PDA

View Full Version : Questions for small and big lifted XJ owners

Wolfie
04-19-2014, 10:56 PM
So while I sit here at work playing with the guard dogs a question popped into my head.

When I first got my XJ it had 31s on it. Cut fenders on Stock height. Well me being who I am I thought its already this way. Why not lift it?

So I did. Well come up until I retired my jeep for a short period of time I had planned on 5" of lift. Never truly testing how much a 3" lift with 31s and cut fenders could do.

I can easily fit 33s no problem. So its not as much about tire size. Though it kinda is. Slightly. But as I put more thought into it. Do I really need a 5" lift?

In case anyone wants to know. I have 3.5 in the rear now. So what I was going to do was use my 1.5-2" lift shackles for the rear. And was thinking about 2" spacer up front but I am not thinking 6" lift TJ wrangler coils which on an XJ would sit at 5" of lift.

But again. I actually don't know if I truly need 5" of lift. I mean Wisconsin doesn't exactly have a bunch of wheeling spots. And I'm sure 3" of lift with the amount of wheel travel I have thanks to the cut fenders I could do quite a bit. And then we get into my XJ is my DD. And I do a crap ton of freeway driving. Would a 5" lift start to kick my arse on the highway?

I dunno I've been reading a bunch of stuff on the internet about this. And the stuff I do with my XJ the current set up has worked perfectly. But I always want to do more with my XJ. And I have most of the parts I need to go to 5" of lift. I'm just unsure of what I should do.

So some opinions/stories/videos/advise/whatever would be greatly appreciated. Plus it gives me something to do at work when I'm not busy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Sneedle Vision
04-19-2014, 11:29 PM
It sounds like your 3" lift and 33's would suit you just fine. As long as you have some good shocks, highway driving should be comfy.

If you do decide to go higher, don't forget about your driveshaft and transfer case slip yoke upgrade too.

Wolfie
04-19-2014, 11:33 PM
It sounds like your 3" lift and 33's would suit you just fine. As long as you have some good shocks, highway driving should be comfy.

If you do decide to go higher, don't forget about your driveshaft and transfer case slip yoke upgrade too.

Guess I should have added I have an SYE already.

I'm just a bit unsure of what to do. And am having a hard time finding threads about XJs with 3" of lift doing a bunch of hardcore stuff that the "big boys" are doing.

Wolfie
04-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Found my answer here

http://m.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=32980

I have been reading through a lot of crap before I found this.

Kinda feel dumb I created this thread. Because I was hoping it would create debate and what not so when people new to lifting and what not come along they might find this and find all of their answers.

Actually let's keep this thread going. Get a discussion going? Something. I enjoy helping people find answers. Especially because I usually have so many.

cantab27
04-20-2014, 01:38 AM
3inch lift be fine ......then it comes down to picking lines and smarter driving when wheeling .........throw bigger muds on like 33s then the gas goes down a bit on the black top.....what else ya running ....I be inclined to spend on recovery gear , winch ,armour ......my old xj 3inch and 31s then someone told me I couldn't run 33s on 3 inch lift ........ha ha grinder

Wolfie
04-20-2014, 01:51 AM
3inch lift be fine ......then it comes down to picking lines and smarter driving when wheeling .........throw bigger muds on like 33s then the gas goes down a bit on the black top.....what else ya running ....I be inclined to spend on recovery gear , winch ,armour ......my old xj 3inch and 31s then someone told me I couldn't run 33s on 3 inch lift ........ha ha grinder

Hey cantab! Its Axel1831 from Cherokeeforum. I couldn't get on the account I had on here. Dunno what happened. Plus I had like no posts so I wasn't all that worried to be honest.

As she sits.

3" Rusty's coils up front 3.5" lift fron s10 bastard pack in the rear. Thinking about figuring out how to get 3.5 springs or .5" spacer.

IRO HD double shear adjustable track bar. I know its overkill but I wanted it.

IRO HD adjustable lower control arms. Don't need the uppers but I think I will get them if i decided to stay with (I might be wrong but I believe they are) mid arms. And not go long arms.

IRO hack n tap SYE.

TJ wrangler sway bar links up front. Homebrew discos basically.

Also need extended break lines. Should also probably start upgrading steering stuff.

And at the moment blown ZJ rear shocks and YJ front shocks. Thinking about bilstein 5100 shocks for 4 or 4.5" of lift for flex and what not.

