PDA

View Full Version : 98 2WD Convert to 4x4

XJchamp
03-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Hey All,

Picked up a clean rust free 98 sport 4 door found on CL in Austin TX . Price was right , $800 and I had an empty trailer coming my way, WNY . Free shipping was a big factor deciding to start this on this build .
I also have 97 2dr 4x4 4.0L auto 163k mile one owner which unfortunately is badly rusted in the sub frame rails . My plan was to transfer the drivetrain from the 97 to 98 but I came across a complete low mileage 98 4x4 donor drivetrain.
So, this week I'm beginning the 4x4 conversion. Hope to have it done by next weekend...

If Anyone is interested in this build, I will post pictures and document build plan and progress updates .

XJ Champ , Btw Champ was my dog, friend . hence

abebehrmann
03-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Sounds cool! Can't wait to see all the pics!

Brasscatz
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Absolutely interested! Post away!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

XJchamp
03-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Made good progress this weekend . Installed trans , t case and front diff . Need to pick up a dust shield , speed sensor harness ext, shorten the drive shaft and a few misc pieces. Hope to test drive next weekend .
Will do a punch list soon ..

4.3LXJ
03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Sounds good so far. Congrats

bluedragon436
03-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Seems like a very productive weekend... Glad it is all going well with the conversion...

XJchamp
03-22-2014, 09:39 PM
First drive with 4x4 components installed !!
Previous owner stated engine ran well but I hadn't heard it run until this week.
Pleasant surprise , runs great . Way better than any 180k motor I ever had. Perhaps it's a rebuilt engine not sure. At any rate , good oil pressure ,quiet plenty of go.
This weeks progress :
Remove 2wd components replace with 4WD components
Replace broken window pass door front
Replace missing thermostat housing install install new thermostat
Change oil
Change all other fluids

Test Drive!!

Punch list and build plan pending .

XJ Wheeler
03-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Nice work! Not a small task at all too.

Gorgeous cat man!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

XJchamp
03-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Found out a little more about the jeep from the previous owner today . She bought it from the original owner who purchased it new in Abilene TX. Being a two wheel drive west Texas jeep with only two owners that kept up regular maintenance, could be the reason it runs so well . Highway miles and regular oil changes are a good thing. When I bought the jeep the transmission was in the cargo area along with the crossmember , starter , nuts and bolts strewn in . According to the PO the transmission "went out" and was removed .

I located a 4000 mile , not a rebuilt, transmission from a trusted wrecking yard that had stored it many years inside their warehouse. Also got a low mileage front diff and T case from them. Everything works flawlessly .

2 wd to 4 wd conversion is painless and everything is plug n play . Highly recommend it for us poor road salt infected Yankees . Find a donor XJ if you can .

Plan on driving it a bit and fixing the little things like sagging headliner , wiper blades , passenger side mirror etc .
Need to adjust the shifter as Reverse is Actually Drive if that makes any sense .

Needs a good cleaning in and out but that's about it for now .

This will be a weekly driver and mild off road camping jeep this summer . During this time I will be upgrading the suspension , adding a trailer hitch , rear bumper with spare tire mount . Will be installing improved headlights as well .. I like what I've read about OME 2-3 inch lifts

That's it for now ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XJchamp
03-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks all for the interest and replies ..
XJ Wheeler, thanks . That's Dave the cat . He's one unique dude !

XJchamp
03-29-2014, 01:29 PM
XJ has been sitting a week since 4wd transplant. Garage space is limited , too many cars but a wonderful problem to have. Parked the XJ at my son in laws next to his barn after the 12 mile maiden voyage after converting to 4WD ..
Being Saturday and a bit warmer I decided it was time for a little more testing . Grabbed the jump box and headed off to play . Not surprisingly the XJ didn't start on its own as the battery is old and was completely discharged before the transplant .. With a little nudge from the jump box the engine willingly started. For some reason it would not idle at first but once I feathered the throttle and backed out it idled perfectly ..Any thoughts why this may have happened?

Headed up the road for a mile or so making sure all was well. Temp? check . oil pressure ? check
fuel ? check. The closed for winter road was in sight , Go !! Snow ice pack and mud , perfect. A pull on the lever transfer case did its thing . The spinning ceased and the XJ was doing what it's meant to do . The smile on my face confirmed what we all on this site share ... This is just too cool..
What a way to spend a Saturday .

XJCHAMP out

4.3LXJ
03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Congrats on the play day. Your idle air controller was probably a little sticky from sitting. But if it works now, no biggie