PDA

View Full Version : Control arm question

Andrew XJ
02-02-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm about to put 2 more inches on my lift to bring it up to an even 5. at what point do I need new upper control arms.
for the lower control arms I'm getting drop brackets.
but what about the uppers?
I am on a 350 dollar budget to lift my XJ 2 more inches.
.................................................. .....
Things I already know I need.
lower control arms, or drop bracket.
possibly shims.
possibly transfer case drop until I can purchase my sye.
track bar or relocator.
2 inch poly urethane spacers for the front.
2 inch adjustable shackles for the rear.
.................................................. .................................................
Things that are already done.
longer brake lines.
shocks of the proper height.
.................................................. ....
the only reason I am deciding to lift more is because I do not have enough ground clearance for the local rocks.

SteveMongr
02-03-2014, 05:32 AM
The Drop Brackets lower the upper control arms and lowers. The brackets can be used with stock arms but it is not recommended.
Adding 2" shackles may change the pinion angle, good for a SYE, bad for stock shaft, even with TC drop.
At 5" lift the steering system will need to be replaced also. It acts as a limit strap to the suspension.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2014, 10:09 AM
You can use your current control arms with the drop brackets

Andrew XJ
02-03-2014, 12:10 PM
unfortunately I'm going to have to use lift blocks because I cannot unfasten the bolt that holds the shackle into the chassis or the bolt that holds the leaf spring into the shackle.

unless I can get my sawzall to cut through both of those bolts and if I do that, what size bolts hold the shackle into the chassis and the leaf spring into the shackle?

Andrew XJ
02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I also meant to ask if anyone knows where I can find a trac bar drop bracket or relocator

4.3LXJ
02-03-2014, 12:14 PM
unfortunately I'm going to have to use lift blocks because I cannot unfasten the bolt that holds the shackle into the chassis or the bolt that holds the leaf spring into the shackle.

unless I can get my sawzall to cut through both of those bolts and if I do that, what size bolts hold the shackle into the chassis and the leaf spring into the shackle?

What is your current lift in the rear?

Andrew XJ
02-03-2014, 12:17 PM
My lift kit is 3 inches but my rear end sits at 4 inches, 4.75 with the tires.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Yes, but I wanted to know if you are running an add a leaf or full spring packs or shackles etc

Andrew XJ
02-03-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm running an add a Leaf from rough country but my leaf packs where almost brand new when I bought the Jeep.
full coil springs up front no spacers.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2014, 12:23 PM
You can use a bastard pack to get that extra lift. If you are smart about it, you can do it without removing the main leaf. I did a pod cast on this a couple of weeks ago if you want to listen to it. But it is easy to do that way and saves a lot of work. You can fine tune it with extended shackles if you want

Andrew XJ
02-03-2014, 12:26 PM
what brand leaf packs would you recommend for a bastard pack? I actually built my passenger side least pack under the Jeep because I could not remove it which was a huge pain in the ass because I only had jack stands up go to 20 inches high it was very tight under there.

Also thanks for the help I really appreciate it I'd rather do it right the first time that have to go and fix a bunch of broken shit later.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Chevy S10 packs will give 3.5" with the bottom three leaves, 4.5" if you cut the eyes off the main and use it too.

SteveMongr
02-04-2014, 05:26 AM

I suggest using a pipe as a breaker bar and spay a penetrating lube on the threads. It can be a lot of trouble trying to cut them out.

Hopkins
02-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Skyjacker makes a track bar bracket for 4 inches of lift on the xj. I have it under my XJ. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Track-Bar-Relocation-Bracket.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=4303&t_pn=skyjtbf&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CLiThLfVsrwCFdGDQgodRnUAHA