PDA

View Full Version : Shifting into 4LO

Hopkins
04-11-2014, 12:10 PM
So the manual says to slow to 2-3 mph and while coasting shift transmission into neutral, then shift the transfer case into 4LO all while still coasting. This process seems completely impractical especially when the Jeep is on uneven terrain. That being said, what is the real world process of shifting into 4LO? What is a safe speed to shift at? Can you shift while stopped? What if your wheeling in 4HI and become stuck, is there no way to get into 4LO if your already stuck?

I'm trying to figure this out before I go wheeling so that I don't damage my transfer case. All my rigs before this have been electronic push button transfer cases, so I have no experience with the shift lever, and do's/do not's with shifting. Hope someone with some experience can chime in!

JeepFreak
04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, you have to be at 2-3 mph to shift into 4LO. My step mom was a transmission service advisor who worked over 30 techs for over 30 years. You can't do it while stopped. Besides that, 4LO is usually for towing and at speeds of 35 mph or LESS. If you're wheeling, you should be doing it constantly in 4HI since that allows you to go over 35 MPH AND be able to give short bursts of the gas if you're stuck. But we're Jeepers, we don't get stuck. We just...get comfortable where we are currently at :D

JeepFreak
04-11-2014, 12:17 PM
A side note though: the 'Neutral' they mean is the transfer case NOT the main shifter. You go from 2HI to N to 4LO.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2014, 01:20 PM
If you are in a jam, put the tranny in neutral, turn the engine off and allow it to roll a few feet forward or backwards, whatever you can manage and it will slip right in

Hopkins
04-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Is there any drawback to keeping the XJ in 4LO the whole time while wheeling? I'm thinking it makes more sense for me to stay in 4LO while wheeling since I am running 33s and stock 3.55 gears. I don't think I would have enough power in 4HI if I get bogged down in some deep mud. Let me know if my thinking is on the right track or if I have something mixed up.

4.3LXJ
04-11-2014, 08:07 PM
None whatsoever. I generally wheel in low range

cantab27
04-11-2014, 08:12 PM
i just leave mine in low range as well.........

JeepFreak
04-11-2014, 08:47 PM
I run in 4HI all the time. 4LO doesn't give me the speed I need and I'm stock just an fyi.

Andrew XJ
04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
I have never had a problem I usually stop to shift into 4 low unless I really don't care and then I just shift it no matter what speed I'm going I have never had a problem the only time it gives me trouble is when I try to shift it while I'm flexed. Heck I've shifted into 4lo at 10mph with no prob or grinding. I never worry about 4hi I can go into 4hi at any speed.

XJ Wheeler
04-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Shamefully mine doesn't go into 4lo much but typically i stop, put transmission in neutral, t-case in 4lo, and trans back in drive. No issues. But if you get binding or difficulty shifting the lever the rolling method helps.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

XJMikey
04-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Shamefully mine doesn't go into 4lo much but typically i stop, put transmission in neutral, t-case in 4lo, and trans back in drive. No issues. But if you get binding or difficulty shifting the lever the rolling method helps.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

That's how I do it. If it won't go right in, I let off the brakes a little (while in neutral), and it pops in.

bluedragon436
04-12-2014, 10:41 PM
That's how I do it. If it won't go right in, I let off the brakes a little (while in neutral), and it pops in.

This is how I always put mine in 4-LO when needed, and it worked quite we'll most time with not needing to let off the brakes at all, but every now and again it needed just a little bit of roll...