PDA

View Full Version : dana 44 swap????????

Primo
10-10-2009, 06:33 PM
So what with my winning the sportsman and all, I am going to finally have the funds to do my rear axle swap.
I will be swapin out my 35 for a dana 44!!!! not an 8.25 and not a 8.8, A DANA 44. I have done my share of research and am solid in this choice!

But I would like some of your help deciding on where to get it?
I know I can find one in an old XJ, I have heard that an isuzu rodeo 44 might fit and I also know that there are plenty of outside the box options.

My questions are:
1. Will a tj 44 be the same length as the xj's so that all I have to do is strip the axle and add perches?
2. any body know if the rodeo 44 is the right length?
3. should I junkyard one or should I buy a bran new one?

I am sick of my pos 35 always wanting to be a stupid broken piece of SH!+!!!
so please help!!!
Spanky I know you know a lot about this and I have tried to read all the axle swap threds on the forum I have seen some other good info coming from others as well!
thanks guys, and girls!!!!!!!!!!:popcorn:

4.3LXJ
10-10-2009, 07:22 PM
You don't want the TJ D44. It has an aluminum center section and has been known to spin tubes. If you know where you can find an XJ D44, then do it. It will be perfect bolt in.

Primo
10-10-2009, 07:51 PM
You don't want the TJ D44. It has an aluminum center section and has been known to spin tubes. If you know where you can find an XJ D44, then do it. It will be perfect bolt in.

Good to know! Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!
I will be looking for a XJ 44 very hard, but I also have thought of ordering one bran new from 4wheel parts. What is your oppinion on that?

4.3LXJ
10-10-2009, 07:58 PM
If you have the bucks go for it. With them you could specify gear ratio and lockers too. Another source that is identical, but might give you more options is 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers. http://www.4wheelparts.com/ They are owned by the same company, but these guys have a shop and can set up anything you want.

DETOURS
10-10-2009, 09:20 PM
The "TJ" 44, aint ALUMINUM.........
That would be the "ZJ"........44, lets get that straight right here.....

Personally.......I like the Ford 8.8 with it's disc brakes, it's a freakin shoe in with not alot of effort and the strength of a 44, my second choice would be an "XJ" 44 which is a direct bolt in if gears mesh, 3rd...the 8.25 which is only one step below the 44 yet 500% better than the 35...........again matching gears are key...........I found an 8.25 & a HP30 with 4:10s for less than 3 bills, it's a steal!!!!

2000XJ
10-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Spanky's right, the ZJ D44 is the one with the aluminum center section.

I have an XJ D44 in my XJ, and then swapped the drums out for Ford 8.8 discs. It's a great setup, I love it. The disc brake swap is a breeze, and the actual axle swap is a no-brainer as well.

I definitely recommend it.

If you're thinking outside the box, then you can always go to waggy axles, but that will require more cutting/grinding/fabbing to make them work. And then your bolt patterns will be different unless you swap the front D30 out for a Waggy axle as well.

If you're going with a TJ D44, then you will also have to do some modifications to make it accept leaf springs.

UKJeepThang
10-13-2009, 02:53 AM
I've got to do this soon as I've had an XJ D44 sitting in my workshop for best part of a year waiting for the time for me to fit it. Any tips would be good before I start.

I'd like more info/tips on the Ford 8.8 disc swap as it makes sense to do it at the same time.

COSXJFAN
10-13-2009, 08:59 AM
OK, so I feel like a complete idiot, because I had never even considered a 8.8 disc brake swap on my D44!! DOH!!! I would also like any info on this if any of you guys have it!! I seriously can't believe this has never crossed my mind!! I think I'm going to go run with scissors now!!:sad0147:

Mudderoy
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
OK, so I feel like a complete idiot, because I had never even considered a 8.8 disc brake swap on my D44!! DOH!!! I would also like any info on this if any of you guys have it!! I seriously can't believe this has never crossed my mind!! I think I'm going to go run with scissors now!!:sad0147:

Don't leave anything to chance, put a stick in your mouth as well! :thumbsup: :smiley-laughing021:

And btw, I didn't know about it either, so I'm glad someone mentioned it. :thanx:

alwaysxj
10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
get on rme or naxja and look for a guy called mattvw65 he is from layton he has one for like $400 bucks. if you can't find him pm i have his number.

COSXJFAN
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't leave anything to chance, put a stick in your mouth as well! :thumbsup: :smiley-laughing021:

Good point, pardon the pun!!:stars:

COSXJFAN
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm going this route, I think. The more I think about it, the better I like the idea!! Anyone ever thought of running an "in cab" adjustable proportioning valve. I'm talking about the ones that the dirt track racer guys use, so you can fine tune your braking for varying conditions.

Mudderoy
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm going this route, I think. The more I think about it, the better I like the idea!! Anyone ever thought of running an "in cab" adjustable proportioning valve. I'm talking about the ones that the dirt track racer guys use, so you can fine tune your braking for varying conditions.

What might be better is an adjustable emergency brake. ebrake left, right, or both.

COSXJFAN
10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I meant adjustable front to rear...

