PDA

View Full Version : 98 "Rat Rod" build

chrisxj74
04-15-2014, 08:39 PM
So this is my second jeep, but my first 4x4. It is a 98 sport with a 4.0 and 231 transfercase. I am not sure as to the axels but they are stock. A little back story here is I bought the jeep from my boss after I totaled my 96 classic and then he blew the head gasket on his. It has 329000 on it. And lets just say it needed some love. I pulled the motor out of the 96 and swapped it in after a complete gasket service and clean up. At the same time I serviced the tranny and transfer case with new seals and fluids. Put it all back in and she fired right up. Now I am in process of matching the interior to the leather seats, gray to tan, long story involving wife and father inlaw.

I hope to keep it moving and here a few pics showing isues and where im at. Plans are a 4.5 inch lift lots of lights and basically going the full shtf-bugbout route with it. I will upload all the pics I have as soon as I hit the laptop as I posting this with my phone.

cantab27
04-15-2014, 10:24 PM
sweet pics..............

chrisxj74
04-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Yeah I was trying to upload off of phone and it didnt quite work :rolleye0012:

I hope to have some up this afternoon

chrisxj74
04-16-2014, 01:32 PM
So here are a few pics of the old and the new. Also this is where I blew apart the transfer case and rebuilt it.

chrisxj74
04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
So this is the open heart surgery, it was so sad to do this it broke my heart to see this old girl go as it was such a good Jeep. But it donated its soul to the green machine and it will live on.

In case you are wondering why I called this a rat rod build is because my WIFE made the suggestion to paint it flat black and leave the red wheels. Who knew she had taste lol.

The story on the wheels is this, I work for Universal Studios in Olando and these are the wheels off of the wrangler that was destroyed in the movie. Yes they are from the movie, it was stored on our back lot and was going to be used in the ride or out in the park but it never materialized so they parted out the jeep and I got them for a song ($20). So when my wife saw them on the green Jeep, not her favorite color she made the suggestion. So that is the direction I was planning on going, but it was weird that she like read my mind or something.

abebehrmann
04-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Awesome, Another Orlando member! I moved here about a year ago. Let me know if you ever need a hand, I'm always down to turn some wrenches

Rocco83
04-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Am I missing something. You said "the movie" a few times and never mentioned the actual name. Was it Jurassic Park!

chrisxj74
04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
I am so sorry yes I meant Jurassic park.

Rocco83
04-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Too awesome

XJ Wheeler
04-17-2014, 12:16 AM
That is very cool! Nice score!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

chrisxj74
04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Xjwheeler do you have a write up on how you installed your cowl lights? I have some cowl damage due to the hood opening to far and am looking for way to cover it up. Even if I didn't have damage I still wanted to mount a set their.

abebehrmann
04-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Xjwheeler do you have a write up on how you installed your cowl lights? I have some cowl damage due to the hood opening to far and am looking for way to cover it up. Even if I didn't have damage I still wanted to mount a set their.

I think they're actually mounted to the A-pillars.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11360&highlight=stormy&page=11

XJ Wheeler
04-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Abe's correct (thanks for posting the link). They are mounted to the a-pillars with some 1/8" steel mounts i made.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/stormy/2011-10-23155001-1.jpg

Personally i don't suggest securing lights (especially bigger/heavier ones) to the cowl. It is really thin metal on the outside and plastic for the center panel.

chrisxj74
04-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Any chance I can financially persuade you to build me a set then? I really like that look as well as the function of that location.

XJ Wheeler
04-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Any chance I can financially persuade you to build me a set then? I really like that look as well as the function of that location.

I truly appreciate the admiration but my life is really upside down right now. I don't even have the tools at home to make them plus i'm not even gonna be there for any good amount of time. Thoroughly sorry about it but i have thought about investing some to be able to sell these and others.