PDA

View Full Version : OK, The AW4 is 1 hell of a tranny!

OldFaurt
02-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Shifting was a bit soft & erratic so I decided to pull the pan, Filter and have a quick look around in there.

Well the first surprise?

My 7 quart drain pan was full to within 1/2" from the top:confused:
I thought these things got 4 quarts with a filter change?
Well still got along down the freeway so I am thinking it did little damage.
While I was in there I set the line pressure regulator up 1 step as I like a bit more pressure on the clutch plates.
Cleaned the pan out, no smoke or guts laying around so I cleaned the gasket surfaces and re-installed the pan. filled it with 4 quarts and did the run-in routine, then checked the level. Looked good but will check again tomorrow after running around a bit with some freeway miles.
The round the block test showed improved shifting and a much better lock-up. I am hoping for a bit better MPG and a happier Tranny!

Maybe I should paint that tranny Red :D

Mudderoy
02-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Shifting was a bit soft & erratic so I decided to pull the pan, Filter and have a quick look around in there.

Well the first surprise?

My 7 quart drain pan was full to within 1/2" from the top:confused:
I thought these things got 4 quarts with a filter change?
Well still got along down the freeway so I am thinking it did little damage.
While I was in there I set the line pressure regulator up 1 step as I like a bit more pressure on the clutch plates.
Cleaned the pan out, no smoke or guts laying around so I cleaned the gasket surfaces and re-installed the pan. filled it with 4 quarts and did the run-in routine, then checked the level. Looked good but will check again tomorrow after running around a bit with some freeway miles.
The round the block test showed improved shifting and a much better lock-up. I am hoping for a bit better MPG and a happier Tranny!

Maybe I should paint that tranny Red :D

So it was over filled by a large amount then? Almost double?

XJ Wheeler
02-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Its been a few months since i've done it, and well, my memory is horrible... but i believe the AW4 takes 5.5 quarts after a pan drop. My guess is someone checked the fluid cold and thought it should be at the "hot" level. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

OldFaurt
02-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Yes, I have heard many time that overfilled transmissions fail big time, but this one,(so far) seem to have come through unscathed! Hard for me to accept, but...
The big question will be how it responds as the the old fluid is circulated through the clutch packs for the next few days. The oil did not smell but did have a darker color.
The stick showed an over fill, but since it was just shifting soft, I thought maybe he replaced the dipstick or some such.

Well gee, Who knew?

OldFaurt
02-16-2014, 08:10 AM
Its been a few months since i've done it, and well, my memory is horrible... but i believe the AW4 takes 5.5 quarts after a pan drop. My guess is someone checked the fluid cold and thought it should be at the "hot" level. :D

Yesterday after 15 minute drive, it showed just a touch on the lower full of side.
I have to drive a ways today so it will get warmer and burp some of those bubbles out. I will let you know what the final fill was!
By the way, Good Morning!

gary63
02-16-2014, 08:50 AM

will if you change the filter or just the fluid you get alittle more out if you do it before you start it and it has sat overnight. That is way I prep the night before then change the trans then after I have warm it up and checked it then I change the motor oil.

OldFaurt
02-16-2014, 10:37 AM
will if you change the filter or just the fluid you get alittle more out if you do it before you start it and it has sat overnight. That is way I prep the night before then change the trans then after I have warm it up and checked it then I change the motor oil.

With that in mind, Do you (or anyone else) know what it takes to fill the AW4 after a rebuild? It just seems like over 6 quarts removed after a warm up is a lot!

So now I am bending the pasenger side Bumper mount back into "reasonable" shape!
Wife told me I would get :yack: if I spent much more time laying/sitting on the cold concrete under my Jeep...
Should I tell her about the slight fever and headache?
Ah hell no!
She'll take away my toys!

gary63
02-16-2014, 02:29 PM
16.5 pt. or 7.8 liters

OldFaurt
02-16-2014, 03:12 PM
16.5 pt. or 7.8 liters
Thank you! I had the pan off quite a while so it got a real good drain!
Of course with the color of the fluid, It really needed it!

gary63
02-16-2014, 05:44 PM
This is from a bulletin Mopar ATF+4(R) has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4(R) is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change.

OldFaurt
02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
This is from a bulletin Mopar ATF+4(R) has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4(R) is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change.

I have found a number of articles that say ATF-4 is not actually the fluid best suited for the AW4. Especially the earlier units through say 1996.
Many say the Dexron-III/Mercon is what the transmission is designed to use, by the manufacture Aisin-Warner. My fluid smelled like regular fluid, with no acrid or smoke hints. It was the 1" - 1.5" above the full line that lead me to change the filter and fluid. Mind you I have only had the vehicle for a month or so and put some 1,500 miles on, it ran well, though shifts were soft and lockup was rather lack luster. It is better now.