PDA

View Full Version : Bought lifted jeep with driveline vib

freshxj
03-25-2014, 08:49 AM
:bang:I am new to the jeep world just bought a 2000 jeep Cherokee sport and it has a small lift and 31" mts. Between 50-60mph I get a vibration ive read a ton about checking the DL angles my question is do I need to pull the drive shaft to get accurate reading or wear to I place the angle finder to get the right measurements. I dont not have a SYE

4.3LXJ
03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the forum William. It is common for a lifted XJ to have some driveline vibrations. Here is a link on how to set the pinion angle to correct that. Also you while you have the driveline disconnected, you might grease the splines on the transfer case output shaft. Also instead of an angle finder, I now use a smart phone with a free leveler app

cantab27
03-25-2014, 11:20 AM
front drive shaft ..???? ...wheres vibration coming from front middle rear

freshxj
03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Im not seeing a link to click on but if you are saying while I have it out grease it up im gonna take that as a yes....and i feel like its mainly from towards the rear

4.3LXJ
03-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Sorry. My fingers got confused

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7299

freshxj
03-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks man I plan on doing this in the next day or so...like I said im new to the jeep life so im just going through fixing all the little issues I find with it and this site has helped a lot so far

4.3LXJ
03-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Glad to help

Firemanray
03-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Remove the front shaft and see if it goes away. My Xj is lifted over 6.5" with a 1" transfer case drop. I only have vibes with front shaft in, when I take it out, it runs perfectly. I believe it's the pinion bearings loose as the yoke has significant movement in it.

If it turns out the front shaft is causing the vibes there are several things to look at.

- The shaft itself, are all the u-joints in good shape? Smooth operation, no stiffness.
Is the slip yoke tight? No side to side movement in the splines.

- Is the yoke on the transfer case loose? Look for up or down, side to side movement.
Tighten as needed.

- Is the yoke on the pinion loose? Try to tighten but if bearings are worn you won't
accomplish anything with this.

- Are the axle end u-joints good? No slack, smooth operating, no stiffness.

If the front drive shaft removal doesn't effect the vibes, ignore everything I just typed.:D (Doesn't hurt to check these things anyway.)