PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Purgatory

Rocco83
03-06-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm in Jeep purgatory right now it feels like. I should have my Jeep back together and zipping down the road before the weekend, which is good. The engine swap is coming in quite a bit over budget but that isn't all a bad thing. While I have it apart I'm replacing most of the sensors and anything else I can reach while it is all still in pieces. Figure that will cut down on repairs and help rule out potential problems that may crop up soon.

My main issue is that I need tires and realized when I was under the Jeep wire wheeling the frame to repair and paint that my brake lines are looking quite sketchy and may need replaced. I had hoped to not bother with tires or brake lines until after I got around to lifting it and would have to address those issues then. I have to figure out whether or not to address those issues now, or take my chances and hold out until I get around to my lift.

As far as the lift I plan on doing at least 6.5" as I want 33's and would prefer to not do much trimming. Pretty sure 33's would be fine without messing with gears and whatnot, and I think I can do those without trimming. I know I'd need brake line extensions, but would most likely try to replace all the brake lines. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what all I will need to change as I haven't lifted an XJ before.

Any suggestions?

xj-jake
03-06-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm in Jeep purgatory right now it feels like. I should have my Jeep back together and zipping down the road before the weekend, which is good. The engine swap is coming in quite a bit over budget but that isn't all a bad thing. While I have it apart I'm replacing most of the sensors and anything else I can reach while it is all still in pieces. Figure that will cut down on repairs and help rule out potential problems that may crop up soon.

My main issue is that I need tires and realized when I was under the Jeep wire wheeling the frame to repair and paint that my brake lines are looking quite sketchy and may need replaced. I had hoped to not bother with tires or brake lines until after I got around to lifting it and would have to address those issues then. I have to figure out whether or not to address those issues now, or take my chances and hold out until I get around to my lift.

As far as the lift I plan on doing at least 6.5" as I want 33's and would prefer to not do much trimming. Pretty sure 33's would be fine without messing with gears and whatnot, and I think I can do those without trimming. I know I'd need brake line extensions, but would most likely try to replace all the brake lines. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what all I will need to change as I haven't lifted an XJ before.

Any suggestions?

You can get some pretty complete lift kits out there that come with brake line extensions and all. My preferred company is Iron Rock Offroad. 33's may be a little big for stock gearing but it works. You should be able to avoid trimming too much with proper bumpstops. I'm sure someone will chime in here and correct me but iirc wrangler brake lines will fit right in there and be long enough to allow for the lift without too much of a problem. Don't forget the pb blaster or deep creep for all the bolts you will be removing it can be a life saver.