PDA

View Full Version : 94' xj no start (out of ideas)

jhearty88
04-21-2014, 06:27 PM
First off ill start with the truck and what was done to it. Its a 94 xj sport 4.0l auto with a Chrysler 8.25" in the back. Ive owned the truck for about two years and in that time i have done alot of maintenance getting the truck running great. Some random things ive done are the rear main seal oil pump and pan gasket, front axle joints, alternator battery starter u-joints and a rough country 3.5" lift on it with 31" general grabbers.

Around September my distributor started chirping so i replaced it and all was well. Over the winter i installed refurbished "703" neon injectors and it was running great up until the beginning of this month.
The problem started as a little hiccup in the idle with the combination of hard starting and a hesitation from a stop. Also i noticed that the distributor was shaking but not loose at all (almost as if the shaft was off balance?)
wondering what my problem was i started be looking for vac leaks and checking fuel pressure. Everything was good so i went on to replace the ignition wires cap and rotor and then the cps. nothing worked and my truck was getting harder to start every day (one thing i noticed was that if i floored the gas pedal while cranking it i could get it to sputter ans start). i gave up and send it to a mechanic (he wasn't happy i decided to work on it myself but still said he'd check it out.) He told me he wanted change the spark plugs replace the iat sensor the distributor and the intake manifold gasket. He wanted $900 but im fully capable of changing plus and the distributor was still under warranty so i paid him to do the intake/exhaust mani gasket and when i picked it up it still ran/started like shit. That night i went to start it and couldent get it to start up soo i decided to pull that distributor and went to advance auto and got a new one. I installed it and still i get no start. I havnt re checked fuel pressure but the pump is def priming with the key and i have pressure at the schrader valve. ive pulled a spark plug and grounded it while cranking and i get spark. I decided to try some started fluid but still i get nothing. This is extremely frustrating and my last guess is the ecu took a shit but im pretty much clueless, if anyone can help that would be great!

Sorry for the long read and thanks in advance < Justin

cantab27
04-21-2014, 07:44 PM
have ya swapped out the tps

4.3LXJ
04-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Yup, I think the TPS needs a little attention

bluedragon436
04-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Well I would recommend taking it back to the mechanic if he did the gasket saying it was going to be that and tell him that didn't fix shit... and that you want him to actually fix it... and tell him what has already been changed out that he recommended to no avail!!

jhearty88
04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Any problem with getting one from advance auto or should I stick with an oem sensor?

jhearty88
04-22-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm going to swap the tps when I get home and I'll report back, hopefully this is the answer to all my problems haha wish me luck

4.3LXJ
04-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Good luck