PDA

View Full Version : Somebody got a ARB RD100

Mudderoy
03-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Who now has an ARB RD100 (Dana 30 3.73 and numerically higher gear ratios)? This guy! :P

:link: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARB-RD100-Air-Locker-Locking-Differential-Jeep-Wrangler-Dana-30-D30-TJ-XJ-ZJ-YJ-/231177295818?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d33d97ca&vxp=mtr)

Now I have two reasons to get the on board air installed.

I had day dreams of sitting in traffic fully locked today! :smiley-taunt002:

07Negative
03-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Good lord, you musta been excited to post this at 3a.m.
Congrats on the quality locker! I admit. I've had those thoughts too while in traffic.

4.3LXJ
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Congrats on the quality locker! I admit. I've had those thoughts too while in traffic.

I would be too, but I got mine long ago. :P

Mudderoy
03-12-2014, 10:09 AM

I made it to about 8pm last night, fell asleep in the chair, made it to bed by 9pm, and slept to midnight. Then it was time to get up and edit a mid-week episode for the XJ TALK SHOW! podcast. After that, and some goofing around, I made this post. Didn't get back in bed until 4am :(

Mudderoy
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
I would be too, but I got mine long ago. :P

Well good, this is a used RD100, any recommendations on refresh? Bearings, anything?

NW99XJ
03-12-2014, 10:20 AM
I know they make rebuild kits for the ARB Lockers, I just cant seem to find them online.
It's usually a kit of shims, seals, o-rings, etc.... Really depends on how many hours/miles, etc. the thing has on it.... and/or whether or not it's been refurbished already.
You could take it down to a reputable shop/authorized dealer, and have them test it....
Or contact the seller, and ask them what sort of assurances on condition they can offer you.
These things are built pretty well, so if anything IS wrong with it, it's going to be minor, like a seal/ o-ring or something. Either way, would be nice to know ahead of time BEFORE it gets installed just for peace of mind if nothing else.

07Negative
03-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Damn tony, that's commitment! Good work

xj4life2
03-12-2014, 10:21 AM
definitely replace all the bearings , carrier and pinnion (never use used bearings it just not worth it) new shims and seals also (your there why not) If you order an install kit be sure you let them know that you are running an air locker as they use different bearings than the stock carrier. Also I would replace the air fitting on the locker itself as the brass line is just brazed into it, they not that pricey and about the only thing that ever wears out on a ARB. Congrats on the new addition !!

4.3LXJ
03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Well good, this is a used RD100, any recommendations on refresh? Bearings, anything?

The biggest thing is the air bearing/seal. That is what usually wears out first. It has always been the weak point. Mine will be upgraded when installed. Make sure you run synthetic oil too. The seal will last longer

Mudderoy
03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Great information. thanks guys!

Mudderoy
03-18-2014, 01:34 AM
I'm going to schedule a couple of days off (yeah I know, more than enough) to get the on board air and air horn installed along with the ARB switches mounted in the overhead panel. I need to redo that panel as well. Then I'll be ready for what will be called by future generations as ARB INSTALL day.

bluedragon436
03-18-2014, 01:37 AM
Looks good Tony... so you'll have ARB front and rear locked??

Mudderoy
03-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Looks good Tony... so you'll have ARB front and rear locked??

Yes sir. I really liked the OX lockers. Nothing more simple than a cable and a lever I just didn't like the idea of modifying my daily driver for the cables and the levers. They are about the same price of the ARB and I believe every bit as strong, so ARB was my decision, years ago. You know shortly after you figure out that your 4x4 is a 4x2!

bluedragon436
03-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Yeah I can understand that... The ARB's were an option I was looking at for my 98, since I was planning on running OBA anyways... Maybe on my next build...