correctly, "How do I post?" If you look at the navigation bar near the top of each xjtalk page, you'll see "POST!" Just click that. Don't worry about the right place to post, the admins or moderators can move it. You'll learn how to get around the site soon enough. The important thing to us is that you post your questions, or comments.