PDA

View Full Version : HID Xenon Kit 'dear god did i screw up"

redneck999
03-15-2014, 11:46 PM
My wife for valentines day ordered me this hid conversion kit off ebay and i just got around to installing it tonight. got all finished and turned them on aimed at the wall and OH GOD it blows light everywhere. if i put a magazine under the bottom half of light the upper light dims down and same in reverse. jeez its all over, i can see coons in the trees. what have i done.

4.3LXJ
03-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Herhe, must be time for coon hunting :D

redneck999
03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Here in illinois its open season on coon and coyote. Coons carry parvo and the coyotes are getting rampant, loosing fear of man and eating house pets. We have had wild dogs and coyotes mix breeding here for a long time, call them coydogs but now i guess coyotes and wolves are mixing making a bigger more aggressive breed. Because of coyotes we hardly have any ground nesting birds, no quail or pheasants unless purchased from a local breeder. Anyway.. OH GOD how do i fix this? Light is everywhere, i dont want to be that guy, do i need to get projector housing instead of diamond cut. She ordered this as a kit complete and thats the way it came.

4.3LXJ
03-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Yes, you need a projector housing. Get the Hella E code housing. They are all glass and you will need that for the heat the HIDs put out

redneck999
03-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Suggest ebay or a prefered vendor?

redneck999
03-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Didnt find correct ones on amazonHL72310 Hella 165mm ECE Hi-Lo H4 Conversion Headlamp With City Lamp
Be the first to review this product

HL72310 Hella 165mm ECE Hi-Lo H4 Conversion Headlamp With City Lamp

Sealed beam headlamps were introduced in the 1930s to provide a consistant quality of headlamps. Prior to that, headlamp design was left up to the vehicle manufacturer and lighting ability varried greatly.

The problem with sealed beams is that the lens, reflector and fillaments are all part of a bonded assembly. When the filament burns out, the entire lamp is discarded. Consequently, the sealed beam has become a commodity. As long as it meets the DOT standard, the only thing that matters is low cost. The DOT standard allows for a very loose pattern with a wide transition from dark to light. Many sealed beams still conform to the antiquated pre 2000 DOT standard that required 20% of the light go up to illuminate overhead signs.

All of this results in lamps that dazzle oncoming traffic and at the same time supply poor illumination of the road. The sharp low beam cutoff of Hella ECE lamps makes the areas that are supposed to be dark darker and the lighted areas to be brighter. We say that our lamps are four times brighter on low beam and twice as bright on high beam. Refer to the Isolux drawings at left.

Features:

City Light Bulb Included

Replaces 4652, 4655, H4656, H4666 H4668, 4747, H6545, H6545BL, and HP6545 Sealed Beams

Silverized Polished Aluminum Reflector

Low beam transition from dark to light in less than an inch, at 25 feet.

Optical Quartz Lens.

Replaceable H4 twin fillament bulb allows use of modern high performance bulb technology.

Tight Pattern allows optical aiming.

Sold for off road and competition use only (;-) or ebay, Susquehanna MotorSports,

redneck999
03-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Hella 5X7" Rectangular E-Code (ECE) H4 Conversion Headlamp Housing
Quadratec Part No: 97009.6010
Manufacturer Part No: 003427011 $50.00

redneck999
03-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Hella Vision Plus Rectangular H4 Conversion Halogen Headlight
For 84-01 JeepĀ® Wrangler YJ & Cherokee XJ, MJ
Quadratec Part No: 97009.02
Manufacturer Part No: 003427291 $55.00 I haven found anything with projector in it for hella

JFHill
03-16-2014, 01:26 PM
redneck999,

The reason the light is projected all over is due to the bulb type AND the headlamp housing. The refraction in the housing is designed this way(remember old school where the refraction was cut into the glass on the front). The bulb kit you have is the same style as my current one. Low beam on HID and Hi on an incandescent bulb(which you will probably notice makes absolutely NO difference when turned on). These bulbs have no shield around bottom side which deflects light to the top of the refraction in the lamp housing and therefore directs the light downward. Try adjusting your lights down at least 2-3 complete turns on the adjustment screw.( This is supposed to be done on ALL HID kits as the lights are so much brighter than a halogen)

I had motorized Beamers bulbs(Brand of kit I have)in my XJ,but, the were getting about a year old and one was turning a bit yellowish in color instead of the light blue. While I am waiting for some to come in to my work(Custom Truck Parts Inc), I bought a similar set to yours.

