PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk YJ? possible build

HeartTheft
04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking about buying a YJ and modifying it to be Steampunk, Cog/gear shaped, bronze coloured rims, organ pipes for a snorkel, incense burners on the bumper (to look like steam, won't drive with one burning) and the entire think is going to be bronze metallic.

So, what do,you all think?

Also, any tips on fabricating rims?

NW99XJ
04-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I would VERY MUCH like to see this project come to fruition.
I'm not much of an artist, nor am I a professional fabricator.
But I dabble in both quite a bit.
That being said... I think this is an awesome idea, but certain things should be bought instead of manufactured, then modified or altered to create the desired effect/look... like the wheel s for instance. If this thing were to ever get driven, you want to make sure a wheel failure is not an option.

HeartTheft
04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
True, true, I'm on a budget with this, so I'm trying to save as much money as possible, but I will shop around quite a bit.

4.3LXJ
04-04-2014, 11:03 AM
The only way to make a wheel successfully is with a lathe so you get everything perfectly centered and round. And any welds had better be good or they will fail due to flexing of any metal

NW99XJ
04-04-2014, 11:06 AM
True, true, I'm on a budget with this, so I'm trying to save as much money as possible, but I will shop around quite a bit.
Some old steelies are easy to find and are prob a dime a dozen in the junk yards....

HeartTheft
04-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Hey, thanks! Man!

Rocco83
04-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Not sure where you're located, on Tapatalk, but there is a pretty solid body one for sale by me for $700. If you didn't have one to start with it could be a solid starting point. Although you could be a real badass and build a steam engine for it.

HeartTheft
04-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Not sure where you're located, on Tapatalk, but there is a pretty solid body one for sale by me for $700. If you didn't have one to start with it could be a solid starting point. Although you could be a real badass and build a steam engine for it.

I'm in Utah, you should point me to that body if it's nearby, I'd be cool with a wee bit of a drive for it.

Rocco83
04-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Indiana might be a bit of a drive.

rabies
04-04-2014, 11:27 PM
do it

NW99XJ
04-11-2014, 11:20 AM
So are we going to get to see any artist renderings?
Maybe some conceptual drawings?

HeartTheft
04-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I have a few rough sketches, I'm considering making a few more, adding colour, the, possibly using a 3D animation software that I have to make it, and taking a screenshot from multiple angles.

Gotta put my schooling for Graphic Design, computer repair, and programming to SOME use. XD

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

alanmartinez45
04-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Hello, this is my fisrt post, i'm from venezuela i currently don't own a xj... Because i bought a YJ to be made as a steampunk zombie apocalypse vehicle i already started the build as of now it is waiting on a 305 sbc to be put in it with a th400, wago axles, lots of lights, lots of switches, same idea on the snorkel, mine will be dark redish copper with an aged look to it and full of anti zombie weapons, guns, tools, can't buy a winch yet but it's comming :D keep me posted if you go thru with your build! I would love to be in touch with someone with an idea similar to mine!

NW99XJ
04-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Hello, this is my fisrt post, i'm from venezuela i currently don't own a xj... Because i bought a YJ to be made as a steampunk zombie apocalypse vehicle i already started the build as of now it is waiting on a 305 sbc to be put in it with a th400, wago axles, lots of lights, lots of switches, same idea on the snorkel, mine will be dark redish copper with an aged look to it and full of anti zombie weapons, guns, tools, can't buy a winch yet but it's comming :D keep me posted if you go thru with your build! I would love to be in touch with someone with an idea similar to mine!
Oh you have GOT TO share some pics of this!!!!

alanmartinez45
04-17-2014, 08:01 PM
i will post pics when i have the chance... but right now i cut into my right foot with an axe :oops: ... not too bad just 5 stitches but still it's gonna be a few days resting :mad:

Rocco83
04-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Jesus lol. Get better man.

rabies
04-18-2014, 09:08 AM
that had to hurt.
we should start a steampunk vehicle thread. theres some weeeeird stuff out there