PDA

View Full Version : Drill bits?

07Negative
03-17-2014, 11:48 PM
So it's 9:45pm and I'm build veggie beds for my green beans. I use a corded Dewalt drill and their bits. But the bits blow! So do the screw bit & the such. Does anyone recommend something way better?
Maybe I'll cryro treat the next set :)

bluedragon436
03-18-2014, 12:12 AM
I'm assuming you are building them out of timbers??

4.3LXJ
03-18-2014, 01:52 AM
What kind of bits? wood? metal?

07Negative
03-18-2014, 03:29 AM
I'm assuming you are building them out of timbers??

Young redwood lumber. Predrilling holes. Then using exterior screws/decking screws. The screw actually come with a Philips bit. But I think it stuck to a screw head. I didn't realize it. I repositioned the veggie bed. The Philips bit fell somewhere.
I just had 12 cubic yards of tree mulch dropped off today. So I'm sure it's in the stack.
My biggest gripe is about the Philips/flat head bit kits. They spin within the head of the screw. Even though I'm using the correct size bit. So it gives off these burs of metal. Ultimately f*ing up the screw head & the Philips bit.

I'm using 11/16 fence boards. Non dog eared. Using 2x3 in the corners to join them together. It's really moist lumber. It drives in easily. But the bit heads or whatever the correct terminology is.
The drill is wicked torquey. But I'm not gunning it, full throttle. I'm applying pressure with the equal amount of force and RPM of the drill. But it frickin slips & that's when the screw head stops out & I get the burs on the bit head.

I'm just assuming the bits are doodoo.

07Negative
03-18-2014, 03:32 AM
What kind of bits? wood? metal?

This is for wood applications. I have no bits for metal.

bluedragon436
03-18-2014, 03:58 AM
So are you looking for drill bits to drill out the "stripped" screws?? Or just looking for better apex (screw driver) bits?? I'd almost say look at the square drive sheetrock screws if you are looking for a better apex bit option...

slvmart
03-18-2014, 05:02 AM
Use the Phillips-Square combo bits.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/52dCCerkvPL.jpg

The one on the extreme left.

IMO, these seem to have the most positive engagement. But I would put a little diluted dish washing liquid or use a old piece of soap and scratch some of the soap on each screw.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Young redwood lumber. Predrilling holes. Then using exterior screws/decking screws. The screw actually come with a Philips bit. But I think it stuck to a screw head. I didn't realize it. I repositioned the veggie bed. The Philips bit fell somewhere.
I just had 12 cubic yards of tree mulch dropped off today. So I'm sure it's in the stack.
My biggest gripe is about the Philips/flat head bit kits. They spin within the head of the screw. Even though I'm using the correct size bit. So it gives off these burs of metal. Ultimately f*ing up the screw head & the Philips bit.

I'm using 11/16 fence boards. Non dog eared. Using 2x3 in the corners to join them together. It's really moist lumber. It drives in easily. But the bit heads or whatever the correct terminology is.
The drill is wicked torquey. But I'm not gunning it, full throttle. I'm applying pressure with the equal amount of force and RPM of the drill. But it frickin slips & that's when the screw head stops out & I get the burs on the bit head.

I'm just assuming the bits are doodoo.

I use wood screws that have a torx head and bit with them. I know we all hate torx, but it works much better than phillips head.

gary63
03-18-2014, 10:33 AM
tork head or square works the best if you are looking for a Phillips bit look for the ones with lines/nutches on the flats they grip the best for Phillips but watch out for pozadrive it looks like a Phillips but has a nother cross inside that people get and they will pop out and strip the head.

XJ Wheeler
03-18-2014, 06:31 PM
I tell ya, i was given a Philips bit a few years ago and that was one nice bit. I used it for years on 3/4" plywood mainly and it engaged very well. I would used that one whenever possible, until i was putting in some 3/4" plywood down on 2x4 floor structure and the end snapped off when driving a 4" deck screw. Sad day... I really wish i knew what kind and i could get more but it doesn't look like others so if you see it you may be able to identify it in your search.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

gary63
03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
it looks like the ones we get from a machin shop supply house they are alot better than HF or HD. I will try to find out the make.

XJ Wheeler
03-18-2014, 08:12 PM
it looks like the ones we get from a machin shop supply house they are alot better than HF or HD. I will try to find out the make.

That would be great man. Appreciate it!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

07Negative
03-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'll use torx head bits from now on. Seems most logical. I don't expect these bits to be made of 300M. But maybe some company should consider it. I'd pay for it.

bad luck
03-19-2014, 08:41 AM
I get square drive screws from McFeelys, it's easy to find them on the web. I am sure they would have anything you could want for screws and bits. The square drive screws do not slip if used with the correct bit.

07Negative
03-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I did end up using a square drive bit on the philips head screws. It was all I had left to work with.

bluedragon436
03-19-2014, 03:11 PM
I love the square drive screws... Use them for my sub installs, and many other uses, one cause they don't really strip, and two cause hardly no one carries them, so if they try to steal your stuff, they can't without tearing the item up in the first place, thus making them useless to the people stealing them..

editedforsafety
03-22-2014, 10:19 AM
If you have to use phillips, impact rated bits seem to hold up better.

Also, if you use an cordless impact driver for driving screws, you will never go back to a regular driver. I have a Milwaukee combo. I use the drill/driver for drilling and the impact driver for sinking the screws. You just have to be careful not to bury them in the wood.