PDA

View Full Version : 88 Cherokee tranny???

aceofphoenix
10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Hello to everyone. Name here is Mark. I am new to the Jeep thing and have an 1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4. When I did the road test it runs fine but has some trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd. When in second gear it doesn't want to shift, I tried letting off the gas and putting it in neutral then back to drive and it still wont shift even if I just let off the gas the RPMs drop to idle and when I give it gas it goes back to the top end of second gear. Any ideas as of what I could try???

I also picked up a 1992 Cherokee Laredo 2wd that is just for parts. The 92 has been sitting for 2+ years. I was told that the jeep ran fine before it was park, but now wont start. Are the transmission swappable? I am stuck in a rut and need some help please!!

Mudderoy
10-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm hoping that someone has some better information for you but I suspect the transmission is toast. Good news is there were over 2 million (almost 3) XJ made so finding a replacement transmission should be simple and fairly cheap. You'll need a 4x4 transmission, someone correct me here, as the back end of the transmission is different on the 4x4 so it can mate up to the transfer case.

A very common problem for no start on the XJ's is the CPS, however after sitting a couple of years there could be other issues. You need to go down the standard list of things you would check anytime a engine won't start.

BlueXJ
10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
You might just have a stuck servo. They are easy to replace. And if your 88 is 4WD and the 92 is 2WD then they won't trade out. But the 92 servo will fit the 88. The servo is like a small electric solenoid in the body of the tranny which is accesible from the bottom without pulling the tranny out of the Jeep.

Another thing to check is the TCU. It is the brain for the 88 AW4. If it is unplugged then all shifting must be done manually. I think it is in the passenger side kick panel on an 88.

cheap jeep
10-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I don"t know about an 88, but my 92 XJ wouldn't upshift so I installed a new TPS and now it works fine. The PO said the trans worked fine when it was parked 2 yrs earlier.

Mudderoy
10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I don"t know about an 88, but my 92 XJ wouldn't upshift so I installed a new TPS and now it works fine. The PO said the trans worked fine when it was parked 2 yrs earlier.

I didn't even think about that, glad you jumped in!

aceofphoenix
10-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Ok well I got a new TPS and put it on in the rain...couldn't wait to test it out....it works. Thank you so much....but now I plan on doing a tranny filter and fluid change. Is there any certain type of ATF that you guys would recommend? The PO said it was a daily driver and work fine, but now I don't believe anything he said. I have never done this project at home, but there is a first time for everything. The odometer is reading 215k+ I don't know when it was last changed or anything. I was thinking about Lucas when I do the fluids??

BlueXJ
10-10-2009, 01:13 PM
DEXTRON III or IV but not ATF+4.