PDA

View Full Version : Ticking, Overheating, and Milkshakes...

TimJ408
10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey, it's me Tim, the unactive active member. Before I get my problem, let me give you some quick and always fun info - I have a 2001 Cherokee. 4.0, Auto, 5" lift, 31" or 33" tires, and just hit 100,000 miles...

So, I just added another 2" of lift to my jeep, replaced the tracbar, shocks, SS brake lines, and still have finished. I was feeling invisible with my "new" jeep and my newly acquired 33" tires (that are sick by the way). Cars move out of the way, friends call me crazy (and quit coming up with wise things to say when I say I'll run right over the top of their cars, lol). But not all is well, my jeep has been running at 210-215, then one day the check gauges light and sound thing come on for the first time ever! It read 250 (not the max number it reads to). I pull over and without shutting it off it goes back down. (I should mention that it jumped up, not climbed up, if that matters) So I pull back onto the road and got home, didn't happen again. Couple days later I am doing 55 at 215 degrees when I hit a bumb going uphill and it jumps to 250. Light and stuff comes on, I figure I'm getting false readings or something, what do I know. And sure enough it goes back down and I continue on for a few days. Now this sunday I'm coming back home and it does it again, but then goes from 250 to 260/max... Now i'm scared. I keep going hoping it will go away, but it doesn't. Still going, still high, now i'm loosing oil pressure and power. I pull over and what do you know, I sure wasn't getting a false reading... Skipping the details. I drove the next 2 miles home after waiting for it to sit and cool. It took an extra stop though because I overheated after 1 mile. Now its in the drive way, and I doubt I can drive it anywhere, and I'd like to know where to start.
Let me add a few notes:
-It consumes coolant
-Never has coolant in the res, just 1/2" of water
-Lots of water from the exhaust in the morning, I don't know what's normal
-Extremely dirty radiator and cap with dark green crusies (not metal)
-I have the milkshake on the radiator cap and oil fill cap, not dipstick

Please read everything, and know that I very much apprieciate any thoughts or advice. I'm 18, lack experience, but am mechanically incline. All of the information that I have learned is from researching and studing. I live with a ex-roofer, not a mechanic, but can answer what ever question you would like to try and get to the bottom of this. I will get a cell pic I took of my radiator cap, so you can identify the crap in it.

Thank you very much! -Tim Johnson [email protected]

Mudderoy
10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey, it's me Tim, the unactive active member. Before I get my problem, let me give you some quick and always fun info - I have a 2001 Cherokee. 4.0, Auto, 5" lift, 31" or 33" tires, and just hit 100,000 miles...

So, I just added another 2" of lift to my jeep, replaced the tracbar, shocks, SS brake lines, and still have finished. I was feeling invisible with my "new" jeep and my newly acquired 33" tires (that are sick by the way). Cars move out of the way, friends call me crazy (and quit coming up with wise things to say when I say I'll run right over the top of their cars, lol). But not all is well, my jeep has been running at 210-215, then one day the check gauges light and sound thing come on for the first time ever! It read 250 (not the max number it reads to). I pull over and without shutting it off it goes back down. (I should mention that it jumped up, not climbed up, if that matters) So I pull back onto the road and got home, didn't happen again. Couple days later I am doing 55 at 215 degrees when I hit a bumb going uphill and it jumps to 250. Light and stuff comes on, I figure I'm getting false readings or something, what do I know. And sure enough it goes back down and I continue on for a few days. Now this sunday I'm coming back home and it does it again, but then goes from 250 to 260/max... Now i'm scared. I keep going hoping it will go away, but it doesn't. Still going, still high, now i'm loosing oil pressure and power. I pull over and what do you know, I sure wasn't getting a false reading... Skipping the details. I drove the next 2 miles home after waiting for it to sit and cool. It took an extra stop though because I overheated after 1 mile. Now its in the drive way, and I doubt I can drive it anywhere, and I'd like to know where to start.
Let me add a few notes:
-It consumes coolant
-Never has coolant in the res, just 1/2" of water
-Lots of water from the exhaust in the morning, I don't know what's normal
-Extremely dirty radiator and cap with dark green crusies (not metal)
-I have the milkshake on the radiator cap and oil fill cap, not dipstick

Please read everything, and know that I very much apprieciate any thoughts or advice. I'm 18, lack experience, but am mechanically incline. All of the information that I have learned is from researching and studing. I live with a ex-roofer, not a mechanic, but can answer what ever question you would like to try and get to the bottom of this. I will get a cell pic I took of my radiator cap, so you can identify the crap in it.

Thank you very much! -Tim Johnson [email protected]

I'll let other chime in but the 2000 and 2001 are known to have an issue with the head. They crack. Oil and water are in the head (separate places in the head). A crack will let them mix. Sounds like you have oil in your coolant and coolant in your oil. If you cannot do it yourself, you are looking at $500 for a new head, valves, etc... and another $500 to have it installed.

Oh and just because I say this is the problem doesn't mean I am right. Just my opinion based on what you have said is the symptoms.

TXstiGUY
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Like Mud said I too have heard of the bad head [no jokes please] if it has the #0331 cast number they are prone to cracking. Is that you problem maybe if the oils milky more then likely. this stuff is easier to diagnose in person but hopefully we can point you in the right direction. NEXT :D

BlueXJ
10-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Most of the symptoms you describe can be answered by a cracked head and mixing of fluids in the head.

TimJ408
10-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks everyone. I have come to a conclusion... It's a cracked head, I'm sure of it. I really don't know where I can find the cast number (because I haven't looked or researched it yet), but I know I am going to be replacing it, preferably a different one.
Here's a pic of the radiator cap:
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/TimJ408/1005090701a.jpg

The same stuff is on the oil fill cap on the valve cover. However, its no where to be found on the dipstick (thats good). I'm going to look into what it takes to do what has to be done. Like everyone else, I'm not made out of money, I would like to do it myself if possible (I would like to if I could, although the parents say otherwise...).

Feel free to leave helpful links, anything is apprieciated! Oh, and here's a pic of my "new" jeep after the extra 2" and "new" 33s:
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/TimJ408/0929091351a.jpg

Thanks again everyone! -Tim

Mudderoy
10-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I have come to a conclusion... It's a cracked head, I'm sure of it. I really don't know where I can find the cast number (because I haven't looked or researched it yet), but I know I am going to be replacing it, preferably a different one.
Here's a pic of the radiator cap:
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/TimJ408/1005090701a.jpg

The same stuff is on the oil fill cap on the valve cover. However, its no where to be found on the dipstick (thats good). I'm going to look into what it takes to do what has to be done. Like everyone else, I'm not made out of money, I would like to do it myself if possible (I would like to if I could, although the parents say otherwise...).

Feel free to leave helpful links, anything is apprieciated! Oh, and here's a pic of my "new" jeep after the extra 2" and "new" 33s:
http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/TimJ408/0929091351a.jpg

Thanks again everyone! -Tim

The absolute rat's a$$ cheapest way I can think of is to buy a head off a running engine. Get it from a 1999, or 1998 so you don't have to worry about (as much) the head cracking. Get a new gasket and put it on, torque it down properly. If you are lucky everything will work and worse case is you have to take the head to the shop and have it gone over. Other than your time the cost would be the head gasket.

Hey guys, I have never adjusted the rockers on anything but a 283, 327 and 350. What do you do with the 4.0L head?

TXstiGUY
10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Its the same TDC torque it down