Mudderoy
10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I meant adjustable front to rear...

Oh I understand. Why would you need to adjust that from the cab, and why so often?

COSXJFAN
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Not really often, but there are times when it would be a nice feature to have at your finger tips!! Mud, sand, rocks, snow, see where I'm going...

COSXJFAN
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I also have an auto locker, so side to side adjustment would do nothing for me.

4.3LXJ
10-14-2009, 10:44 AM

That is the way to set them up. That way you can tune it in just a few moments while you drive, and for varying conditions. It would be a good deal for these guys that insist on running front lockers on ice and having to leave it in 2WD, or if you were towing a heavy load.

4.3LXJ
10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
What might be better is an adjustable emergency brake. ebrake left, right, or both.

Folks with sand rails have been doing that for a long time. You can buy turning brake kits for that purpose.

Mudderoy
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok I'm a noob, so tell me why adjusting the ratio of braking between front and rear brakes does anything for you depending on the terrain? I've thought about it and I don't get it. :stars:

4.3LXJ
10-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Ok I'm a noob, so tell me why adjusting the ratio of braking between front and rear brakes does anything for you depending on the terrain? I've thought about it and I don't get it. :stars:

When you get your brand spanking new XJ, the braking is designed to give you approximately 70% front brakes and 30% rear. You can actually disconnect the rear and still stop decently. So when people start doing brake upgrades they put on disc brakes or maybe some improved drum brakes in the rear and notice that stopping distance is reduced significantly. The problem is that if you are on a slick surface like ice, those improved brakes can lock up. The more weight you have in the rear, the more you can increase the braking power safely to the point that if you are weighted like a semi truck, you only need rear brakes. Now, if you are 4WD, you can go to 50/50 braking because the transfer case is locked. If you are towing and have significant tongue weight, you can increase the rear brakes and take some of the brake load off the front and not get so much front end dive in a hard brake. If you are trying to leap tall sand dunes in a single bound and can't make it and have to back down hill, turn off the rear brakes completely and use the front end a an anchor and you will be able to back down with ease and much more safely.

Mudderoy
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
When you get your brand spanking new XJ, the braking is designed to give you approximately 70% front brakes and 30% rear. You can actually disconnect the rear and still stop decently. So when people start doing brake upgrades they put on disc brakes or maybe some improved drum brakes in the rear and notice that stopping distance is reduced significantly. The problem is that if you are on a slick surface like ice, those improved brakes can lock up. The more weight you have in the rear, the more you can increase the braking power safely to the point that if you are weighted like a semi truck, you only need rear brakes. Now, if you are 4WD, you can go to 50/50 braking because the transfer case is locked. If you are towing and have significant tongue weight, you can increase the rear brakes and take some of the brake load off the front and not get so much front end dive in a hard brake. If you are trying to leap tall sand dunes in a single bound and can't make it and have to back down hill, turn off the rear brakes completely and use the front end a an anchor and you will be able to back down with ease and much more safely.

Very interesting, thanks!

2000XJ
10-15-2009, 09:18 PM
As for an 8.8 Disc Brake swap you guys can check my build thread out on cherokeetalk.com (http://www.cherokeetalk.com/). I'm going to start to try to move it over here too.

The 8.8 and D44 swap is pretty easy. I'm trying to remember the details, I'm going to have to refer to my XJ Notebook if I can't recall them all and then add to this post.

As for the 8.8 disc swap, you'll have to make a couple of spacers. First, you'll need to make a set of spacers that will go on the end of the axle tube. These spacers are necessary for ensuring that the backing plate sits in the correct place. You can fab these yourself, but having a drill press to do this will definitely make the process easier.

The other set of spacers you'll need will actually become part of the axle shaft setup. These are preload spacers, and it will slide over and down the shaft. Then the seal goes on, then the bearing, and bearing cap. This one is pretty hard to make because it has to fit inside of the axle tube itself and have the right dimensions.

Honestly, your best bet is to have a shop make these for you... a shop that is familiar with the D44 to 8.8 swap. I had EMS Offroad in Pennsylvania make the spacers and set me up with all the parts when I did this swap. Eric at EMS is a great guy, and I highly recommend him. I know that you can buy a set of the preload spacers from Teraflex too.

Also, The backing plate in needs to be widened out a bit too. What I am referring to is the center hole where the shaft goes through when the backing plate is on the axle tube. This can be done with a die grinder or similar tool. Again, since I was getting all the parts from EMS I had them do this for me too.

Essentially the whole package was plug and play.

Was there an increase in stopping performance? Yes.

Would I do it again? Maybe.

Can you use ABS if your vehicle was so equipped? No.

Can you maintain the E-Brake? Yes, however, you need to figure out how to do it. I was told that you need a ZJ cable and Explorer with disc brake cable to make it work. I have not yet remedied this, so at the moment, my XJ has no functional e-brake. It's on the winter to-do list.

alwaysxj
10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
i had a 8.8 with disc brakes and a arb in my xj and i loved it never had any problems with it i would consider putting on it over a dana 44. but that is just me.