PDA

View Full Version : Here's to hoping...

HeartTheft
04-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I went mudding and after words my engine started overheating, I checked the radiator and made sure everything looked okay, checked it again today, the bigass fan on the radiator is working and spinning properly, I'm thinking maybe the front of the radiator is just mudded over and a powerwash will get it to normal. I had it running for about 10-15 minutes just now, in neutral, getting RPMs to about 2K, it didn't overheat and actually sat on running temp.

(Mind you I did was it a little beforehand.)

So, here's the details in a TL;DR

Mudding

Engine overheated on ride home

Stopped on side of road, did all of the owners manual tips,

Came,to normal temp.

Got home

Let cool for a bit

Washed radiator behind grill (lightly)

Started up

Revved engine on and off for 10-15 minutes

Normal temp, fan still working.

Next steps:

Remove grill,

Get as much mud off as,possible from rad.

Possibly use foaming dirt,remover

Powerwash entire vehicle to get all mud off.

Any other ideas?

2010 JK wrangler sport, by the way.

Rocco83
04-12-2014, 10:55 AM
I'd probably give it a good wash and trade it in for a TJ. Problem fixed :) I'm sure it is just mud caked in radiator.

4.3LXJ
04-12-2014, 11:03 AM
I have had mud in my radiator many times. Power wash or even a hose with your thumb over the end works. Be careful not to bend any of the fins over with the pressure. If you have an AC coil in front, check behind the coil for what you cannot see

HeartTheft
04-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Thank you, friend! I'm going to try to clean everything I possibly can reach. Rocco, I'll buy a TJ, but I'm not getting rod of my first wrangler!

It's my second Jeep and second vehicle, but first one I've really made memories in, I barely had the Grand Cherokee for a year before it had to go. :(

So in a way this is kind of my first vehicle.

4.3LXJ
04-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Wash from both sides if you can, but most importantly, from the back side and force it out the way it came in

Mudderoy
04-12-2014, 03:31 PM
I've noticed that once you get them hot they kind of run away with the heat. It's probably just mud in the radiator fins, but once you wash them out it might be good to let it cool down then top off the over flow bottle. Crank it up and keep the load light until it's back to normal operating temps.

This also could be a sign it's time to check your coolant system for weak components. If that radiator hasn't been changed in 5+ years it may be time.

I went mudding and after words my engine started overheating, I checked the radiator and made sure everything looked okay, checked it again today, the bigass fan on the radiator is working and spinning properly, I'm thinking maybe the front of the radiator is just mudded over and a powerwash will get it to normal. I had it running for about 10-15 minutes just now, in neutral, getting RPMs to about 2K, it didn't overheat and actually sat on running temp.

(Mind you I did was it a little beforehand.)

So, here's the details in a TL;DR

Mudding

Engine overheated on ride home

Stopped on side of road, did all of the owners manual tips,

Came,to normal temp.

Got home

Let cool for a bit

Washed radiator behind grill (lightly)

Started up

Revved engine on and off for 10-15 minutes

Normal temp, fan still working.

Next steps:

Remove grill,

Get as much mud off as,possible from rad.

Possibly use foaming dirt,remover

Powerwash entire vehicle to get all mud off.

Any other ideas?

2010 JK wrangler sport, by the way.

cantab27
04-12-2014, 05:19 PM
if shes covered in mud , best to pull it .......only way to clean em

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepaa004.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/jeepaa004.jpg.html)

i soak mine in something i can full full of water .....

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/2012-06-02001004.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/2012-06-02001004.jpg.html)

dont use a waterblaster as you will **** the fins ..

on the tj i have the rad set up so i can pull in about 10 minutes to be cleaned ....again i can soak in a river or clean between stages in a comp...

had the old xj boiling a couple of times why in the mud .....sweet as ..tuff old beast the inline 6.........;)

HeartTheft
04-12-2014, 05:42 PM
I know the Jeep had a very hot feel and smell when we first got it, but it was never too much of an issue, it always said it was at operating temp. I'm just concerned because I had the red light OF DEATH turn on...

Maybe I'm over reacting, I'm going to the power wash now to get the mud off of the paint, also to see if washing the rad. helped at all.

HeartTheft
04-12-2014, 05:59 PM
I know the Jeep had a very hot feel and smell when we first got it, but it was never too much of an issue, it always said it was at operating temp. I'm just concerned because I had the red light OF DEATH turn on...

Maybe I'm over reacting, I'm going to the power wash now to get the mud off of the paint, also to see if washing the rad. helped at all.

(by to see if it worked I mean to see,if it's not overheating on the drive, the powerwash is a wee drive.

HeartTheft
04-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Aaaaand it's still overheating, I'm going to get a new radiator.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
04-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Quick question... is your coolant low? Also check your oil for a cappuccino color... make sure you don't have a head gasket issue

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

HeartTheft
04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Oil: Full Synth. Proper colour. Coolant; just got it flushed. Still overheating. Next is taking a ShopVac to the grill and getting as much dirt as possible, off of it.

The fan still works, I'll probably get a spare motor just in case, but it's defiantly the mesh part behind the grill that's the issue, even after power washing it twice, no luck. :(

NW99XJ
04-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Posted this in chat... not sure if you saw it or not, so I'll re post it here as well.....

Sometimes when you get a flush done it will dislodge particles, and other stuff that accumulates in the system and these can get stuck in the passages that the coolant flows, or even clog the heater core.

With the engine cool, start it up with the rad cap off...wait and watch as it comes up to temp... looking down into the radiator, make sure you see coolant flowing, if not, you know u got a clog somewhere.

Eric, you may be due for a thermostat change too...it could be stuck closed....
Test the flow, then go from there... if you have the funds, you could throw a thermostat at it and see if that changes things. Much cheaper solution than a new radiator.

I've also heard that sometimes an air bubble will get trapped in the system and it will need to get burped..... not common, but still possible.
One other thing that is POSSIBLE, but unlikely, is that the temperature sending unit has gone bad and is giving you false readings. Double check the coolant temp manually with a candy thermometer, or laser temp reader. Kind of a shot in the dark, but I always recommend doing as much troubleshooting as possible, before you start throwing big chunks of money at it.
Hope that helps man. Good luck.

nickyg
04-15-2014, 03:34 PM
I can just picture the look on Mrs. Cantab27 face when she comes home and see this.

HeartTheft
04-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Haha, I'm wondering what my Roomate's facial expression will be. XD

Carves
04-15-2014, 06:27 PM
How is the JK air con set up ?

4.3 LXJ mentioned it earlier ... but you arent washing the front of the aircon "radiator" ... and the back of the coolant radiator - are you ??,

As that will leave a bunch of mud & crap between the two units.

HeartTheft
04-15-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm pulling out the part that Cantab posted a picture of right now, then I'm cleaning it and the area behind it.

cantab27
04-15-2014, 10:33 PM
good man ...post pics........

cantab27
04-15-2014, 10:57 PM
front skid plate can help with mud and heat issues

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/untitled_zps0ac56dc8.png (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/untitled_zps0ac56dc8.png.html)

HeartTheft
04-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Figured I'd post an update, got the coolant system all cleaned up, Jeep's running like a champ! I'll post pictures of the Jeep covered in mud soon!

4.3LXJ
04-17-2014, 03:59 PM
This is just one of those things. You wheel mud and sooner or later you will have to clean the radiator. Glad you got it done