PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE!!!! 00 xj noises

bscg2000
02-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Hello everyone, I have a 2000 xj limited with the 4.0 in it. 151,000 miles on it. It makes a weird noise only if you get on it kinda hard between 1200 and 2500 rpms. It sounds like something is loose but I cant find anything loose anywhere. It almost sounds like its coming from the front of the motor. If im being really gentle with it then it doesnt make the noise at all that I can hear of. I know the fan is not hitting anything. There is no fan shroud on it. Long story short it broke and I havent picked up a new one yet. The motor mounts are fine too if that helps. Also, there is one other noise that comes up every now and again that sounds like a heat shield is rattling around on the drivers side lower half of the motor only if I am sitting still and go to back up or pull forward a little bit and barely give it any throttle at all. But again, cant find anything loose. No idea whats going on here. ANY input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Brasscatz
02-06-2014, 09:08 PM
It sounds like it could be your flex plate. What kind of noise? Is it metallic? Clink, clunk, thump, rattle?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

bscg2000
02-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Both noises are rattles. No clinks or bangs or clumps thumps or nothing thank goodness. On a very right budget lol

XjWoofy801
02-07-2014, 12:22 AM
for the front engine noise have you taken your belt off and checked all your pulleys, sometimes the idler pulley can go out or the water pump pulley and you wouldn't know until they are about ready to come off. also check the harmonic balancer i had to replace my boyfriends cuz we noticed a slight rattle when steppn on the gas hard and when we got together and he stepped on the gas when in park of course; i looked in the engine bay and noticed a really good wobble to it and when we took it off sure enough the bearing was about to explode*Rut RO*. but thank goodness for a good eye and second opinion we save are jeep from disaster.

bscg2000
02-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Never thought about the pulleys. I'll have to check them next time I have a day off. Really hope it's something that simple.

jimmixj
02-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Had same issue Brandon, and same solution, come up on a friend's 96 XJ; would rattle under acceleration and had a belt that was "walking" on the fan drive pulley. Replaced the HB, all's good now. Fairly easy to see; the balancing weight (outer ring) should be parallel with the hub (center piece) when looking at it from above. We got a new one for $45 at local auto parts store!

bscg2000
02-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Haven't checked anything yet but basically it's either play in the pulleys or the job or flex plate? I believe I'll start with taking the belt off and checking the pulleys first. I have replaced pulleys before but on a ford 390. Not too bad I don't think on the 4.0. How much of a pain is it to change the harmonic balancer and flex plate?

4.3LXJ
02-07-2014, 06:03 PM
HB is not bad. Might need.to pull the radiator though. Gonna have to pull the tranny to change the flex plate

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

bscg2000
02-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Ah ok. Thanks everyone for the info! Just need a day off or to get off early. Not a good time to take off of work being a tree guy in md. Too much going on

XjWoofy801
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
when or if you need to pull off the HB you wont need to pull the radiator i don't think at least i didn't have to when i did mine. you can rent a tool at the auto parts store that will help you get it off its a bit tedious but well worth the bleedn knuckles. if you have trouble i could make a vid for you on how to do it.

bscg2000
02-07-2014, 06:59 PM
That would be awesome. I'll see if I can pull the belt and check the pulleys tomorrow after work and go from there. Thank you

XjWoofy801
02-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Anytime bscg2000
We are here to help

bscg2000
02-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Ok I'm in need of the video for the hb xjwoofy901. Pulleys all seem fine.

cantab27
02-08-2014, 12:20 PM
give ya exhaust a good shake ...cat or muffler can rust up inside and make a rattle ..

bscg2000
02-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Already did that cantab27. That was my first thought. Exhaust is fine. Thanks for the tip though. All the pulleys seem fine as well.

XjWoofy801
02-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Ok bscg2000 all make one as soon as the weather lets up a lil. If you need it asap I will hunt one down for you. Just let me know

bscg2000
02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
I appreciate it so much. The sooner I can get it, the better but I dont want to inconvenience anybody though either. How long do you think it would be safe to keep running it the way it is? Or would you recommend leaving it parked until fixed?

JeepFreak
02-09-2014, 05:25 PM
An easier (albeit a more 'damaging' way potentially) is to just let the belts run in park with the engine bay hood open. If a pulley isn't spinning, you'll see it right away. It can be a bit damaging to the pulley or belt if that is the problem but if not, it saves you a bit of time having to take the belt off just to realize everything is fine. User preference though.

bscg2000
02-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Thank you jeep freak. Will keep that in mind.

4.3LXJ
02-09-2014, 05:40 PM
We might be making mountains out of mole hills. I don'think this is too serious. If it was me, I would start it and gun it a few times with the hood open and move around and at least get an idea where the noise originates. I find my own noises that way. If nothing else it gives you a place to start

bscg2000
02-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Thank you. I tried that but couldn't hear where exactly it was coming from. Tried to narrow it down and couldn't quite figure it out

bscg2000
02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
It only makes the noise going down the road if that helps.

