PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully Josh has checked his facts for #121?

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 08:17 AM
#120 "Here we are, 52 years after Jeep released the first Renegade, and 42 years after the last one rolled off the assembly line"

My math may be off, but that would make it '62 to '72. Huh? At least you got it (kinda) right in #119, when you said 1970 to 1986.

But in #119 you also said the Renegade line spanned across two platforms. I'm assuming you meant the CJ5 and CJ7. But forgot about the YJ and KJ Renegades?

And the "they don't count" argument, doesn't count. They were both terrible, but that doesn't change history (though you seem to be trying to), they carried the Renegade badge.

Also, #119 and #120. "The genius designers over in Italy" and "Italian Jeep Designers".

Nope, the teacup Renegade was designed right there in the good ol USA. Auburn Hills, by "Jeremy Glover and Ian Hedge, 2010 and 2011 graduates of Detroit's College for Creative Studies"

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/auto-blog/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-2015-jeep-renegade-16589338?click=pm_latest

Flaming? Maybe. Trying to stop you passing on incorrect 'facts' via the podcast? Hell yes.

4.3LXJ
03-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I think what Josh was referring to was the Italian influence on the Jeep line since it is based on Italian and is a radical departure from traditional Jeep purpose built vehicles. At the very least, the purpose has certainly changed and what is being called by these iconic names is not in the least reflective of the roots they came from

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Maybe he'll explain it on tonights show.

NW99XJ
03-20-2014, 11:31 AM
I think what Josh was referring to was the Italian influence on the Jeep line since it is based on Italian and is a radical departure from traditional Jeep purpose built vehicles. At the very least, the purpose has certainly changed and what is being called by these iconic names is not in the least reflective of the roots they came from

Not only that, but it's more than likely since the overall purpose of the New Renegade is to cater to a more "global" market, it's production is being reported (as of now) to be done exclusively in the Fiat plants across seas IN Italy.
Also since the renegade is based and built upon the Fiat 500 chassis, which was NOT american designed, I'll stand behind my statement. Having design influences of "extreme sports" and "WWII Jerry Cans" or not, it still has much of the Italian design influences that we see in the rest of the Fiat line.
Not to mention, the renegade packages of yester-year were bigger engines, more power, and more traction.... and to develop a new jeep vehicle as a whole without giving too much consideration to this, in my mind is a slap in the face.

I dont count the Renegade in the TJ and KJ platforms, because it's heritage and the mental image that is conjured by most people when referring to the name badge is the two platforms mentioned the CJ5 & CJ7.
The "official" span of the renegade was from 1970-83, but I could have sworn in my research I read that the "renegade" name badge first appeared back in the Kaiser days (in whatever form).... now for the life of me I cant find where I read that.
In my defense, I have been sick for weeks, and my research and thought processes may have/could have/ and most likely were off or clouded a little bit (more than usual.) :crazy:

So my math was a little off.... so what? I frequently invoke a little self deprecation and claim I'm horrible at math... and will complain on the show and say things like "I was told there would be no math!"
..... it's all for fun, and ANYTHING said or implied on the podcast should be taken as entertainment and/or informational purposes only, and not as a source of "indisputable facts."

My information was obviously a little off, and I apologize.
....To make you happy I will announce a formal retraction of my previous "claims" of model year production spans, and apologize to both you and the two yahoos who designed the teacup Renegade.

I'm not out to make any enemies, and myself or Tony are BOUND to say something on the podcast that people will disagree with, or get offended by, or rub them the wrong way. After all I do share a great deal of my opinions on the show and editorialize alot of the time (especially in the This Week In Jeep segment.)
"you cant please all the people all of the time"

In conclusion, I'd like to thank UKJeeper for listening to the show and for keeping me on my toes.
Keep up the good work!

4.3LXJ
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Josh, being an official old fart that started driving Jeeps in 1965, I cannot recall the Renegade emblem officially that appeared in 1970. HOWEVER, in your defense I do think I heard the name bantered about, but that is too far back to recall. I am thinking that at that time, in 65 there was a guy in town with a lifted CJ5 with a V6 and 11X15 tires that had a renegade. But like I said, too far back to recall. His Jeep was definitely dwarfing my stock MB.

xj4life2
03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge and my Jeep encyclopedia the Renegade was not introduced until 1970 as the Renegade I and in 1971 as the Renegade II. Although there were always "nick " names for Jeeps the actual Renegade did not hit the streets until 1970. Then again from 1972 to 1983 as the Renegade. Before that the only models not conventually named were the Tuxedo park editions from 1961 to 1963.

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 12:31 PM
See, now why ya gotta be all nice about it!? Takes all the fun out of trolling!

Bah! (puts hands in pockets, kicks the dirt...)

nickyg
03-20-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm sure Josh got his information from the internet. And they can't put it on the internet if isn't true. I also read that Big Foot is living in Martha Stewarts back yard.

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Still waiting for Rick Pewe to provide proof that there is an SJ renegade. He seems to be convinced there was. Me, not so much.

abebehrmann
03-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I've never seen an SJ Renegade. I think he might be confusing the Renegade and Golden Eagle. I've definitely seen a few SJ Golden Eagles.

abebehrmann
03-20-2014, 04:16 PM
PS, don't google SJ Renegade at work....

nickyg
03-20-2014, 05:05 PM
PS, don't google SJ Renegade at work....

Now I really want to Google it

bigjim350
03-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Now I really want to Google it

Don't do it...

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 05:47 PM
It did cause the guys at IFSJA to LOL...

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm sure Josh got his information from the internet. And they can't put it on the internet if isn't true. I also read that Big Foot is living in Martha Stewarts back yard.

It's not bigfoot, it's an IRS agent in disguise...

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 05:49 PM
To the best of my knowledge and my Jeep encyclopedia the Renegade was not introduced until 1970 as the Renegade I and in 1971 as the Renegade II. Although there were always "nick " names for Jeeps the actual Renegade did not hit the streets until 1970. Then again from 1972 to 1983 as the Renegade.

That's what i found when i researched it.

Brasscatz
03-20-2014, 05:59 PM
It's not bigfoot, it's an IRS agent in disguise...

I think bigfoot IS blurry, it's not the camera's fault. And to me it's scarier having a giant, out of focus ape roaming the countryside. Run! He's fuzzy, get out of here!

4.3LXJ
03-20-2014, 06:23 PM
I think bigfoot IS blurry, it's not the camera's fault. And to me it's scarier having a giant, out of focus ape roaming the countryside. Run! He's fuzzy, get out of here!

Actually that was someones throw back relative. :D:smiley-taunt002:

UKJeeper
03-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Eddie Murphy Delirious Bigfoot Goonie Goo Goo 2 minutes - YouTube

Edit: don't listen if your kids are around (or you're at work...)