PDA

View Full Version : need help fast need to get on the road.

alwaysxj
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
so i went to get alignment on my jeep so that i can get it on the road. i just swaped in a new front axle out of a 99 in to my 88 and the tire shop calls me and says that they cannot do a alignment on it because the front wheels will not spin.

so i took it home and took the wheels of and it spun just fine. but then i took a closer look at it. for some resone when i put the rim on and tightin it all down it pushes my rotors in to the bottom of my nuckles. when i drove it to the tire shop my brakes where smoking like crazy so i thought but it was my rotors rubbing and just smoking.

now i thought it was mu rims or something so i tryed a stock rim of off the jeep and it did the same think.

now the question is do you think this is the rims? they need a different back spacing or something. (i don't know the spacing on my rims now)

or could it be a worped rotor or something? i just don't under stand why it pushes it so far back when it is tight and it is only rubbing on the bottom plenty of room on the top.

so what do you guys think? i need to get this fixed fast i need to go and wheel it has been way to long.

Ink
10-05-2009, 12:01 PM
What rotors did you use? 88 and 99 may have different offsets on the rotors. Is the wheel bearings or ball joints loose?

alwaysxj
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
no i checked everything and it is not lose. and the rotors are off of the 99 they came with the axle.

Ink
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
What calipers did you use maybe the caliper is holding the top of the rotor out which could cause the bottom of the rotor to push inwards. Just trying to think of reasons this would be happening.

alwaysxj
10-05-2009, 12:30 PM
What calipers did you use maybe the caliper is holding the top of the rotor out which could cause the bottom of the rotor to push inwards. Just trying to think of reasons this would be happening.

i used everything from the 99. they did not rub on the 99 but they do on my 88.

MrJCRod
10-05-2009, 07:39 PM
kind of a weird problem... doesn't make sense... where did you get the 99 front axle from... the rims should not cause it. Try putting 3 lug nuts on without the rim and tighten them down, then see if it still rubs. I can't imagine how a rim can do it so I would expect it to still rub... Does it do it on both sides? If they do then try another set of rotors. If they look like they are going to rub you can still return them but at least you can rule out wrong rotors also... Good luck...

Mudderoy
10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
kind of a weird problem... doesn't make sense... where did you get the 99 front axle from... the rims should not cause it. Try putting 3 lug nuts on without the rim and tighten them down, then see if it still rubs. I can't imagine how a rim can do it so I would expect it to still rub... Does it do it on both sides? If they do then try another set of rotors. If they look like they are going to rub you can still return them but at least you can rule out wrong rotors also... Good luck...

I agree, I can't picture it. Hey! There's an idea! How about a few pictures!?!?

4.3LXJ
10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
There was a brake upgrade in 91. I am thinking there were later upgrades. Use a rim off the 99 and see if it works. If it does, change rims.

BlueXJ
10-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Many parts from the different years will interchange. Try the old 88 brakes on the new 99 front end. See if the hats will interchange. That may make the difference if you retained the 88 steering components.

alwaysxj
10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
:camera:
I agree, I can't picture it. Hey! There's an idea! How about a few pictures!?!?

i would love to but i don't have a camera right now it broke and i have not got a new one. :camera::smiley-bounce015::smiley-bounce015::smiley-bounce015:

alwaysxj
10-07-2009, 10:18 AM
got it fixed. went and got new rotors and it still did not fix the problem they did the same thing. so what i did was get a piece of plate and make a spacer to push the rotors out a little bit and now they don't rub. thanks for all the info everyone.