Instead of swapping everything,I just replaced bulbs with an 8000K set, removed the Hi beam bulb as it made no difference and I have Rigid LED lights on the front too. Even the motorized bulbs don't get brighter.....they just pull back and refract the light higher.

This is also why you are lighting the sky up...LOL. I noticed the new bulbs are shorter than the motorized I had in....so I had to adjust down again.

Hope this helps you out....give it a try. Otherwise, get a good set of housings. Mine are VisionX brand and take an H4 Bulb.

Cheers and good luck,

Let me know how you make out,

Jan

Azzy
03-16-2014, 02:52 PM
You are actually better off with a yellower light, due to how our eyes are built. You will have better vision at night, and blind less people.

And you need HID projector housings for HID beams. Expect to pay a good bit for a full set. This isnt something you can get away with properly for under $100.

Hartly
03-16-2014, 04:45 PM
I love my 4300 hids in hella ecode housings. Best lights ive had on any vehicle. Also remember sun light falls into the 4200-4400 range so the 4300s give great visability and are easy on the eyes

redneck999
03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
well i adjusted the pass side down about 9 turns and went to do driver side and low and behold the screw is striped imagine that! its 31 degrees and windier now.

4.3LXJ
03-16-2014, 07:48 PM
That would make a real difference

redneck999
03-16-2014, 10:18 PM
now i gotta cobble something together for a new adj screw gggggggrrrrrrrrr
I think i will still order a set of projectors anyway

4.3LXJ
03-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Is it the nylon nut that is stripped?

bluedragon436
03-16-2014, 10:50 PM
I love my HID's I have in my truck and my car... But think I'll sticks ith my H4 Hella E-code upgrade, Hella 80/100w bulbs, and the full headlight harness upgrade like I had in my 98... That gave me plenty of light for the road as well as trails... But am very interested to see what you do to get this all working the best... Might change my mind on the standard setup I had on the 98 when I do my next build..

redneck999
03-17-2014, 12:36 AM
I did the harness about two years ago and ran silverstars but started getting moisture in one lamp so that got me on the idea of this and the wife ran with it. Appears that the screw itself is stripped. Not enough room to turn with needle nose so if i can cut a slot in the head maybe with die grinder? I ordered a set of projector heads tonight and when that gets in we will change everything over then.

bluedragon436
03-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Yeah I'd say either use a die grinder or a dremel to cut a slot in there for a flathead... I have to say the headlight harness upgrade was certainly one of my favorite mods for the 98..

JFHill
03-17-2014, 01:36 AM
You are actually better off with a yellower light, due to how our eyes are built. You will have better vision at night, and blind less people.

And you need HID projector housings for HID beams. Expect to pay a good bit for a full set. This isnt something you can get away with properly for under $100.

Why do you feel you NEED a projector housing for HID lights???? If this was the case, don't you think ALL HID manufacturers would recommend this??? A good set of housings has a clean cut line and are perfectly suited for HID bulbs.

Also, yellow? Really? The pure white or slight blue is far better for seeing at night. Much crisper light. Even slight blue is better for fog and snow.
Has nothing to do with how are eyes are built IMO, but more to do with what we are accustomed to. Most lighting... Even household is now PURE WHITE or even LED is this way. Much superior light color.

Give some a try..... You may be surprised. I have been installing these systems for years here in B.C. The 6-8 K are by far the most popular and most widely recommended color of all HID's.

But hey, just my opinion.

Basslicks
03-17-2014, 08:17 AM
I did a cheapy HID kit in my XJ... I've had very good luck with it, I just wish I would have known about the bi-xenon kit back when I did it. The cheap halogen hi-beam that comes with it is pointless.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FnV2VRqFLZo/UjV8SZfdRvI/AAAAAAAADKg/tbEBUSiI1lQ/s800/IMAG0426.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oTWfPlixHq0/UjV8StsHgSI/AAAAAAAADK0/ECfvqznSM7M/s800/IMAG0427.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2xk1K94yb0c/UjV8Xgu3P1I/AAAAAAAADMw/7kWod8AqmzM/s800/IMAG0448.jpg

redneck999
03-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I believe my set has the 5000k bulbs. Im gonna slot all the screws for the alignment since the screws use this little ass bit that too delicate. make everything phillips or slotted, the way god intended it. Man shouldnt have to have a 54 bit torqs set in standard, metric, left handed and french. Its stupid. Hear me roar! Ps all bolts should be square. no more 10 different sets of sockets. 4 point and thats it, simple. This saves tons of room in the tool box for important things like duct tape and extra socks!

