PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat/water pump seals leaking

abebehrmann
02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
I've noticed a slight coolant leak from my thermostat housing and water pump (not leaking from weep hole). My coolant temp is fine but I was thinking if I were to replace the seals, I might as well replace the water pump and thermostat while I'm at it. Would you guys do the same? If so, are there any brands you guys would recommend or anything I should avoid? I was thinking about this one http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Water-Pump-Remfd/_/R-WP_58455_0267416767

Carves
02-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Have the parts on hand in case you need 'em ... Personally I would replace and keep the old as spares if still "servicable"

Might also want to consider a new thermostat housing as well - if the old one is leaking.

Its probably all corroded on the mating surface.

New gaskets and a smear of rtv on both sides well for me. Let the rtv set properly before filling up,

... as that damned eth-gly crap is slippery stuff and searches for escape points .. :D

cpttuna
02-03-2014, 06:30 PM
I would not purchase a remanufactured pump. I purchased the NAPA TFW 42004 for the 99 in our family.

Brasscatz
02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I got all my cooling system parts from rock auto. Another good one to check is 1a auto

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

XJ Wheeler
02-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Abe, a couple months ago i went through the decision process of choosing water pumps and looked at dozens. I ended up finally deciding on the Napa Tru-Flow pump. Its about $35 and has a lifetime warranty (which was important to me), plus some sources say the Napa pump is the same as the stealership sells just repackaged. How accurate that is, i don't know. But ultimately its made by Gates.

You can read some of my process here> http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15540

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

abebehrmann
02-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Thank you everyone for the advice, I really appreciate everyone's input. I will purchase a new thermostat, thermostat housing, and new (not re-manufactured) NAPA Tru-Flow waterpump.