PDA

View Full Version : Just bought tires.....but!

07Negative
03-11-2014, 06:05 PM
I noticed all these misc. bullshit charges. $10 for disposing. Which I'm actually keep them to sell. But then there's a environmental fee of $10! WTF is that about? I think my mom was right when she told be 30 years ago they'll be taxing us on breathing.
Anyhow, do you folks in other state have this shit?

Rocco83
03-11-2014, 08:42 PM
I know you just LOVE California hahaha. Not sure if you ordered them online or bought them at a store, but my local tire guy throws you a price and that is what they are. Might there be hidden fees the receipt doesn't show? Maybe, but his prices are low enough I haven't bothered to ask.

07Negative
03-11-2014, 11:26 PM
CA pisses me off one day at a time. I don't really buy things online. I like my mom & pop shops.

XJ Wheeler
03-12-2014, 12:43 AM
I've noticed stuff like that before but that's higher than any i've seen. Maybe $2 for disposal a tire, and to me that's $2 too much! I always thought it was idiotic to charge people to recycle, which is what they're are gonna do with the old tires. Recycling is great, honestly, but people aren't gonna do it if there's a trash can sitting right next to them without grabby hands wanting their cut. And with as many as there are wanting "theirs", i am still surprised you can take old fluids into an autoparts store for free!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bad luck
03-12-2014, 07:01 AM
I noticed all these misc. bullshit charges. $10 for disposing. Which I'm actually keep them to sell. But then there's a environmental fee of $10! WTF is that about? I think my mom was right when she told be 30 years ago they'll be taxing us on breathing.
Anyhow, do you folks in other state have this shit?

I agree with you, another thing that really pisses me off, is if I have to take a vehicle into a shop for anything they always tack on a charge for shop supplies. This is such a ripoff. The last time I had my truck in the shop, I complained about this and asked them what supplies they were referring to. They said it was for shop towels and wd40 and things like that. I asked them if they used the whole can of wd40 and they said no, so I told them to give me the can with what was left in it, and the bastards wouldn't do it. The shop supplies charge was like 35 dollars, on that bill. This was not always done, they started to do this about twenty years ago, I think. I certainly don't mind paying a fair price for something, and of course they need to make a profit, but I feel that is gouging the customer. Maybe I should try to charge an additional fee to the customers I deliver freight for, to cover the cost of my tires wearing out.

07Negative
03-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Recycling has its "foot print" as well. Ppl here look down or talk shit about states that don't recycle. But coming from a farm in Iowa. We didn't generate the amount of trash ppl do here. So it's like who's the real asshole here?
Another thing. A good amount of our used tires end up in places like south east Asia!
1) http://www.afstechnology.com/blog/649/

2) http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/conserve/materials/tires/basic.htm

Brasscatz
03-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Shops have to pay another company to come pick up their used tires and oil for recycling. When I worked in a shop, an oil change was $18.95, but after tax and "environmental fee" (oil disposal), it came out to $22.01. Very cheap fee per customer.

Now, in your case, you have a tire disposal fee that's understandable if you weren't taking them with ya because those tire recycling companies that come pick them up aren't cheap. BUT. BUT. What is that extra environmental fee?? I don't understand that.

07Negative
03-12-2014, 10:34 AM
It's a CA thing no doubt about it. I'm guessing its all added up to pay for the ship that takes the waste overseas. Or they just like taking ones money.

NW99XJ
03-12-2014, 10:46 AM
YUP! ...We have the "disposal" fee BS here too.... When I bought my 31" Duratracs from the Goodyear tire center down the way from my place, I started going thru the itemized list, and noticed all the separate charges for everything from valve stems, and wheel weights to the environmental and disposal fees... Since I was taking my old tires back, I called them on it, and got a lot back pedaling, etc.... but in the end I WON.
SO TAKE THAT, E.P.A.!!!!!

nickyg
03-12-2014, 10:47 AM
When I got my tires here in N.C, I had a environmental fee and a disposal fee. I think it came to about $5 a tire. I saved the money and took my old tires home. put em at the curb and someone took em.

Hartly
03-12-2014, 10:54 AM
The shops iv worked had a $2ea tire disposal because we had to pay to have them hauled off. But we SOLD our old oil to recyclers.

07Negative
03-12-2014, 11:51 PM
YUP! ...We have the "disposal" fee BS here too.... When I bought my 31" Duratracs from the Goodyear tire center down the way from my place, I started going thru the itemized list, and noticed all the separate charges for everything from valve stems, and wheel weights to the environmental and disposal fees... Since I was taking my old tires back, I called them on it, and got a lot back pedaling, etc.... but in the end I WON.
SO TAKE THAT, E.P.A.!!!!!

I can see that coming from Oregon actually. Too bad we don't have your gun laws & assisted suicide laws. I'd be more than happy to pay fees. :)
I'm pretty sure if I told them I'm taking the tires. They'd refund me. Well.... At least I hope. As far as the environmental fee goes. I'm just going to tell them I don't comply. And since I'm taking my old tires. Why should I pay? I also think that the tire corps got this tax burdon and passes it along to the consumer like wireless companies do.
I've just been really he'll bent on shit lately. $5 this $12 that. Over X amount of times a month.