PDA

View Full Version : need some expert opinions on throttle body spacers

graverobberjk
02-06-2014, 12:03 PM
so its my jeeps 1 year birthday this month and with what I have been saving and a little help from my tax return im doing a lot of work on her this month...I ordered my AFE intake today and its recomending a throttle body spacer, now I dont know too much about these and I dont want to rely on the internet trying to hock this brand over that for my info. So im wondering what all you more experienced jeepers oppinion is before I make any decisions.

XjJeepacorn
02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Oh boy! Many will tell you they don't work but on a 300km drive I saved 1/4 of a tank of gas. I can't tell you about horse power or torque gains because I've never actually tested it, but what I can tell you is I did gain 1/4 of a tank on a 300 km drive. That coming from someone who has actually ran it on their rig... And I still do! I expect allot of criticism for this post!

graverobberjk
02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Oh boy! Many will tell you they don't work but on a 300km drive I saved 1/4 of a tank of gas. I can't tell you about horse power or torque gains because I've never actually tested it, but what I can tell you is I did gain 1/4 of a tank on a 300 km drive. That coming from someone who has actually ran it on their rig... And I still do! I expect allot of criticism for this post!

I appreciate the imput and really thats what im looking for... I did a intake, exhaust and tuner combo on my last jeep and I went from 11.5 highway to 27ish and that was with a 4"lift and 35s on stock 3.73 gears. less money spent on gas is more money spent on my rig.

XjJeepacorn
02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Yep, the throttle body spacer was the first mod I did to try and get a little more economy. People had criticized me in the past saying well the mileage gains must have been from something else I modified! But no that was the first because it was the cheapest to try and I figured for a whopping $60 bucks if it didn't work no biggie and I could just return it lol

prerunner1982
02-06-2014, 12:41 PM
It only gives the air farther to go.....

Originally the Carb/TB spacer was meant to give a little extra room for the air/fuel mixture to atomize. However when you remove the fuel from the equation because on the Jeep 4.0 it is injected directly into the cylinder not into the Throttle body, it's just further for the air to go. If that 1" spacer works then a long snorkel to the top of your rig should give great results. ;):D

xj4life2
02-06-2014, 12:50 PM
The reason the cold air intake is asking for a spacer is two fold 1st it allows the air to swirl more and pick up more velocity thus giving it the "ram" air effect so to speak. Creating more HP with less fuel. 2nd they make them also

However we must always keep in mind that the computer will hold it to a perfect 14.7 to 1 ratio

ArmyGuy45
02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
I got an extra 1 mpg out of mine. Though, to be fair, I also installed a aftermarket air filter at the same time.

graverobberjk
02-06-2014, 01:41 PM
The reason the cold air intake is asking for a spacer is two fold 1st it allows the air to swirl more and pick up more velocity thus giving it the "ram" air effect so to speak. Creating more HP with less fuel. 2nd they make them also

However we must always keep in mind that the computer will hold it to a perfect 14.7 to 1 ratio

so even if the air increases in velocity the computer will counteract it to maintain that perfect ratio, thus making the spacer useless...am I understanding that correctly? because I have some friends pushing the helix power tower idea and others are saying go with the throttle bodys spacer...but if I understand you right, they are both a waste of money

xj4life2
02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
I didn't say that exactly , they will improve horsepower by atomizing more air quicker with the fuel, and more effectively. The more effective it is the better the burn and the better the gas mileage. What I meant by the computer controlling it was that you can only do so much to make it a more effective mix and a better burn. If they made one for the v10 I'd try it , I already have the K&N cold air intake. The Helix power tower puts a mean spin on the air

cantab27
02-06-2014, 06:33 PM
its a jeep ..nothing helps re mpg.........had one one the xj didn't notice any change...

Pookapotamus
02-06-2014, 06:48 PM
No matter what you do to the throttle body, the biggest problem in the intake system is the early model intake, sharp bends and limited space are just not good, the later model intake (2001 and up? Might be wrong on the date) has much smoother bends, and an extra 2.6 liters of air space. The throttle body spacer only offers 1/6 th of a liter air space, but hey for $60 give it a try! If you do, try to record your fuel milage as accurate as possible (I recommend the "kilo fuel" app) to really judge if it had made a difference, you will also have to keep track for a long period of time as judging by taking 2 trips to the same destination can have many different variables.

Whatever you do have fun and post your findings. And remember it's a jeep! Gas is cheap, milk is expensive!

graverobberjk
02-06-2014, 09:05 PM
I didn't say that exactly , they will improve horsepower by atomizing more air quicker with the fuel, and more effectively. The more effective it is the better the burn and the better the gas mileage. What I meant by the computer controlling it was that you can only do so much to make it a more effective mix and a better burn. If they made one for the v10 I'd try it , I already have the K&N cold air intake. The Helix power tower puts a mean spin on the air

Now when you say a mean spin is that in a good way or bad?

graverobberjk
02-06-2014, 09:12 PM
No matter what you do to the throttle body, the biggest problem in the intake system is the early model intake, sharp bends and limited space are just not good, the later model intake (2001 and up? Might be wrong on the date) has much smoother bends, and an extra 2.6 liters of air space. The throttle body spacer only offers 1/6 th of a liter air space, but hey for $60 give it a try! If you do, try to record your fuel milage as accurate as possible (I recommend the "kilo fuel" app) to really judge if it had made a difference, you will also have to keep track for a long period of time as judging by taking 2 trips to the same destination can have many different variables.

Whatever you do have fun and post your findings. And remember it's a jeep! Gas is cheap, milk is expensive!

I have a 2013 JKU and I'm installing a AFe stage 2 intake tomorrow...and keeping track of mileage is easy... she does it for me :) lol ....Thank you

Pookapotamus
02-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I have a 2013 JKU and I'm installing a AFe stage 2 intake tomorrow...and keeping track of mileage is easy... she does it for me :) lol ....Thank you

Can I have some salt with my foot! If I would have read your first post closer I would have caught that! I'll go back to my cage now! 😞

graverobberjk
02-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Can I have some salt with my foot! If I would have read your first post closer I would have caught that! I'll go back to my cage now! 😞

No worries at all I appreciate any kind of advice... even if it's on older rigs and XJs. ... even though mine is kinda high tech I suppose it's always good to know how to do it old school just incase lol