PDA

View Full Version : How to Replace a Worn Fan Clutch (1994 Cherokee)

JeepFreak
03-17-2014, 03:54 AM
Forgive me for I didn't have time to take the pics in order (actually I took them after I finished lol so just imagine quite what I was doing). I've never done this before on my own but I found it to be the EASIEST piece of mechanical machinery in my XJ to replace since I bought it. It only took about 15 minutes from removal to installation.

Now I had been having overheating issues prior to this being done so I decided to do some diagnostic work and it turns out my fan clutch had been stuck in its 'cooldown' state even when the vehicle was at operating temperature. My Cherokee has a thermal fan clutch meaning when the vehicle reaches operating temp it is supposed to 'open up' and allow the fan to spin quicker to keep up with the rising temps. Well....it didn't since it always thought it was in 'cooldown'. So I replaced it. Now this is EXTREMELY simple so you may want to look at yours and find out if it's bad (mine was 22 years old from the factory when it rolled off the line).

Tools Needed:

1/2 inch crescent wrench and socket wrench (Standard for my model, not Metric)

The reason you need both is because if your bolts were as hard to get off as mine, you're gonna need to use one to hold the clutch from moving while the other actually removes the bolt.

First, you need to remove the fan shroud via bolts on top and bottom of the shroud (I believe there's 4-6 of them). I can't show you because the top of my shroud is broke off so I didn't have to deal with it.

Second, remove the 4 (Four) bolts that attach the clutch assembly to the water pump.

Then remove the 4 (Four) bolts that hold the fan to the clutch assembly.

Then pull the whole assembly out, take the fan off the clutch (it should be freely roaming on the clutch, unattached) and attach the fan blades (if you don't want to clean it first) to the new fun clutch using the same bolts, granted they are in decent condition. Certain brands will give you bolts and/or washers to replace it with. Installation is the opposite of removal.

This is the old (left) and new (right) clutches with my dirty fan which I since cleaned off and reassembled.

AND THAT, is pretty much all you need to replace the clutch. No need to remove the belt, pulley or anything of the sort. That really is how simple it was to do. Hopefully this helps anyone :D

Infidel Edition
03-18-2014, 12:42 PM
FYI... you could pick up a new fan shroud for $15 +/-
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=cherokee+fan+shroud&x=0&y=0

...:drinking:

My hassle (and knuckle cuts) were due to the :P:P nuts between the fan and pully being stuck with only a short 1/2" wrench to work with

JeepFreak
03-18-2014, 02:49 PM
FYI... you could pick up a new fan shroud for $15 +/-
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=cherokee+fan+shroud&x=0&y=0

...:drinking:

My hassle (and knuckle cuts) were due to the :P:P nuts between the fan and pully being stuck with only a short 1/2" wrench to work with

Yeah I had the same deal. Shortest wrench ever and the fact that the clutch itself kept moving didn't help. Those nuts hadn't been removed in 22 years so they were being real stubborn.

And normally I would just replace the fan shroud but honestly, I don't really care because I can get to a LOT of things easier now :)