PDA

View Full Version : starting with a newly rebuilt head... what else?

Infidel Edition
02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
thus far I've replaced the;
fuel injectors with the neon / water pump / steering pump / upper vacuum lines / CPS / O2 sensor / cap & rotor...
Also, I've cleaned and redone the TPS / throttle body / power wiring / cooling lines ... sure I'm forgetting stuff.
~ oh yeah, I swapped the computer the other day... and removed the engine side of the ac (compressor and hoses and ...)

I picked up that '89 iron head that I'm getting rebuilt and "tweaked" by a stroker guru...
I have a new cylinder head & intake gaskets and new bolts (for the head / not the intake)
+ ordered new lifters and push rods...

then I decided, long as I'm pulling the head, I might as well hoan the cylinders...
I ordered new rings / bearings / and oil pan gaskets + main seal
...might have forgotten something on that too...

I'm looking at changing out the oil pump while under there...
AND "a guy at OReilly" swears that the knock sensor is the cause of some of my previous issues... so I'll pry swap that too.

I'm thinking that's gonna be a long weekend as it is.
????????????
but
?????????????
What else is a "good to do" / "long as I'm in there" thing I should I be looking at while its all pulled apart?
...just a hair under 190,000 mi

Infidel Edition
02-02-2014, 10:04 AM
** I'm not making a stroker... the guy doing the head just happens to be a stroker guru...

Infidel Edition
02-02-2014, 10:37 AM
BTW: molly rings on closeout @ rockauto = $32 with shipping
the lifters off amazon $35 with shipping
other misc. parts on that order all total $140'ish
head rebuild + new 'this, that and the other thing' shop charges = $250
head and intake gasket set (bought months ago) were $75 for both...
new bolts $40 ... bought way back.

~ originally planned on a head gasket change = when I picked up the gaskets and bolts.
that's when a friends offered the iron head = free...