JeepAdiction
03-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Check these out. Not much help for the XJ but work for the TJ. They are working on the
7x6 size. If you could mount all these parts into a 7x6 housing that would work.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/morimoto-sealed7-headlights-48494.html#.UyizhMso_IU

redneck999
03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
New housings should be here next week then more fun!

bcrosson92
03-21-2014, 06:50 AM
Technically you need to have projectors, but i have the rampage housings from Quadratec and they work fine. i can stand right in front of my jeep with the HID's on and not be blinded. i have used 6K and 8k and never been bothered by cops or other drivers.

redneck999
03-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Got new projector housings in and adjusted as per instructions from daniel stern lighting and it looks like crap. Looks like great big starburst on the wall rippin it all out now and puttin thi old back in. If you liv anywhere near Oakwood Ill you can pick up all the boxes and everything in a bag, done

JFHill
03-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Redneck ,

Did you get the old headlamp housings that came in the kit adjusted properly?? Are you putting them back in with the HID , or are you getting rid of all of it?

My VisionX housings were only $40 bucks for the pair and are fantastic even with HID installed.

I have had projector fog lights before and they did exactly what you are describing that your headlamps did. .... And they were NOT cheap at 200 for the kit. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!! I definitely am NOT a fan of projectors.

Interested in your final outcome!! Keep us posted.

Cheers from B.C. ,

Jan

redneck999
03-22-2014, 07:41 AM
I tried to adjust them last night. Even with the projector housing it just looked like big snow flake on the wall.I had no cutoff line. I got online and looked at what others did and just got more and more dissapointed. so i have 2 sets of housings and a useless set of hid junk. An enormous waste of money and time. Started out as a good idea.

redneck999
03-22-2014, 07:47 AM
What part number were your housings? I just got really jacked over all this.

JFHill
03-23-2014, 12:44 AM
What part number were your housings? I just got really jacked over all this.

Sorry to hear of all the problems you are having. My housings are VisionX VX-57(global lighting systems). They take an H4 type bulb. I also removed the cheap high beam halogen bulb as it does nothing anyway. Plus, my original kit had motorized bulbs for Hi/ Lo. Still waiting for new motorized bulbs.... That why I bought these other ones. Just as good light, but no hi beam now( never used it anyway).

Hope you get this resolved.

Cheers

redneck999
03-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Ill start checking part numbers. It didnt have any cutoff line like my wives hyundai does just a big blob on the wall and yeah the high beam is a joke, wife paid for the original kit and is dissapointed also, not her fault tho

redneck999
03-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I found the housings 65.00 each? would the hid bulb work with this? and school me on these motorized bulbs

Philxj4L
03-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Been thru this when I was planning the headlight upgrade to Cree LEDs. There's a few options. All of these options will save the expense of buying a whole new headlight loom.

1) 140/90 Zenon bulbs. (Not HIDs, but Zenon gas charged in place of Halogen) 2 x 40A relays. Use original loom to power relays (1 for low beam, 1 for hi beam) then full fat feed,from battery/relay to new bulbs.

2) Decent LED units. (Cree gets my $$$ every time) then new reflector/lens units. Buying H3 fitting for both will be a fraction of the price of full LED headlight units available in the US for xj's.

3) HID kit, for them to be of any benifit, you NEED a bi zenon kit, there's loads on eBay.

Whatever option you chose, new reflector/lens pot will make a BIG difference over the standard XJ pots.

JFHill
03-24-2014, 12:34 AM
I found the housings 65.00 each? would the hid bulb work with this? and school me on these motorized bulbs

Yeah, that would be the retail on them. I got them through company account. And yes, the HID bulbs work good with these. Your bulbs should be H4 to fit these.
As far as the motorized bulbs go.... That is a different kit altogether as it takes a separate wiring harness with relay for the hi/ lo beam. The motorized bulb simply pulls back in the socket to change the angle of reflection. Does not get brighter.... Just reflects the light higher. These also have a shield built around the bulb itself...which gave a much sharper cut line.... Not just that tiny one on bottom side of your kit( and the ones I have in now)...( hi beam bulb completely removed and wiring to that bulb also removed from the bulb kit). I left my complete motorized harness and ballasts in and just plugged the low beam to original harness. I only replaced bulbs while waiting for replacements.

I do like the new ones though, so I may just leave it alone. I never used the hi beam anyway.
As Phil said..... LED is a great option too as there is no warm up with them and they project in a very direct pattern. I looked into this option too.... But the cost outweighs the benefit as I have other LED lights on my Jeep,( RIGID INDUSTRIES) , that REALLY light it up!!!