I need bump stops yet. I don't have lockers. I don't have bumpers for recovery stuff yet. I don't have a snorkel yet (still. I know we talked about that like 2 years ago)

I don't have 2x6 tubes for rock sliders yet. I really want them tho. I don't have any skid plates. Don't have frame stiffeners. I have a very basic rig right now.

I have a plan to change all of this. Its just a matter of I don't have the money. But seeing how I am not thinking about only putting the front up a half inch costs go down a bit. Plus I can sell a bunch of stuff I have for going to 5".

4.3LXJ
04-20-2014, 09:47 AM
The half inch spacer up front is easy. Just use the stock rubber isolator that goes on top of the coil. You can stack them and it will give you that half inch

Mudderoy
04-20-2014, 10:08 AM
So while I sit here at work playing with the guard dogs a question popped into my head.

When I first got my XJ it had 31s on it. Cut fenders on Stock height. Well me being who I am I thought its already this way. Why not lift it?

So I did. Well come up until I retired my jeep for a short period of time I had planned on 5" of lift. Never truly testing how much a 3" lift with 31s and cut fenders could do.

I can easily fit 33s no problem. So its not as much about tire size. Though it kinda is. Slightly. But as I put more thought into it. Do I really need a 5" lift?

In case anyone wants to know. I have 3.5 in the rear now. So what I was going to do was use my 1.5-2" lift shackles for the rear. And was thinking about 2" spacer up front but I am not thinking 6" lift TJ wrangler coils which on an XJ would sit at 5" of lift.

But again. I actually don't know if I truly need 5" of lift. I mean Wisconsin doesn't exactly have a bunch of wheeling spots. And I'm sure 3" of lift with the amount of wheel travel I have thanks to the cut fenders I could do quite a bit. And then we get into my XJ is my DD. And I do a crap ton of freeway driving. Would a 5" lift start to kick my arse on the highway?

I dunno I've been reading a bunch of stuff on the internet about this. And the stuff I do with my XJ the current set up has worked perfectly. But I always want to do more with my XJ. And I have most of the parts I need to go to 5" of lift. I'm just unsure of what I should do.

So some opinions/stories/videos/advise/whatever would be greatly appreciated. Plus it gives me something to do at work when I'm not busy.

From a pure technical aspect, we lift our Jeeps so we can put larger tires on. The tire diameter is what gives more ground clearance, not the suspension lift.

Getting that differential up off the ground is the key.

So like what I believe everyone is saying, if the tire size fits without cutting the tires during articulation you're just as good as someone with a 6.5" lift and 33's.

Personally I like sitting up high.

Wolfie
04-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Well I know the tire thing. But after finding my answer I just want the smart people to add stuff so maybe it will help people. Consolidate all the info in one spot if it hasn't already been done.

wtfjackbbq
04-21-2014, 05:53 AM
A lot of factors go into lift a tire size decisions. IMHO staying lower is better. It keeps steering, control arms, and weight down lower. If you wheel in a lot of water and mud and do a lot of hill climbs, having a higher belly could help to stay out of the mud and help with break over angles. Lockers armor and proper bump stops will help out a lot more than a lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EekGirl96
04-21-2014, 08:58 AM
,I for awhile, ran a 3.5" lift with 33's on my XJ and she was my DD and weekend crawler. I did have a locker in the front but she kept up with the "big boys"....did have rubbing even with my fenders cut but it didnt really bother me.

Wolfie
04-22-2014, 12:21 AM
,I for awhile, ran a 3.5" lift with 33's on my XJ and she was my DD and weekend crawler. I did have a locker in the front but she kept up with the "big boys"....did have rubbing even with my fenders cut but it didnt really bother me.

See that's kinda more what I want to do. I'm a bit undecided seeing I have most of the stuff to go bigger. But the more I read about what people with smaller lifts (2"-4" we will call smaller) the more I'm thinking what I have will be fine.

Besides I don't have lockers. And am completely undecided on what I want to do for lockers. Do I want a lunch box locker in the rear which is a stock C8.25 27 spline. Do I want to get a stronger axle then do a locker? Or keep the 27 spline 8.25?

Then as for the front. I mean I should probably do a selectable locker. But do I know what I want to do with the front like the rear? Nope.

I guess the other thing with this thread is for both small and big lifts give some feedback/advise. I don't make much money so each mod usually happens after some time.