PDA

View Full Version : 2 in lift wobble and alignment

dycksonjl
03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
I installed a 2" budget lift on my 1992 XJ. Spacers and shackles. Now it wobbles and shakes when braking. There is also a little shimmy at certain speeds. I have had the wheels balanced and front end aligned. I was told by the alignment shop that they could only adjust the toe and the caster is still out. is there an adjustment for the caster?

4.3LXJ
03-06-2014, 10:25 AM
No, there is not. To adjust it you have to have adjustable suspension links. But back to your shakes. The braking issue is probably a warped rotor which you did not notice before. When you lift a Jeep, it will start to exhibit this shaking you did not have before due to the new angles of the suspension track bar and drag link. The most likely culprit for all this is the track bar bushing. Have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running while you inspect the track bar attachment points as well as tie rod ends. If anything moves at attachment points, it needs to be fixed. You might want to adjust your steering box too

abebehrmann
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
I thought on the frame side of the lower control arms there is room for maybe an inch of adjustment for caster, I could be wrong though. How long has it been since you had your brake rotors turned or replaced?

dycksonjl
03-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check the bushings on the track bar and tie rod ends.

dycksonjl
03-06-2014, 01:27 PM
I had the rotors turned about 6 months ago. I didn't notice any shaking until I installed the lift.

dycksonjl
03-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Would it help if I replaced the track arm bushing and tie rod ends?

4.3LXJ
03-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Do the steering wheel thing I described. You don't want to just start throwing money at it do you? $10 might just fix it if you know what it is for sure

dycksonjl
06-03-2014, 03:07 PM
I replaced the track bar bushing and the sway bar link bushing. seems to have fixed the wobble. I still notice some shaking when braking. Should I machine the rotors?

4.3LXJ
06-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Yes, sounds like a brake job is in order