JFHill
03-24-2014, 01:00 AM
FYI, the only difference between xenon and Bi -xenon is that a xenon uses 4 bulbs.... Xenon for the low beam and that crappy halogen for high beam, whereas bi xenon uses a two bulb motorized system. Either bulb or reflector has mechanical movement. Some say the xenon( which you and I both have now) is more prone to failure because of the switching back and forth... Although the low beam does not go out when hi beam turned on.
I feel there is no logical reason for this. The motorized bulbs I feel are more prone to fail due to part wearing from movement between hi and lo.

Bi-xenon is a motorized and has the extra shield around the bulb itself. Otherwise the HID bulbs are EXACTLY the same.
Hope this helps with any confusion/ questions on the two systems of HID you may have.

Cheers,

Jan

redneck999
03-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Oh brudder! man this is just getting more and more involved and expensive! I am debating on the housings

Questions about this part?
Call us at 1-800-603-3429 for more info.
NEW VISION X HEADLIGHT SET OF 2 CLEAR LENS DEFENDER TRUCK SEALED VX-57

Description / Notes:VSXVX-57
"Vision X Headlight -- VISION X 5" x 7" HIGH AND LOW BEAM HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS, RECTANGULAR, CLEAR GLASS LENS, SET OF 2 -- Bulbs not included; Sealed beam type; 12 volts; 55 watts; 5 x 7 x 4.5 in.; DOT compliant; Does not include bulbs; With die-cast aluminum housings, multi-surface reflectors for 30 percent more light output, and clear borosilicate hardened glass lenses; Use replaceable H4 bulbs with part numbers VX-LH4 and VX-HH4; No batteries required; Replaces OE number H6054; With 1-year Vision X limited warranty."

Design : Performance - crystal diamond cut
Type : Sealed beam
Beam : Low and high beam
Bulb type : H4
Certification : DOT compliant
Anticipated ship out time : 1-2 business days
Quantity sold : Set of 2
Product fit : Universal
Color/finish : Clear lens
Bulb included : Without bulb(s)
Light source : Halogen
Condition : New this is listed on ebay and through jc whitney

redneck999
03-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Since i already have 2 pair of housings if i should just find the brightest h4 bulb i can and try those? i upgraded the wiring and the alternator 2 yrs ago , running the old silverstars back in now.

redneck999
03-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Wife is still dissapointed but i will take her for chinese

Brasscatz
03-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Wife is still dissapointed but i will take her for chinese

Sucks, she tried so hard too. All you can do is thank her profusely for the thought, because that's what matters. My wife and I have a general understanding with gift giving... She gives me the gift of buying my own parts, and I give her the gift of buying what she wants. (she's waaaay too picky to surprise her with anything) My parents have a very hard time around Christmas buying gifts for her too lol.

redneck999
03-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Yeah she will sit in the mud and get dirty with me, she is usually my hand for a lot of things but this time i was surfing around and found o couple of options and she chose. Shes easy to buy for, anything camo and goofy colored socks, I have agreed to sit with her tonight and watch teen woof i guess its the season finale. last night she cried over the good wife cause someone got shot, go figure!

jeepin_idaho
03-28-2014, 04:05 AM
Yeah I'd say either use a die grinder or a dremel to cut a slot in there for a flathead... I have to say the headlight harness upgrade was certainly one of my favorite mods for the 98..

I still need to do the harness upgrade. I don't have an excuse for not doing it other than the fact that I'm lazy/working on other bits.

OneArmArrowSlinger
03-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Here in illinois its open season on coon and coyote. Coons carry parvo and the coyotes are getting rampant, loosing fear of man and eating house pets. We have had wild dogs and coyotes mix breeding here for a long time, call them coydogs but now i guess coyotes and wolves are mixing making a bigger more aggressive breed. Because of coyotes we hardly have any ground nesting birds, no quail or pheasants unless purchased from a local breeder. Anyway.. OH GOD how do i fix this? Light is everywhere, i dont want to be that guy, do i need to get projector housing instead of diamond cut. She ordered this as a kit complete and thats the way it came.

Not trying to hijack thread but coon season in IL is not open. I grew up coon hunting & training dogs (not shining, thats another topic:rolleye0012:, lol). Southern Zone is 11/10/2013-2/15/2014 Northern Zone is 11/5/2013-2/10/2014. Coyote season & wild dogs is open but you better know the difference in that & a wolf. Local guy didn't few years ago and the state about ate his lunch. Just hate to see another hunter get in trouble.