PDA

View Full Version : Jeep speakers

CaliXJKid
04-14-2014, 02:35 PM
I have a 2000 xj and I am planning on getting new speakers for both the two front doors and the 2 speakers. What size are they and what's a good brand to get?
Thanks guys

Rocco83
04-14-2014, 02:42 PM
6.5" size and Alpine is a good brand. 5.25 are the OEM size on the front, but 6.5 works as long as you get ones that are fairly shallow.

NW99XJ
04-14-2014, 02:53 PM
^^^ Yup... 5.25 is the stock size, front and rear.
You CAN fit 6.5" in the doors, but they have to be a little more shallow, or else the window will hit them, and wont go all the way down.
As to the brands, Infinity's are great, so are Alpine, JBL, Kenwood are pretty good and so is Sony, but I would prefer the other two over those.
Pioneer makes some good entry level stuff that wont break the bank, and if you're looking for high end stuff, then go with Focal, JL Audio, or MB Quart.
Stay away from the "swap meet" brands like BOSS, Audiobahn, Thump, LA Sound, MA Audio, Kraco, Dual, etc...
The list for both good and bad are a mile long.... but if you have something you're looking at and would like my professional opinion on, let me know.
I worked in the industry for a decade, and would like to think I know my stuff.....

07Negative
04-14-2014, 04:28 PM
I like the Focal speakers. They're really well balanced. Even their cheap line is a really clean sound. The JL's are pretty killer, but I still prefer the Focal line. Boston Accoustics was kick butt. I haven't heard anything from them recently. But I had 6 of their speakers in my 85' 4Runner.
Also keep in mind budget. If you really want to achieve an overall great sound system. Take your time and do one thing at a time. The XJ's are great speaker boxes. Components in both front & rear with a 10" sub sounds great with a parametric EQ for tuning. An Eclipes head unit will play scratched up CD's all day long.

CaliXJKid
04-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Sweet thanks for the help guys.

Rocco83
04-14-2014, 05:57 PM
If it is a trail rig is skip a cd deck and just grab a mp3 head unit with aux and USB out. Focal are really nice. I usually roll with JL myself. I worked at a custom audio place while in high school and the owner still gives me a discount on JL stuff so it brings it to a comparable price to other stuff.

Pioneer makes some decent stuff in the lower price range, but I'd probably skip out on most of their stuff except the Premier line.

Memphis isn't too bad and you can find them on good sales from time to time. Anymore questions on audio I'm sure to can find a good answer here :)

Sneedle Vision
04-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I put Polk Audio 6.5" slim-mounts in and they work great for me. Decently priced and fit with no issues. Just another option!

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41N3lGu4sTL.@@AMEPARAM@@41N3lGu4sTL

Rocco83
04-14-2014, 07:21 PM
I put Polk Audio 6.5" slim-mounts in and they work great for me. Decently priced and fit with no issues. Just another option!

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair): Car [email]Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0NJPS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Front and back?

Sneedle Vision
04-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Front and back?

Just got the fronts. The rear speakers in XJs feel like they're there just to provide volume, not quality. So I just got a good set of fronts and pushed the fader slightly towards the front.

I'd rather buy other stuff then rear speakers anyway.

CaliXJKid
04-14-2014, 11:31 PM
thats a good point. A lot of my friends always say its to loud in the back

07Negative
04-15-2014, 04:16 AM
In audio. If you have descent speakers but good tonal control. You can make lesser expensive sound systems sound great. That's fact jack. If you're not an audio file. Spend less on the speakers & more on controls.