PDA

View Full Version : Finding a DANA 35 with 3.55 and sloppy steering!

OldFaurt
02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I need to replace my DANA 35 Guts with a 3.55:1 ring/pinion set so I can get to work. Yes Front wheel drive is working but Gas mileage is atrocious!
I went through the steering, set the toe-in a little further out so under power I don't pull it in to too much toe-in.

Grabbed the steering wheel and gee... That is a LOT of play!
So I pulled the electric fan, took my trusty (Rusty) 5/8 end wrench and a 3/16 Allen wrench, loosened the nut on the top of the steering box and gave the Allen a 1/8 turn (Clock wise) then locked it down by tightening the Nut.
Took her for a ride, still loose! Did another 1/8th turn clock wise, better this time but still a bit loose so, gave it another 1/8th turn. This time the steering was a little tight would stay where I left it and did not return to center (Neutral).
So I gave it a 1/16th turn counter clock wise and locked it down. Now it has about a 1/2" of play measured at the top of the steering wheel. Very nice road feel, returns to neutral on it's own!
If you would like picture or a video, Ask!

Remember,
When working on Brakes and Steering, always double check your work,
Make sure all fasteners are tight, clamps installed, etc...
make sure you have all your tools accounted for & in the tool box before test ride.
Check your work again a day or so later!

Your safety and that of your family, is YOUR responsibility!

Any one with a Dana 35 with a 3.55:1 ratio, in reasonable condition for sale in the Houston area?
Yes, I would prefer a Chrysler 8.25, but they seem a lot harder to find here.

bigjim350
02-04-2014, 08:33 PM
The pull your part junkyards in houston will have plenty of turdy5's and 8.25. And if its a 4.0 auto it will be 3.55

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

OldFaurt
02-04-2014, 08:51 PM
The pull your part junkyards in houston will have plenty of turdy5's and 8.25. And if its a 4.0 auto it will be 3.55

Right now even a Turdy5 beats eating up my front end!
I have a 125 mile commute round trip,Yes, I have a 4.0L Auto, will give them a call tomorrow and see about going in on Saturday to pull one!
Could use a slip yoke too, the one I have is trashed. Planning on doing a SYE but right now drivable is the soup of the day! Finding a good Chrysler 8.25 with a drive shaft would make my day!

Thanks for the info!

Hopkins
02-04-2014, 09:34 PM
What does tightening or loosening the Allen wrench do? What are you adjusting within the steering? I am a noob so go slow haha. I do wanna learn tho!

Firemanray
02-04-2014, 09:43 PM
He's referring to the adjustment on the steering box opposite end of the pitman arm shaft. The allen screw with lock nut provides a way to "tighten" the looseness in the steering box. the red arrow in the picture below shows the location.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/firemanray21/414164d1231618252-how-does-jeep-cj-power-steering-box-work-psc004-small-_zps1e69e9b9.jpg (http://s223.photobucket.com/user/firemanray21/media/414164d1231618252-how-does-jeep-cj-power-steering-box-work-psc004-small-_zps1e69e9b9.jpg.html)

OldFaurt
02-04-2014, 10:26 PM
What does tightening or loosening the Allen wrench do? What are you adjusting within the steering? I am a noob so go slow haha. I do wanna learn tho!

It adjusts the position of one gear, from the Steering wheel, and the other gear attached to the pitman arm that moves your wheels back and forth. When you loosen it, it makes more play between the 2 gears, when you tighten it, it removes play between them as the one that is attached to the allen screw is thicker at one end.

That said,
If you have noticeable play in your steering wheel, turning the allen screw in. Clock wise causes the thicker part of the 1 gear to move closer to the other gear.
Now, a word of caution...
This should be done in small doses as you can destroy your steering box by tightening it too much all at once as there is little to no pressure change felt on the screw while adjusting!

So, use the allen wrench as a guide and only turn it an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn then lock the nut while holding the allen still!

Start the Jeep and turn the steering wheel side to side and see if there is less play. if there is still too much, go another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. so on and so on.
Once the play goes mostly away, the steering should still return to center when driving, ie, you turn a little let go the steering wheel returns to straight! If it does not, back the allen screw off a bit until it does.

I find 1/2" side to side play at the top of the steering wheel without turning is about right!

Does that make sense?
If not, have a look at Bluehands Steering box adjustment explanation with open steering box

OldFaurt
02-04-2014, 10:35 PM

Nothing wrong with being a noob!
This is my first jeep in decades!
But common Auto mechanics follows.
I love wrenching on my vehicles as it is a skill that pays and helps you not get stranded!

When you know how it works,
you know how to keep it working!

And well, There is always that pride thing...

OldFaurt
02-04-2014, 10:38 PM
He's referring to the adjustment on the steering box opposite end of the pitman arm shaft. The allen screw with lock nut provides a way to "tighten" the looseness in the steering box. the red arrow in the picture below shows the location.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/firemanray21/414164d1231618252-how-does-jeep-cj-power-steering-box-work-psc004-small-_zps1e69e9b9.jpg (http://s223.photobucket.com/user/firemanray21/media/414164d1231618252-how-does-jeep-cj-power-steering-box-work-psc004-small-_zps1e69e9b9.jpg.html)

Ah another Black Jeep Guy!
Mine is painted all over with bedliner!
Makes it very distinctive! OK... ok, Yeah it's weird having a texture!

But hey, for $1200 It is a fun little toy!

Firemanray
02-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Ah another Black Jeep Guy!
Mine is painted all over with bedliner!
Makes it very distinctive! OK... ok, Yeah it's weird having a texture!

But hey, for $1200 It is a fun little toy!

Yeah, I'm a "red" jeep convert. My Xj was red until about a year ago.

bigjim350
02-05-2014, 02:55 AM
Right now even a Turdy5 beats eating up my front end!
I have a 125 mile commute round trip,Yes, I have a 4.0L Auto, will give them a call tomorrow and see about going in on Saturday to pull one!
Could use a slip yoke too, the one I have is trashed. Planning on doing a SYE but right now drivable is the soup of the day! Finding a good Chrysler 8.25 with a drive shaft would make my day!

Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking about going out to the junkyard in Houston on Friday. If I do, I'll look for what you need and let you know what I find.

OldFaurt
02-05-2014, 05:48 AM
I'm thinking about going out to the junkyard in Houston on Friday. If I do, I'll look for what you need and let you know what I find.

Thank you, that if very kind of you!

Have a great day!