PDA

View Full Version : 95 Grand Cherokee Engine dying problem

ETXXJ89
02-23-2014, 10:27 AM
OK so I just picked up this 95 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 v8 in it and auto trans, truck starts and runs fine no problems going forward at all, however when I put it in reverse if I give it any gas at all it dies. I can put it in reverse with my foot on the brake and it will idle fine, take my foot off brake and let it back up under its own power, fine. its only when I apply the gas it dies, and doesn't matter if I ease into it or gouge on it even with the whole gas brake at the same time. It only does it in reverse so im stumped. any ideas?

4.3LXJ
02-23-2014, 10:32 AM
That is a weird one. Check your motor mounts? Motor might be flopping and the idle controller may not be able to compensate

ETXXJ89
02-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Checked motor mounts, they are fine. my buddy finally returned my call and he says sounds like a vacuum line may be off or cracked. I know ZERO about jeeps but know my way around under a hood. do the 95 GC's run off any vacuum?

4.3LXJ
02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
If it was a 4.7 I could answer that. We are pulling one of those now. But there are some sources of vacuum you might want to check. First, the large line from the brake booster. That one is large enough to kill it if it is loose or cracked. Should be another to the cruise control, but I cannot see that one killing the engine. Did you have someone put their foot on the brake and rev the engine in gear to check those mounts?