4.3LXJ
02-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I think it ia most likely a crack in the exhaust manifold. They all do it sooner or later. That is not serious, but can affect your mileage or mak e you not pass smog if it is big enough.

bscg2000
02-09-2014, 06:48 PM
That may be the case. Just went through emissions in July of 13 without a problem. Wasn't making the noise though either though at that time. And yeah my fuel mileage has dropped as well real recently

4.3LXJ
02-09-2014, 07:25 PM
The two things that cause that are.the cracked manifold and worn out O2 sensor

bscg2000
02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Well hopefully it is just the manifold. That ain't that bad. Just gotta get it to seal back up right without any leaks. Never messed with any sensors before

4.3LXJ
02-09-2014, 07:42 PM
O2 sensors are easy. Warm up the pipe, unplug it and unscrew it.

bscg2000
02-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Alright cool. As far as the manifold goes, if I need to replace it, what would you recommend that would last the longest?

nateyz2000
02-09-2014, 09:39 PM
for the front engine noise have you taken your belt off and checked all your pulleys, sometimes the idler pulley can go out or the water pump pulley and you wouldn't know until they are about ready to come off. also check the harmonic balancer i had to replace my boyfriends cuz we noticed a slight rattle when steppn on the gas hard and when we got together and he stepped on the gas when in park of course; i looked in the engine bay and noticed a really good wobble to it and when we took it off sure enough the bearing was about to explode*Rut RO*. but thank goodness for a good eye and second opinion we save are jeep from disaster.

You replaced your boyfriends... That's awesome... Had a hard time reading after that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

XjWoofy801
02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Ya i have done alot on my boyfriends jeep he says since i have more mechanical know how that i should be the one to mess with it, the only time he does stuff is if he reads about it on forms and thinks its in his range of know how then he will do it by himself; but more often than not i'm right there doing the work and he helps when i need an extra Manly yank on something.

JeepFreak
02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Red (my red PMSing Jeep) makes a nice, loud sound cause she has a hole in her exhaust....when she's actually operable. Right now she's nice and quiet (although still a royal PMSing -insert expletive here-) sitting in the driveway. I've been trying to get the last few things done but this rain isn't letting up enough to allow me to do the work.

bscg2000
02-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Ya i have done alot on my boyfriends jeep he says since i have more mechanical know how that i should be the one to mess with it, the only time he does stuff is if he reads about it on forms and thinks its in his range of know how then he will do it by himself; but more often than not i'm right there doing the work and he helps when i need an extra Manly yank on something.

Hey I think it is awesome that you are a women who can actually work on stuff and know what you're doing. I'll respect just about anyone who knows more than I do and is willing to give me useful information or advice that's going to help me out

bscg2000
02-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Yeah I know the feeling jeepfreak. I had a 1990 f250 that would give me at least one issue every week and the truck was tore apart more than it was drivable. I finally sold it and wet and bought my xj. Best thing I have ever done lol

bscg2000
02-23-2014, 08:18 PM
The noise only occurs when the jeep is in gear going down the road. It does not make the noise while in park and revving it up.

JeepFreak
02-23-2014, 08:27 PM
That's because certain parts move when the car is parked and certain ones do not. The differentials, axles, driveshaft, U-joints, wheels, tires, transmission, transfer case, linkages, steering, brakes, etc all move AFTER the car is brought into gear with certain exceptions for the transmission and TC. You may need to get a small recorder and mount it to your undercarriage when you're driving so that it picks up the noise and you can kinda figure where the sound is coming from. Two or more is best for sound displacement (how far away it sounds in the mic) and make sure you place them on the exact opposite sides from one another and label where they were so you can narrow it down to a small area. Be sure to wrap a piece of cotton around the mic as a windbreak as well or else all you'll hear is "ksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" with minor sounds in the background. It's what I do when I have a sound I can't pinpoint.

bscg2000
03-04-2014, 05:26 PM
All I know is it only makes the noise when in gear and while giving it gas. It sounds like a heat shield Is loose but I don't have any heat shields. The noise sounds like its cing from somewhere between the back of the motor and the firewall but I can't figure it out. Everything seems to be tight. I don't understand it at all and am getting nowhere with it which really sucks because I don't want to keep running it like this but don't have much of a choice since it's my dd

4.3LXJ
03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Have you checked the bolts on your torque converter?

JeepFreak
03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Have you checked the bolts on your torque converter?

YES the torque converter!!! I almost forgot about that. My TC went out and was so loose that it made a clanging sound when I drove it and it got faster as I sped up. I ended up having to shell out $700 for it because I had a 6 inch crack along the flex plate and flywheel that literally went THROUGH the plate and wheel. It can be very destructive so make sure you get it looked at ASAP. If you want to be somewhat sure take a broom handle and place one end on the front of your tranny and the other to your ear as it's running and see if the clanging is way louder when you are listening. Move it around like a doctor does with a stethoscope until you find where the loud noise is coming from.

bscg2000
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks to both of you. I use a screw driver for that though (not as awkward). Found out what the noise is. Had it looked at by a mechanic who is a really close family friend who I actually trust to work on my stuff. It is a bad u joint at the t case and drive shaft end. I knew my u joints were going out but didn't think they were that bad yet. No more noise :)

bscg2000
03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Oh and I'm getting ready to go up another inch and a half so I'll be sitting at a 4.5 inch lift. In search of a t case drop kit. Any recommendations?

bscg2000
03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
And a sye kit too