PDA

View Full Version : Proper Jack Points?

Ulybrew
04-06-2014, 10:57 AM
So, I pose this question: Where is the proper life points and Jack stand location???

3 inch lift. But beat up stock bumpers.
Hi Lift is preferable on the strong front and rear. But I don't have that.

Unibody structure? I am an old Datsun Guy. Out 280Zs had the unibody structure. But the thin sheetmetal on the sides of the pan would crush. I made dozens of replacements for guys in the Z club. Basically a C Channel from 11 gauge plate.

Once jacked up, where is the proper location for the jack stands? Axle tubes okay? If so where?

I searched and didn't see anything that jumped out.

bluedragon436
04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Anytime I've had to jack up my Jeep I just made use of the pumpkin for the jack, then placed the jack stands on the tubes once it was up.. never had an issue doing that with my Jeep or any of the other Jeeps I worked on for co-workers... But also depends on the jack you are using... I used a floor jack like any shop would have, so I wouldn't recommend using the stock XJ jack for that..

XJ Wheeler
04-06-2014, 12:54 PM
A hi-lift won't adequately work anywhere on a stock xj but the wheels. They sell a hook that attaches to the lifting part of the hi-lift that fits inside the spokes.

But i typically use a floor jack on the axle housing for lifting. Depending on front or rear for placement, either one the closest to the center. Front i place the floor jack lifting plate on the passengers side axle tube as close to the pumpkin as possible. Rear just put it straight under the pumpkin.

For the jack stands i try to place them as far toward the outside as possible. In the rear if i remember correctly they go on the inside of the shock mounts. Make sure they clear the brake lines. Front i try to fit them in the control arm brackets but if you have different stands than me that don't fit go just on the inside of them.

Also i make it habit to place the tire i remove under the "frame rail" toward the end of the vehicle i am lifting. Just as a little bit of a back up, and ya gotta put it somewhere anyway.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
^^Yeah What he said... just in far more detail then I put into mine... ^^