PDA

View Full Version : Definity Dakota m/t`s???

bscg2000
03-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone, I am looking into getting tires for Todo. I am running 31x10.5x15`s. I am debating on whether or not to get a set of the Definity Dakota m/t`s form pep boys. Does anyone have any experience with them? any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

XJ Rat
03-16-2014, 03:54 PM
I had these on my TJ for awhile. They are hard tires, give a long tread life (+30K), but have mediocre traction both on and off road. My suggestion, save a little longer and buy a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain. Better tire all around.

bscg2000
03-16-2014, 04:23 PM
I have the bfg all terrains now and don't care much for them. They are wearing funny and FAST. I don't like the traction off road at all.

XJ Wheeler
03-17-2014, 03:52 AM
There may be another issue if they're wearing odd because those tire usually have great tread life.

I have no experience with the Dakotas but you might look into the Falken Rocky Mountain a/t. Its Discount Tires cheaper variant of the Wild Peak a/t, and most seem happy with it. Although its not a mud tire but should handle the road better as such. Also, a bit higher priced the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac seems to be one of the top a/t tires right now and is on the edge of being too aggressive to be one but performs admirably both on and off road (reportedly).

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bscg2000
03-17-2014, 11:00 AM
I appreciate the input. I do need ball joints but even before hand though, the tires were wearing funny. They are a little over a year old and have about 10,000 miles on them and are over half gone. And I don't go our n kick the rear end out every time I turn either or spin every time I take off. Very rarely do I do that at all and if I do then it's wet out so it shouldn't hurt them too bad. Don't understand it. Don't care much for the traction when the roads are wet either. I think they do better in a foot of snow than they do in the rain haha

grainofsalt
03-17-2014, 06:08 PM
I run cooper AT3s and am happy with them, I do alot of highway and they are quieter than the BFG At KO. They also seem better with traction all around.

Just my .02

XJ Wheeler
03-17-2014, 06:36 PM
I appreciate the input. I do need ball joints but even before hand though, the tires were wearing funny. They are a little over a year old and have about 10,000 miles on them and are over half gone. And I don't go our n kick the rear end out every time I turn either or spin every time I take off. Very rarely do I do that at all and if I do then it's wet out so it shouldn't hurt them too bad. Don't understand it. Don't care much for the traction when the roads are wet either. I think they do better in a foot of snow than they do in the rain haha

Yeah, that is very abnormal for these tires. We've run them on three different vehicles and all great tread life. I would expect a set to get 50k, give or take some. We've gotten over 100k in our last work truck (dually).

I could see that how the BFGs could have problems in wet weather because they don't have a very good tread pattern for dispersing water. Can't think of having any problems but typically we would have somebody else's property on the back of our truck so it wasn't the best time for rooster tails. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bscg2000
03-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks j. The cooper a/t's are one of the options I am considering. And thank you too jake. The bfgs do ok off road but I don't think they are anything to brag about though. They do throw some pretty good rooster tails though :) they definitely cover the side of the jeep much easier with spacers on too