PDA

View Full Version : Worth buying the 3/8" version of 1/2" sockets???

XJMikey
02-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Should I buy the 3/8" version of my 1/2" sockets?

I'm working on buying the impact socket sets Sunex Tools offers (overkill, probably) to give myself an extremely complete 1/4", 3/8" (if worth it) and 1/2" socket set. I prefer impact sockets over non-impact sockets because of their multi-use capability. I can use them with my hand ratchets, breaker bars, electric impact wrench, and air impact wrenches and ratchets without fear of socket breakage. I've tried using a non-impact socket with an air impact wrench, and it went -> :smiley-angry021:, leaving me all -> :shocker:.

nickyg
02-02-2014, 05:29 PM
I use mostly 1/2 but there a few cases where a smaller 3/8 socket fits into a tight spot.

Brasscatz
02-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm the opposite, I use mostly 3/8" drive sockets. To answer your question though... there's no such thing as too many tools :D

XJMikey
02-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm the opposite, I use mostly 3/8" drive sockets. To answer your question though... there's no such thing as too many tools :D

:smiley-laughing021: Tell my fiancee that. :smiley-scared003:

I do suppose it wouldn't hurt to have them. :D

XjJeepacorn
02-02-2014, 07:38 PM
If you are going to be doing allot of your own work some times the impact sockets are too fat to fit in some spots! So it's good to buy an all around kit. Metric and SAE I mostly use 3/8 :)

XJMikey
02-02-2014, 08:00 PM
If you are going to be doing allot of your own work some times the impact sockets are too fat to fit in some spots! So it's good to buy an all around kit. Metric and SAE I mostly use 3/8 :)

I never thought about the socket thickness. Looks like more tools are in need. :D

XjJeepacorn
02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Yeah I've had it happen lol!! I'm an apprentice now and I've been building my collection for about 5 years!! Definitely start with the basics a good selection of sockets and wrenches, extensions, universal joints. And then maybe start thinking about things that make your life easier like gear wrenches. Buy quality tools or at least ones with a life time warranty.. Also bear in mind that they like to break when you need them most! So you better have a back up car for when you need to warranty that socket or wrench! Then after that get into the specialty tools, or buy them as needed. If you don't wanna go the buying them rout auto zone lends out specialty tools :) we don't have auto zone in Canada but I've read enough 'merican forums to know!

XJMikey
02-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah I've had it happen lol!! I'm an apprentice now and I've been building my collection for about 5 years!! Definitely start with the basics a good selection of sockets and wrenches, extensions, universal joints. And then maybe start thinking about things that make your life easier like gear wrenches. Buy quality tools or at least ones with a life time warranty.. Also bear in mind that they like to break when you need them most! So you better have a back up car for when you need to warranty that socket or wrench! Then after that get into the specialty tools, or buy them as needed. If you don't wanna go the buying them rout auto zone lends out specialty tools :) we don't have auto zone in Canada but I've read enough 'merican forums to know!

I have a decent collection of harbor freight sockets and wrenches. They're not the greatest, but they've gotten the job done. I inherited my mother's bad joints, so my interest in air and electric tools has grown for ease of work reasons. I can still turn my share of nuts and bolts, but project times have slowly gotten longer and longer.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2014, 08:31 PM
If you buy good sockets, you can use standard sockets on an impact. I use Craftsman sockets and have to get one replaced about once every five years. And I do a lot of wrenching. Personally, I use them all. But deep sockets more than shallow because if you use a deep your knuckles are not so close to a flat surface

XJMikey
02-02-2014, 09:48 PM
If you buy good sockets, you can use standard sockets on an impact. I use Craftsman sockets and have to get one replaced about once every five years. And I do a lot of wrenching. Personally, I use them all. But deep sockets more than shallow because if you use a deep your knuckles are not so close to a flat surface

I always use a 2" extension, now. I've grown rather fond of my knuckle skin. Lol

Mudderoy
02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I have a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. Short and long sockets.

XjJeepacorn
02-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Some times I just don't like the heavier tools they can be a bit awkward :)

XJ Wheeler
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM

That's what i did when i had access to air. I've broken a couple impact sockets but never a standard one.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bad luck
02-03-2014, 12:32 PM
I really prefer to use smaller drive sockets and ratchets when I can, the 1/4 in. drives are my favorite unless of course I am working on something that requires a larger set. I have up to 1 in. drive sockets and ratchets. But I also like the air ratchets.

XJMikey
02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the input fellas

I sold my Sunex 1/4" master impact set to a coworker today. I order GearWrench's 1/4" and 3/8" "master" socket sets. I'm going to continue to order the Sunex 1/2" impact sockets, but I've realized it's a waste of money to buy 1/4" and 3/8" impact sockets that will never be used with anything more than a breaker bar, hand ratchet, or air ratchet.

XjJeepacorn
02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
As far as impact sockets go Mike I'd agree but 3/8 is a good idea if you like useing your air ratchet same with the 1/4 inch. Some times it's Trickey to get in areas with the big 3/8 air ratchet :)

XJMikey
02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
As far as impact sockets go Mike I'd agree but 3/8 is a good idea if you like useing your air ratchet same with the 1/4 inch. Some times it's Trickey to get in areas with the big 3/8 air ratchet :)

I plan to get the complwte 1/4" and 3/8" impact sets later on when I get a stubby 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchets. I believe in overkill, and my fiancee doesn't care what I get, just so long as I don't spend our savings. :D

denverd1
02-06-2014, 04:42 PM
I used to beat the hell out of some craftsman sockets with air impact and finally cracked one after years of spinning lug nuts with it. Buy once, cry once definitely applies when talking tools.

As for which ones, thats up to the man working the business end of it. I've got 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. elbows, adapters, extensions, blah blah blah. why? i don't really know..... just what I've accumulated of the years.

My torque wrenches are 1/2. But its nice to grab a 1/2" inch socket in 1/4 drive for stuff like battery cable terminal clamps.

My most favorite socket adapter you ask?? the 3/8" drive adapter that goes on my drill! love that thing, break 'em loose and spin 'em off!