PDA

View Full Version : Welders

Rocco83
03-28-2014, 09:35 PM
I've got some patching to do on a few spots on my frame. I was thinking of picking up a cheap welder to do the work myself and just to get better at welding. I haven't done a lot of welding in the past and do not have much experience. Would a flux core wire welder do the trick for working on my frame? I don't anticipate doing a lot of welding and fab work and could purchase one cheap from harbor freight, but I don't want to pick one up if it won't work. I like the fcww ones mainly because I don't have to get shielding gas and whatnot.

So anyone know if it would do ok for frame work?

lthamm
03-28-2014, 09:55 PM
If I was you I would go around some pawn shops and get a pro meg 140 from Lincoln you can pick one up for around 250 I love mine

4.3LXJ
03-28-2014, 10:36 PM
There is always a temptation to get a cheap welder and go to it. Flux core can be harder to weld than with gas. But it is doable. But I would do some practicing first. It is harder to weld vertical with flux than with gas if you know how to do it

Rocco83
03-29-2014, 09:14 AM
I haven't welded with flux core yet. I've gotten into welding a lot of stainless at work lately. Mostly stainless wire onto 1/4" stainless cold roll and some hot roll.

The welder there though is a big expensive boy that I can not afford. I do have access to it though, but would prefer something at home I could work with from time to time and not break the budget.

Trying to balance jeep budget and going back to school.

4.3LXJ
03-29-2014, 10:25 AM
If you can weld stainless successfully, then you could probably make it work. However you will be much happier with the gas. One thing that you can do with gas that is very inconvenient with flux is stitch weld, which is kind of necessary on the thin stuff, especially vertical

bluedragon436
04-07-2014, 08:27 AM
I was actually going to look at getting a cheap welder as well to get started on learning how to weld... Will def have to keep an eye out @ pawn shops and CL to find a decent deal on something that will hopefully work and not be a waste of money.. Not for sure if I want to attempt to weld in frame reinforcements as my first project... don't need to be messing up the already "flimsy" uniframe... I know it was mentioned to pick up a Lincoln 140.. but what does anyone think about the Hobart 140 for a beginner welder??

4.3LXJ
04-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Every bit as good as a lincoln James

Ulybrew
04-07-2014, 12:11 PM
I am in the market for a welder as well. Lots of then on market here. I am leaning towards a Miller bobcat or similar. Mig, tig and plasma cutting. Also is a back up Gen set if needed

I am an engineer but but have always welded a bit here and there. Got certified in over had years ago. Everyones advice about gas is correct in my opinion. I hate flux core. Plus I am in the salt belt. So clean is also important after the process is red and gooey

bluedragon436
04-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Well, unfortunately the deal on the Hobart 140 I was going to go with, decided to back out and not sell it at the last minute.. oh well... just more money to spend on other Jeep parts.. But I will keep an eye out on another deal.. I will learn myself some welding one way or another...