PDA

View Full Version : Door Locks

Melissa
10-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I have a new problem that I think is going to be way over my ability, but I want to give it a shot anyways, the worst that can happen is I'll break something :rotfl2:

I have power locks on my Jeep , but I am having issues with both locks on the drivers side not wanting to unlock very well. They do unlock, but I have to hold the button up for awhile before they do. With the weather getting colder, they are getting even worse to unlock, so I want to try and deal with it now, before I am forced to crawl in through the passenger side.

Now, where should I start??, what should I do??

Voldemort
10-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Well mine do not unlock at all, Which I have not been able to figure out yet??? But slow movement could be because of old wiring , bad ground , bad relay in the pass. side kick panel. Since you have a '93 you all ready have the relays so the old fix will not work for use.

4.3LXJ
10-11-2009, 06:25 AM
You might just have a lubrication issue, which is in your realm of expertise. You will have to take the door panel off. One way to figure it out is if you operate them manually and they are very stiff, then a little spray on lubricant hear and there will probably do the trick.

Voldemort
10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
also sometimes the switch go out??

BlueXJ
10-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Had my front oes begin to get a little hard to lock and unlock so when I had the door pasnel off I put some white lithium grease on yhe rods where they pass through the guides. Helped for about a year now.

Melissa
10-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I might just get lucky then, I'll try greasing them up since I just happen to have spray lube, and electrical grease.

I can open them manually, and they are stiff.
Off the tops of your heads, how hard is it to take the door pannels off?

Mudderoy
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
If you measure the voltage at the solenoid you may see a low voltage. The contact get corroded over time and the wire size isn't large enough to carry the required current to the solenoid. You'll hear them try to lock, or unlock, but they won't move the lock.

I have read about putting relays in place so you can get a good solid 12 volts to the solenoids. I'm sure greasing the mechanicals will help as well, but it doesn't solve the low voltage/current issue.

Mine have been acting up for about 5 years now. Since I installed the alarm system I really need to resolve the issue now.

Melissa
10-11-2009, 05:14 PM
If you measure the voltage at the solenoid you may see a low voltage. The contact get corroded over time and the wire size isn't large enough to carry the required current to the solenoid. You'll hear them try to lock, or unlock, but they won't move the lock.

I have read about putting relays in place so you can get a good solid 12 volts to the solenoids. I'm sure greasing the mechanicals will help as well, but it doesn't solve the low voltage/current issue.

Mine have been acting up for about 5 years now. Since I installed the alarm system I really need to resolve the issue now.

When I hit my unlock button, you can hear the passenger side locks pop right away, but not the drivers side, if I hold the button long enough, I can see the locks unlocking very slow and then they pop unlocked, just takes about a minute to unlock the drivers side instead of instantly like the passenger side.

I normally don't lock my doors at all, but I need to when I take the monthly trips to Portland and I would hate to be locked out over there :eek:

arkoza63
10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
hey mellisa. when i got my 00 the dirvers door lock was like yours, when i got into the door to fix my power windows, i lube up the latch assy. and now it work fine, i can now lock and unlock my drivers door maualy. which i could not do before.

lubrication is the answer.:thumbsup:

Primo
10-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Make sure to clean out all the old junky grease that the factory used with a good cleaner degreaser, then let it dry befor you go greasing it up again. Also mudderoy is right check the voltage the molex clip in the door can short and stop supplying the right amount of power to the lock solonoid, this can actually be a problem for your drivers side door speaker as well.

Here at work we use a lock lube/cleaner called Houdini it is made for locks and latches it will clean out the old lube and then dry to a nice slick non sticky lube, this prevents build up of dirt and junk and keeps it working smooth!!! check out this link
http://www.google.com/products?q=houdini%20lock%20lube&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

Melissa
10-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Make sure to clean out all the old junky grease that the factory used with a good cleaner degreaser, then let it dry befor you go greasing it up again. Also mudderoy is right check the voltage the molex clip in the door can short and stop supplying the right amount of power to the lock solonoid, this can actually be a problem for your drivers side door speaker as well.

Here at work we use a lock lube/cleaner called Houdini it is made for locks and latches it will clean out the old lube and then dry to a nice slick non sticky lube, this prevents build up of dirt and junk and keeps it working smooth!!! check out this link
http://www.google.com/products?q=houdini%20lock%20lube&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

Speakers?? I wouldn't know, I've blown all my speakers listening to my CD player too loud :shocker:

I am liking the Houdini lock lube :thumbsup:, I'll have to order some, thanks

Primo
10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Speakers?? I wouldn't know, I've blown all my speakers listening to my CD player too loud :shocker:

I am liking the Houdini lock lube :thumbsup:, I'll have to order some, thanks

No prob any time!!! I might be able to send you some for less than that link said, pm me your zip.:thumbsup:

Melissa
10-31-2009, 10:51 PM
No prob any time!!! I might be able to send you some for less than that link said, pm me your zip.:thumbsup:

Sorry Primo, I've gotten side tracked again, but I will PM you my zip:D

So the weather has warmed a bit an d I really need to get my door locks done but................................how in the world do I get my door pannels off???, I am having issues!!!:smiley-scared002:

BlueXJ
10-31-2009, 10:57 PM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/fcwintltd/Dynaweld%20Wed%20Site/sl60_manual_hi.jpg:eek:

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-scared002:

Melissa
10-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Well Blue, I was thinking a sledge hammer, but a torch would work too

:eek::rotfl2::smiley-laughing021:

BlueXJ
10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I hate taking doors apart, thus the reference to the plasma torch. Either the glass has to be up for what I need to fix or it needs to be down and I have it up. Another reason why I lube everything when I do work up the nerve to tear into a door repair. I know that I won't be doing any routine yearly maintainence unless something breaks since I hate it so much.

Logans91XJ
11-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Mel I am having the same problem with my Passenger Left Rear Door. I have yet to figure out what the deal is. The door popper is wanting to push it out but doesn't have enough juice to completely unlock it

4.3LXJ
11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
It just needs to be lubed. Then it will work.