PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate....

OGCollard
03-28-2014, 12:54 PM
So I watched the video XJTalk put out about fixing tailgates that do not open, and I have mentioned how I have to replace the lock cylinder on my tailgate as someone tried drilling it out to steal said jeep. My question is this....The tailgate handle assembly on the whole moves up and down about a quarter inch on the door. I am wondering if when I replace the lock cylinder if that in some way will tighten the handle assembly up so it does not move on the tailgate. Any ideas?

benja455
03-28-2014, 01:27 PM
You need to make sure it's tucked in properly and you need to tighten down that nut as much as possible....which is the most likely problem.

OGCollard
03-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks! Will keep an eye out for that nut when I go to put in new cylinder in week or two. Just curious for where to look. Is this a nut that is behind the lock cylinder? Will it kind of stick out when I am looking when I take the back panel off? Not trying to be a pain, just kind of flying blind on it until I get into it.

benja455
03-28-2014, 01:37 PM
The lock cylinder is held in to the handle by a clip - which is a pain in the ass to get out. The entire handle is slid into place on the lock (right) side and then it bolts into place via a retaining nut on the non lock side (left), if you're looking at the tailgate from the outside.

I replaced mine with a handle from eBay. Aftermarket part which was actually a little bitter than OEM. Also cheaper: $15 vs $80

OGCollard
03-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Appreciate it. I dont think I will need to replace the handle, it is just loose. But the cylinder is fried. I believe it to be just a standard cylinder like the regular doors take. Thanks for the info!!

OGCollard
03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Researched....found out it is a different lock. No worries. :bacondance: