PDA

View Full Version : New Headers!!!!! Maybe intake manifold swap??? Install tips

TheWeiss
10-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I just picked up a setof the Banks Torque tube headers at solid discount and I'm looking to do the install myself. Aside from being terrified by the bolts holding them on (180K Miles in PA weather :eek:) I'm also considering doing the 99+ intake swap while I've in there (still gotta hunt down the intake) I'm opening this tread for any and all tips, advice or horror stories anyone would like offer up.

Mudderoy
10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I had to replace my cracked exhaust manifold. I would definatly do the intake at the same time. I mean it's the same freaking bolts! Mine was bought new and in the Houston area. I didn't have any problems getting the bolts out. I'd get a good ez-out set though.

It's no guarantee, but you might try taking out the front bolt and that might give you an idea how tough the others will be.

Keep us updated, good information for others on here.

alwaysxj
10-07-2009, 04:01 PM
never done this sorry but would like to.

Echo5XJ
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I can get you a 99+ intake manifold. Send me a pm if interested.

Voldemort
10-08-2009, 03:03 AM
The only thing you have to look for is make sure you header is for '99+ because of the size difference the'99 and older headers do not fit well with the bigger intake.

TheWeiss
10-08-2009, 08:21 AM
UT oh. So you're saying that if I purchased headers for a '96 I might have issues bolting that on to a '96 engine with a 99+ intake? That could present a problem...

Voldemort
10-08-2009, 02:53 PM
UT oh. So you're saying that if I purchased headers for a '96 I might have issues bolting that on to a '96 engine with a 99+ intake? That could present a problem...
yes, some even say not to use with '99+.

UKJeepThang
10-09-2009, 02:30 AM
I've got to do this at some stage soon too so any tips would be much appreciated. :D

BlueXJ
10-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Try to stick with the proper years for your application.

TheWeiss
12-04-2009, 10:18 AM
OK so I installed the headers but my camera ran out of batteries. Sorry no pictures :( but I also installed a Magnaflow high flow cat at the same time. So the exhaust is as follows Banks Torque tube headers, stock downpipe, magnaflow cat, and borla catback. The headers, obviously, were the last to go on. I was expecting my Jeep to be seriously loud but now that they are on the exhaust is quieter than it was before. What sound there is is softer and throaty-er. My butt dyno says that the headers were worth their weight in gold. It feels like a lot more low end torque (which is the point) and they run smooth in the higher RPM's. I'm interested to see how they effect the mileage (if at all) I'll let you guys know after a tank of two of highway and city driving.

jeepmedic
12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
i have an intresting ?? then if you going from a 96 to 99 and would need to have the right exaust. if both exaust and intake where both changed could you replace 89 with an 92+?