PDA

View Full Version : XJ Noob

2000XJLimited
02-08-2014, 01:42 PM
I recently bought my first XJ, 2000 limited and need some ideas. It has a 3 inch lift that was supposedly installed at a Chrysler Dealership. It has 31's on it right now. I am going to be using it as a daily driver and a weekend warrior. Is 3" of lift enough to have some fun? I also wold like to put some lockers on it but don't know if it is a good idea with stock axels. Any suggestions would be appreciated

bluedragon436
02-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Depending on what kind of fun you are looking to have, I think you can do just fine with 3" of lift.. all else fails you could always look to throw in some coil spacers and adj. shackles and pick up more height out of it if you want it... Welcome to :xjtalk: and Jeepin!!

Brasscatz
02-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Of course you can have fun! I've been wheeling on 3" of lift for a while and it does just fine. Lockers won't hurt your stock axles, what axles do you have?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

2000XJLimited
02-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Dana 30 in the front, 35 in the rear

bluedragon436
02-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Pick you up a 29 spline 8.25 in your local PNP, or a HP D30 if you don't already have one in your XJ.. Then you should have no issues with locking your axles and having a pretty decent deal to start off with!!

gary63
02-08-2014, 02:27 PM
pick up the 8.25 on the 2000 the hp30 will crush the header you need a 5in lift to keep from crushing it or some big bump stops.

4.3LXJ
02-08-2014, 03:20 PM
I wheeled for years with 3" and 31s. You just can't do the extreme stuff. I currently have a locked D35 that I wheel in rocks. You just need to wheel with a mature attitude

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OldFaurt
02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
WELCOME!
I have a 92 XJ with stock D30 in front and a destroyed D35 Just holding the rear of the jeep up so I can get to work. Your 3" lift with 31" tires will work just fine for most weekend wheeling. Sometimes we learn by seeing what we can bust off on a trail! Sometimes we just go exploring... either way you will have fun. The good news is most Pick n Pulls are good sources for spare parts & usually quite reasonable.
The folks on this site are very knowledgeable & have many centuries of experience.

sbspence
02-09-2014, 10:38 PM
pick up the 8.25 on the 2000 the hp30 will crush the header you need a 5in lift to keep from crushing it or some big bump stops.

So...I just put a 3" lift on my 01 and it has lp30 I'm sure. What you're saying is I should keep it or go to 5" to wheel it at all? Man there are SO many variables to learn on these rigs that I'm beginning to think I should've stayed stock. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
02-09-2014, 10:45 PM
I recently bought my first XJ, 2000 limited and need some ideas. It has a 3 inch lift that was supposedly installed at a Chrysler Dealership. It has 31's on it right now. I am going to be using it as a daily driver and a weekend warrior. Is 3" of lift enough to have some fun? I also wold like to put some lockers on it but don't know if it is a good idea with stock axels. Any suggestions would be appreciated

People wheel Cherokees stock. Lift height is about max tire diameter and that in turn determines how high the diffs are from the ground.

Basically it means the higher you go the larger the tires and the more distance between the lowest point of your Jeep and the ground.

31's just mean you a little closer to the ground and you'll have trouble clearing some things that another Jeep with larger tires could. Of course you could just pick another line and probably get over it.

XJ Wheeler
02-09-2014, 10:57 PM
So...I just put a 3" lift on my 01 and it has lp30 I'm sure. What you're saying is I should keep it or go to 5" to wheel it at all? Man there are SO many variables to learn on these rigs that I'm beginning to think I should've stayed stock. Yikes!

What he's talking about is swapping in a high pinion front axle, which isn't necessary for 3" lift. Your axles may not be the best but will handle 31s fine as long as you aren't jumping it or rock bouncing. :D 3" lift is a good height with 31s especially if you are new to offroading and will afford you better capability without breaking the bank.

sbspence
02-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Aha. I gotcha now! ;) just a little dense this evening with a head cold. Yeah that's it we will blame it on the head cold! Not to mention the NyQuil original formula kicking in. Zzzzz

XJ Wheeler
02-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Aha. I gotcha now! ;) just a little dense this evening with a head cold. Yeah that's it we will blame it on the head cold! Not to mention the NyQuil original formula kicking in. Zzzzz

Lol, i'd go with the Nyquil excuse... that stuff is strong on me! :rolleye0012: :p

JeepFreak
02-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Are you kidding? You don't need to have a lift to have some fun! Jeeps are already raised enough to go through some decent snow/mud/rain puddles. Just watch the commercials :D My Jeep is stock lift (about 8"-12" off the ground measuring from road surface to undercarriage) and I can wrestle with some big boy wheeling. Just not recommended for EVA such as rock climbing.

jimmixj
02-10-2014, 01:43 AM
This is my friend Matt's 89 XJ Sport; NO lift on street tires! He paid $800 for it, put in a new fuel pump and he goes everywhere in it, (which kind of makes me wonder why I spent all that money on lift):bang::D

EekGirl96
02-10-2014, 07:57 AM
I wheeled my XJ when she had 33's and a 3.5" lift and she did good,....shit I even had a locker in the front lol

(I did chop my fenders off and I did rub at times but she did good)

anything is possible

gary63
02-10-2014, 09:17 PM

no what I'm saying is the lp 30 is ok for now if you get a hp3o the 2000 and 2001 have a diffrend exoust header that hang down alittle lower that is why they put the lp30 in it. so save some money for now.go wheeling with some friends and see how it work for you and see how you like it the way it is first.

sbspence
02-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah I got my head wrapped around that later after I replied thanks. In beginning to see why the last two years aren't highly coveted. 0.0 oh well I'm stuck with her now and don't plan on going any higher just tweaking what I have and doing light trails while keeping it as civil as possible for the road. I have to travel quite a distance to find almost any kind of trails! The closest organized trail set up is in Attica, In which is about 2 hours drive.

I'm looking for more of an Overland type rig anyway so. ... I had a heavy duty steering stabilizer and a 1" tfer case drop and cured my decel vibes. Now I just have to iron out my steering woes, and a nasty oil leak.