PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Cherokee Sport

gsxrjammie
04-17-2014, 08:58 PM
So here will be the first post on my new to me jeep. Been driving this thing for a couple of weeks now. That is what I do to any used vehicle I bring home. Just tag it and drive it without doing anything to it for a little bit just to see what quirks and issues might arrive. Cosmetics are a non issue right now because what does a cool looking jeep do if it doesn't run great? So I am here with my current issues.

-Gets warm in traffic and at slower speeds. Keeping heater on helps.
-No fan shroud on the mechanical fan.
-Temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and volt gauge all fluctuate while driving.
-Oil leaking from oil pan and I am assuming the rear main seal.
-During hard rain water enters the glove box :bang:
-Rattle in the exhaust on start up sounds like the guts are loose in the cat

So today I bought the following.
-Radiator (was looking at a flush and priced a new radiator and just got the new one to call it good)
-Temp sending unit (just to be safe)
-Thermostat and gasket
- oil pan gasket
-rear main seal
-fresh oil and filter
Going to be sprucing up the oil leaks and cooling system first and fore most. Exhaust guy is going to cut out the cat convert. and install a nice flowmaster I have down stairs for $40 bucks. I just would like to not be leaking oil on him when I take it to him. This is the start of a soon to be awesome daily drive/light trail rig!

4.3LXJ
04-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a great start Jammie. On that heat, XJs have a marginal cooling system anyway. You need that shroud, so I would recommend getting one while you are at it and also check that fan clutch and make sure it is working properly. They normally run at 210°, so if that is what you see, then you are fine. Does the efan come on at all?

XJ Wheeler
04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Good start! You're so right about it needing to be running and driving right first, and a modified rig second. I myself succumb to the temptation of modifying before righting the problems and its cost me. Hope the work goes well and get to showing us what this rig is gonna turn into.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

gsxrjammie
04-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Sounds like a great start Jammie. On that heat, XJs have a marginal cooling system anyway. You need that shroud, so I would recommend getting one while you are at it and also check that fan clutch and make sure it is working properly. They normally run at 210°, so if that is what you see, then you are fine. Does the efan come on at all?

Have a shroud to put on it already! Forgot to add that to the original post sorry. I know shrouds can be really important on some vehicles. The efan came on once but the temp gauge was pretty high up there...maybe 230ish or so if I was guessing. Fan clutch is good.

nickyg
04-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Your 95 sounds like how my 96 was.. My suggestions, for what's worth:
1. I picked up a shroud from amazon for about 15 bucks .

2.Might want to replace the fan clutch while your in there. They stuff inside do go bad. and not let it spin fast enough.

3. you might want to check the oil filter adapter. Mine was leaking. As I drove down the road the wind would blow it up to the rear of the motor so it looked like the rear main was leaking.

4. If you spray soapy water around the outside of your windshield along the seal then blow air along the seam from the inside it will bubble where it leaks. then try some flowable silicon.

Good luck and lets see some pictures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpGfoZrM90s

gsxrjammie
04-17-2014, 09:48 PM
I am not 100 percent sure the rear main is leaking. There is a lot of oil from the pan. I am going to be pulling the pan to do that gasket, so I am going to just tackle the rear main while im at it, and clean the oil pump pick up just for good measure. I think the shroud I got was like $18 with shipping so close enough! Currently shopping around a 1998 Kawasaki ZX6R project bike I have...trying to get a quick sell out of it so I an get myself a lift and some newer wheels and tires!

bluedragon436
04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Seems like you have a pretty good plan of attack on the Jeep... I like plan to let the bike go to fund the Jeep project!!

gsxrjammie
04-19-2014, 01:40 AM
Yes! the ninja is just a side project I had...I have a bigger bike I ride myself...got a good deal on the 600 so I got it to try to make a few bucks on it this summer....now I have a jeep...lol...needs more lift...

gsxrjammie
04-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Well I did the oil pan and rear main seal and the radiator and all of that. Jeep idles around 220-230 degrees. Has a 160 degree thermostat in it. Still have oil leaking down on the starter and running down the bottom side of the oil filter ( I am assuming oil filter housing is leaking) and maybe the valve cover still leaking...its all hitting the exhaust where it crosses under the trans....guess I will order the oil filter housing stuff this week and tackle it next weekend..