PDA

View Full Version : Rear Leaf Spring selection

dagod16
03-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Before I make my purchase.

I really need to replace the rear spring, bolts and shackles. The shackles are rusted pretty bad. One of the brackets holding the leaf together is broken. SO I am just going to replace it all. The rubbers, leaf, shackle and bolts.

I just want the normal leaf spring, but I do pull a pop up camper and it makes the rear sag when hooked up. If I get a different leaf spring will it help reduce the sag? If yes .... then

What happens when I take the camper off the hitch.....will it raise the height of the rear end? Which I don't want it to be raised higher during daily driving.

Thanks

4.3LXJ
03-09-2014, 11:53 AM
The normal stock height is a little higher in the rear than the front anyway. So if you get new replacement springs, the rear will go up. When pulling a load, the rear will squat with a soft spring like what is on the XJ. So even with a new spring, a load will squat it at least a little. But probably not as much. There are some companies, I think JC Whitney is one, that offer a couple of options for rear leaves. Also if you can afford it, Old Man Emu can supply you with different load bearing springs that will ride well

dagod16
03-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Who is old man emu? Hahah

Yep I know the rear is a bit higher. So which style do I get which would replace what I currently have? I don't mind what I currently have....but!!!!! If I can get something that will work better with a camper and won't lift up much then I am ok with that. Keep in mind I really don't do any off roading.
Can someone give me a link?

4.3LXJ
03-09-2014, 12:21 PM
One thing I did once was to put air bags on the rear. I could carry a load and then deflate them or even take them off. But you cannot run stock wheels with them. The tires will rub a hole in the bags. The wheels have to be moved out a little

dagod16
03-09-2014, 01:36 PM
I think I would like to just replace everything with just normal standard stuff. I just don't know what standard is??? Do I count the number of leafs in the leaf spring?
Leaf springs get old don't they?

4.3LXJ
03-09-2014, 01:46 PM
The standard spring is four leaves. Standard springs can be gotten from a number of sources

Rocco83
03-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Just look somewhere like rockauto. They have OEM type replacements. At least for mine they have heavy duty type OEM replacements.

dagod16
03-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Do I need an OEM brand?

Also if I get a more heavy duty leaf spring for the back, won't it also be a rougher ride?

If the rear doesn't go higher with a heavy duty spring I would get it I think??

Also on last question. How long does the bump stop last in between the front springs? If I have the springs out would it just be wise to replace with a new bump stop or don't worry and use the old ones.

thanks

4.3LXJ
03-09-2014, 06:35 PM
You don't need OEM. There are lots of spring manufacturers out there. Yes heavy duty means higher spring rates and a little rougher ride. If a bump stop looks good, it is

dagod16
03-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Yes I noticed a bunch of different brands. So if I buy the same number of leafs just like I have it will be about the same.

Also if I do get the new bump stops would it help with comfort at all. Or just remove the current bump stops, wipe them off and put them back in place because I can't get anything better.

4.3LXJ
03-09-2014, 08:18 PM
The bump stops will not improve comfort. They only come into play if the suspension is completely bottomed out. Then it is just a matter of not having metal contact metal

dagod16
03-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Well I'm gonna start with the front coil spacers and maybe a little rust proofing.
I can't tell you how bad the rear leaf shackle is on both sides, and the spacer is on the front. The spacer on the front is almost non-existent and the other one is just semi bad. But I think it will help once they are replaced.

dagod16
06-12-2014, 10:27 PM
So I took the xj in and had the rear leaf springs upgraded. A new leaf was added, and the whole thing was put back together and reinstalled. Much much better. First off it lifted it up back to the original position like when it was new. I guess I didn't realize how bad the leaf springs were sagging, especially when the camper gets put on the back. So I am happy.

Also when I hit a bump in the road I don't hear the rattle anymore. The rear end also seems to spring back much better which allows the shocks in the back to work properly. IT was $256 for new leafs, ubolts, and various other parts. IT was 2 hours of labor at $90 an hour. But the grade total was $256. I was seriously expecting $400 to 500 smackers.

So I need to figure out what the next project is. : )