PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an XJ

csarver63
03-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Hey everyone! Well i bought an 2001 XJ with pretty low miles and nice body. couple issues but ya know for 13 years old its in great condition. I noticed it doesn't have the stock muffler and whoever installed this one is a hack welder. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good muffler that would give it some throat but not extremely obnoxious? Thanks

Chris
Wisconsin

XJ Wheeler
03-12-2014, 12:16 AM
I have a couple experiences with this to offer. A few years ago i put a magnaflow on my '92 xj 4.0. It has a better sound, especially off idle. At idle it sounds a bit diesel-ish, which i don't like but has a nice sound otherwise. Not like a V8 but more like a higher end tighter motor would have. And for what its worth i have an exhaust leak that may be adding to that diesel sound.

Also, my brother's '90 4.0 has a Flowmaster 44 with a hi-flow cat and his (admittedly jealous) pretty good. Its got a real throaty tone, but is loud while cruising. The 40 series Flowmaster is supposed to sound just as good but not as loud so you might try listening to a few of those, there is tons of exhaust note videos on YouTube. As a matter of fact, here's my bro's '90s exhaust.

Jeep xj flowmaster 44 hi flow cat - YouTube

And welcome to xjtalk! We're here to help!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

csarver63
03-12-2014, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the insight, ill check it out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk