PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk oil filters!

ArmyGuy45
04-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Does it matter which you buy? Can you go 6k miles with some and 3k with other brands?

bluedragon436
04-21-2014, 09:55 PM
You can go 6k with any of them... just a matter of whether it is a good idea or not... LOL I think I would change my oil every 3k regardless of what filter I'm running, and every time I change the oil, I'd change the filter anyways, so no point in me spending more money on filters that'll last longer then 3k miles...

cantab27
04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
wee tip ...when changing filters make sure the rubber washer comes away with the old one ......makes a hell of a mess and waste good oil when ya don't .......um yeah someone told me .....oil stain on concrete floor was already there .....honest

Brasscatz
04-21-2014, 11:14 PM
I usually go mid-grade with my filters unless the auto parts store has some oil change special where you get 5 qts of 'brand X' oil and 'brand X' filter for cheaper.

Yeah, the o-ring has never come off for me, but I always check. Now here's the real debate.... do you rub some oil on the o-ring of the new filter when you apply? :D I do, but some say not to do it.

bluedragon436
04-21-2014, 11:18 PM
I usually run a Fram filter (never had an issue with them on my 4.0 like I've seen all over the internet)... But then I started running Mopar filters on my vehicles, and have loved them... And I learned about the oil filter seal not coming off when my uncle did it a great many years back changing oil on my grandmother's Caravan...

XJ Wheeler
04-21-2014, 11:25 PM
I always rub some new oil on mine when changing em out.

For the filter I will never go with Wix, had some bad experience with them. I do fork out for the K&N for a few reasons. Its been proven to be well built, even cut away and examined. I can attest to the strength of the shell, bent one up horribly bad once but it never ripped. Whereas one of the cheaper brands, I think it was motorcraft, had the same problem on my bronco2 and it tore to shreds. And also the ability to use a socket on the top helps with the great position jeep designed the oil filter location.

Also have used A/C Delco with good results on our work trucks. Good filters at a good price.

bluedragon436
04-21-2014, 11:54 PM
I also put oil on my filter seals, but that is because I was always told to do so when I was taught to do oil, plus we do it on all filters and connections on the aircraft, to keep the seals from tearing up when you are tightening the filters or connections, so figure it is good to do on an item that will be tested seal wise @ 30+ thousand feet... then it should be good on my oil filter too...

ArmyGuy45
04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
I also put oil on my filter seals, but that is because I was always told to do so when I was taught to do oil, plus we do it on all filters and connections on the aircraft, to keep the seals from tearing up when you are tightening the filters or connections, so figure it is good to do on an item that will be tested seal wise @ 30+ thousand feet... then it should be good on my oil filter too...

Same here! But I have have always just used the old oil to rub on the seal.

I have heard that K&N oil filters give you more hp and can go every other oil change. Anyone think this is true?

Anyone find any good deals on bulk packs?

denverd1
04-22-2014, 02:57 PM
I have heard that K&N oil filters give you more hp and can go every other oil change. Anyone think this is true?

K&N at it again with their bolt-on HP adders. I DO, like the hex head on the end... IMO Any filter that claimed to give more HP (from decreased resistance at the cam/oil pump) isn't doing its job: cleaning the oil.

Also, never seen the purpose in buying a case of filters. Everything I have takes a different filter. My current consumption rate is about 1 filter per year in the jeep. Not worth the 10% savings on $50 worth of filters that will sit around for a decade... hell the SPACE in my garage is more valuable than that.

denverd1
04-22-2014, 02:59 PM
my favorite way to get them off:
http://www.phattire.net/blog/2012/oilchange-4.jpg

abebehrmann
04-22-2014, 03:16 PM
I always use the Mobil1 brand oil filters mostly because I'm a sucker and I think, "$5 more for Mobil 1 brand?! It MUST be better!" plus I use Mobil full synthetic.

I use the oversized filter (M1-301) because it's the same price and bigger is always better, right?!

I always rub a little oil on the gasket to ensure it gets a good seal and doesn't bake onto the engine. I also always pour ~1/2 a quart into the filter before installing it because my dad always did it and he told me it helps prevent oil starvation the first time you start it after an oil change. Don't know if that's true and even if it were true I doubt it would have much of an effect. But it seems plausible and he's never steered me wrong.

abebehrmann
04-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Oh, here's the oversized filter chart from Eric Zappe's High Performance XJ book for other brands in case anyone else is interested in it. (For 93+ XJs with horizontal filter position with SAE threads)

denverd1
04-22-2014, 03:50 PM
I use the oversized filter (M1-301) because it's the same price and bigger is always better, right?!

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

So whats the purpose of the oversize filter... cleaner oil?

I run mine about 2 quarts low... so that I'm quicker off the line!! :crazy: (kidding)

Bob the oil guy says hi capacity filters may take longer to build pressure..

abebehrmann
04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

So whats the purpose of the oversize filter... cleaner oil?

I run mine about 2 quarts low... so that I'm quicker off the line!! :crazy:

I think the reasoning is:
1) more filter surface area so can filter out more crap before losing effectiveness
2) it increases the oil capacity marginally so it SHOULD stay slightly cleaner and slightly cooler.

Rocco83
04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
I always have used oversized Wix filters in my Jeeps and have never had an issue. Also use Shell Rotella T5 oil. I was also taught when I was a wee lad to always rub oil around the seals. Always used the old oil. More superstition than anything when I use the old oil. I figure if my vehicle didn't blow up with he old oil it holds magical powers that will bless my vehicle for another 5-6k miles.

ArmyGuy45
04-22-2014, 05:36 PM
All very good tips. Thank you!

Pookapotamus
04-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Here is a great tip that I do myself, use a large hose clamp to clamp a magnet to the outside, helps to grab any small metal particles and you throw them away every time you change your oil.

ArmyGuy45
04-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Here is a great tip that I do myself, use a large hose clamp to clamp a magnet to the outside, helps to grab any small metal particles and you throw them away every time you change your oil.

Never thought of that. Great idea!

4.3LXJ
04-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Nice one Pook

muskie
04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
muskie here Thats just CLASSIC I wish I'd thought of that!!! Heck why not you're going to throw it out anyway right? Besides it's a good way to drain the dumb thing before removing it. That way you don't get a handful of dirty oil when you take it off!