PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" Lift, how can I go higher?

gordo
03-12-2014, 10:23 PM
i have a 95 cherokee with a 6.5 rough country what can i do to get more lift i am talking about suspension not tires

07Negative
03-12-2014, 11:38 PM
What do you want to achieve in height & purpose? I couldn't fathom why any one would want to go bigger than that. You can get 40" tires with 6.5/7" lift.

Brasscatz
03-12-2014, 11:44 PM
It can be done, but to be done safely you'll need a lot of custom work. Steering will have to change to over the knuckle, among other things. I don't know everything that needs to be done, but you will need some custom work for almost certain.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

EekGirl96
03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
I had a 7.5" lift, used the Rough Country 6.5" lift kit then added a 1" spacer in front and a 1" block in the rear...I never had any problems with it

NW99XJ
03-13-2014, 10:16 AM
As Brasscatz mentioned, your steering geometry/set-up will have to change.
Forget trying to stay under the knuckle with this one. Cross-over High-steer would be ideal, if nothing else Over The Knuckle Inverted T style will be the bare minimum.
Obviously a drop pitman arm will come into play here, and with that, there will be lots of stress on the steering box, and frame in that area...so reinforcing the box and unibody there will be a necessity.
I haven't seen what tire size your planning on running, or what axles are under it, but obviously an XJ in the 7+" of lift range isnt going to be running 33" tall tires.... so there;s all the things that come into play with that as well.
As far as the lift itself goes. You can gain an easy 1-1.5" in the back with shackle relocation brackets, this will help greatly with the ride as well as articulation as well. To get you in the area of 8"+ you may need to go with some different shackles than what you already have.
Rusty's as well as other companies sell 8" coil springs for the XJ's for relatively cheap, that along with some ACOS will raise and level out the front of the Jeep.
Drivelines and their respective angles will most likely need to be addressed as well, at 6.5" and above, the angle of the front driveline will most likely have to be addressed.... this is going to have to be done in a way that does not affect the ability to properly align the vehicle, so this means cutting off and resetting the spring perches to adjust the pinion angle. The knuckles will of course need the same treatment to ensure the castor angle and toe can be adjusted properly. Sway bar links will need to be lengthened as well. The rear end will most likely need to be shimmed at the very least, but even at 6.5" the pinion angle is so far off from stock, really the best thing to do would be to cut the spring perches and shock mounts and re-weld them back on to set the pinion angle at an appropriate spot to match the lift. Watch your brake lines, especially the rear... those will definitely have to be lengthened if they haven't been already.
Back to tire size..... if you're planning on running 37's on 8" ...then there's obviously going to have to be some body mods done to clear. Some creative bump stopping will come into play here.
Thats about all I can think of right now with onely one cup of coffee in me this morning .
Would like to hear more on what you have and where you would like to be at, and more importantly, why. This information will help us better direct you in the right way to get you where you want to be.