PDA

View Full Version : Budget lift question and possible nightmare

rabies
04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
i have a set of 31-32" tires coming.
iv trimmed the fenders. i think before putting tires on i should at least put some kind of lift on it for the time being.
problem is my suspension is very rusty(unibody/frame rails are actualy very good)

whats the difference between lift shackle-add a leaf-new leaf pack?
granted a longer shackle is cheaper and easier to put on, does that mean its not the best idea?
i see alot of lift kits come with the shackles.
problem..im pretty sure the leaf pack rear bolt and bushing with need hacked and cut and destroyed(nto enough $ right now for a new leaf pack)
any suggestions how to remove the bolt without killing the bushing?
i can always get a new bolt. but usualy the bolt and bushing sleeve seize together:mad:

adding a leaf could be more of a nightmare.
all of this is "temperary" until i get a full 4.5" kit. long arms etc.

my jeep is pretty level. if i get a 3" spacer and 2" shackle...wouldnt the front of the jeep be higher?
thanks.
looking at a $80 for sapcers and shackles off ebay to work for the nxt couple weeks
**keep in mind everyting suspension wise will end up being swapped out for newer better parts over time***

4.3LXJ
04-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Considering your rust problem, I suggest you consider a bastard pack. It sounds like your U bolts may be trashed, but if you do anything to the rear springs you will have to deal with that. You can make a bastard pack without removing the main leaf and it is just as good as buying a full leaf pack. The S10 pack will give you 3.5" over stock height and if you add a shackle you may be able to not have to deal with too much rust later. However, the best option would be to use a 1" block you can make yourself to get the extra inch. Then you can beat some rust headaches. So if you do this plan ahead and get U bolts that are for a 2" block. You will have threads left over, but so what. I use them and they allow you to tune your suspension anytime you want

Rocco83
04-17-2014, 07:59 PM
I have 30s with no lift and looking at it when I'm at full turn I still have a few inches of play. You could probably get away with the 1" blocks and be fine for awhile.

nickyg
04-17-2014, 09:40 PM
I have 31's on a 2 inch budget lift. Spacers up front and 1 leaf from a s10. It's a lil snug, I wish I had a one more inch.

Rocco83
04-18-2014, 05:59 AM
I have 31's on a 2 inch budget lift. Spacers up front and 1 leaf from a s10. It's a lil snug, I wish I had a one more inch.

That's what she said.

nickyg
04-18-2014, 07:01 AM
LOL, I saw that right after I hit the submit post button.

rabies
04-18-2014, 08:24 AM
thanks guys. i read about the s10 leaf pack some. is it the full pack? just bolts in.
does it matter if it comes from 2wd or 4x4? what year? i have a 98.

seen a WJ and a ZJ in the junkyard. wish i had access to my welder those jeeps had 4link rears :)

JBone
04-18-2014, 08:42 AM
thanks guys. i read about the s10 leaf pack some. is it the full pack? just bolts in.
does it matter if it comes from 2wd or 4x4? what year? i have a 98.

seen a WJ and a ZJ in the junkyard. wish i had access to my welder those jeeps had 4link rears :)

Here is what I'm going to do with my lift setup in the rear to achieve a 3 inch lift. As I live the in the rust belt of New England, I'm using a S-10 main leaf off a 99 Blazer 4x4 (3 leaf springs with overload) Same as the S-10 (under axle). Then I going to use a shackle relocation bracket from Ironman Andy to bring the rear to ~3.5". This would should be a great setup as it should provide good shackle angle too.

rabies
04-18-2014, 09:10 AM
i see. i dont want to go over 3" until have i more money to extend brake lines/yokes/pitman arm/shocks etc. its my daily driver a brake down would result in driving a goofy looking subura wagon.
so just an s10 leaf pack could result in a weird(not so good) shackle angle? but ok for a few weeks?

JBone
04-18-2014, 09:16 AM
If you use the whole S-10 leaf pack, meaning you install all the S-10 leafs under the main XJ leaf, you'll end up with 4 to 4.5 inches of lift. Anytime you add leafs to your existing leaf (like add a leafs and S-10 leafs) it puts more of an arch in your main leaf and the shackles angle could be almost at a 90 degree angle, not good.

rabies
04-18-2014, 09:19 AM
oh i was talking about just swapping out leaf pack for leaf pack. the whole deal. obvisously new Ubolts cuz il prolly have to cut mine off(which makes a startling snap)

JBone
04-18-2014, 09:22 AM
S-10 Leaf packs are longer in length. You would have to move the axle back and make new rear shackle pockets. Its been done but a lot of work. Just add the leafs you want under your main XJ leaf to achieve the desired lift. This way there is no need to remove the dreaded front bolts that like to strip in the frame pocket.

nickyg
04-18-2014, 07:36 PM
I used just 1 leaf. the one right under the top leaf with bolt ears
I added it to my leaf pack I didn't take my top leaf spring off to do it
As you can see in the pic the s10 spring has more arch.
Mine was from a 2x2 s10 blazer

nickyg
04-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Here's a video that helps explain it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGnBPSO9Dg

reddragon72
04-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Just wanna let you guys know that a bastard pack will ride rough. The arching the main leef will cause the shacks to be 90 degrees to the body.

You can get away with it but its a rough ride.

I solved the rough ride via shackle relocate brackets.