PDA

View Full Version : D30 Low Pinion

YellowSub2000
10-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Just thought I would drop a note for those that are curious.

I had to get rid of my TJ to the bank back in April, but not before taking everything off. To include my D30 Low, and D35 with 4.56 Gears, TruTrack Lockers, and Alloy shafts. Once I was lack of a TJ, I decided to change to an XJ. Since I had these axles, I looked for an XJ with the same D30/D35 setup, although I knew it was a D30 High. I know the high, stock, is stronger than the low. But again, mine aren't stock.

Once I got the XJ, I noticed that the front axle was a direct bolt on, except the Drive shaft mount location. Decided to try it anyway, since I also have my front drive shaft from the my TJ (About 6" longer). Once bolted on, I tried to install the TJ shaft (Since I knew the low pinion would need to be a little longer). Didn't fit. So I tried the XJ drive shaft. It fit.

Now the question was what happens when it flexed, since the XJ has a 3" lift. So I jack up the frame/body, and leave the axle hanging. The driveshaft barely extended.

Low and behold, bottom line.

The XJ can have a D30 Low Pinion with no problems.

Mudderoy
10-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Just thought I would drop a note for those that are curious.

I had to get rid of my TJ to the bank back in April, but not before taking everything off. To include my D30 Low, and D35 with 4.56 Gears, TruTrack Lockers, and Alloy shafts. Once I was lack of a TJ, I decided to change to an XJ. Since I had these axles, I looked for an XJ with the same D30/D35 setup, although I knew it was a D30 High. I know the high, stock, is stronger than the low. But again, mine aren't stock.

Once I got the XJ, I noticed that the front axle was a direct bolt on, except the Drive shaft mount location. Decided to try it anyway, since I also have my front drive shaft from the my TJ (About 6" longer). Once bolted on, I tried to install the TJ shaft (Since I knew the low pinion would need to be a little longer). Didn't fit. So I tried the XJ drive shaft. It fit.

Now the question was what happens when it flexed, since the XJ has a 3" lift. So I jack up the frame/body, and leave the axle hanging. The driveshaft barely extended.

Low and behold, bottom line.

The XJ can have a D30 Low Pinion with no problems.

I'm really sorry you had to get rid of the TJ, but I'm glad you shared the information you found out. One of the reasons I want to get the wife a TJ is I have heard the drive train is nearly identical. I know the XJ so I know the TJ. At least that's my thought process.

4.3LXJ
10-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info. Everyone discounts the low pinion, but I don't. They are still good axles if you don't over tire them.

xj4lifetwo
10-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Good info as the HP are getting hard to find, I might ad though that I have wheeled with guys in ZJ's and they have the LP and do just fine. No more issues than the HP that I have seen

96xj
10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
i think the Lp and Hp are equely as good it just the matter of Clearance

4.3LXJ
10-08-2009, 10:46 AM
There has been a myth going around for as long as the high pinion has been around. Supposedly the high pinion has a stronger set of gears because of the way they are cut. When going forward, they are running on the front side of the gears and have more surface area in contact, and therefore stronger in that direction. Whereas a low pinion would be running on the back side in a front differential. I read an article a few months back that stated by actual test, there was no signifiant difference.

Mudderoy
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Does everyone agree that a HP is better then because of the clearance, and reduced drive shaft angle?

96xj
10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Does everyone agree that a HP is better then because of the clearance, and reduced drive shaft angle?

me me me i do:thumbsup:

firehawk
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Simply put.....YES:D IMO

alwaysxj
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM

that would be a yes from me too.

i have never run a lp but i have read alot about them and the only thing that is the different is the clearance and the drive shaft angle. :stars:

4.3LXJ
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM

:banana: Me too

COSXJFAN
10-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I have heard about the differences in strength as well, and wondered about that. I had a 95 ZJ, and it had the LPD30 and CV shafts, and I never had any issues, but I didn't wheel it like I wheel my current, that's for sure!! I would still think that the HPD30 is the best choice due to the angles and clearance alone.

BlueXJ
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I have heard about the differences in strength as well, and wondered about that. I had a 95 ZJ, and it had the LPD30 and CV shafts, and I never had any issues, but I didn't wheel it like I wheel my current, that's for sure!! I would still think that the HPD30 is the best choice due to the angles and clearance alone.

:dito:Totally correct!!!

DETOURS
10-08-2009, 08:12 PM
It's all about clearance & pinion pitch...........but you did'nt here that from me. :rolleyes:

Jeep88
10-21-2009, 11:33 PM
nice to take off the parts off the jeep befor the bank took it from you

YellowSub2000
11-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Yeah, it is. I just dropped the rear D35 for the upgrade TJ D35 (Although I need to change the mounts.)

Installed Disc Brakes on the Rear D35 as well.

muddeprived
11-11-2009, 11:33 AM
It's all about clearance & pinion pitch...........but you did'nt here that from me. :rolleyes:

couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

Jeep88
11-12-2009, 12:40 AM
couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:same with you