PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring bolt

dusty88
01-27-2014, 05:49 PM
I have been working at this bolt for about 4 days now and can't get it out. I ordered the RE 3.5" lift and started installing it last weekend. I started with the leaf spring first and the drivers side went in without any problems. When I started the passenger the front leaf spring bolt wouldn't come out. I looked at it closer and it seemed to just be spinning in the bushing sleeve so I went ahead and tried cutting the bolt but none of my cutting wheel where long enough so I only made it about 1/4 of the way threw. Later I found out the weld but had busted and was just spinning. Plan B was to cut a hole bellow the weld but big enough to fit a wrench in. I did that grabbed my sockets and went to town. It felt like it started to come out but it was just the bolt head twisting and busting the rest of the way off! Now I have no idea what to do. :confused: Please help!

4.3LXJ
01-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Try using a sawsall to cut the bolt. Slip the blade between the bracket and the spring. There should be about a blade width there. Don't forget some oil on the blade. It will cut better and last longer

dusty88
01-27-2014, 06:58 PM
I'll give that a shot. How would I go about getting the rest of the bolt out that's still in the weld nut.

4.3LXJ
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Cut both sides of the spring and you should be able to get everything out

dusty88
01-27-2014, 07:21 PM
I'll bust out the sawsall after work tomorrow and see what I can do

4.3LXJ
01-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Good luck

oderdene
01-28-2014, 07:43 AM
1. make a hole on underside of frame, just enough to enter welding rod and tack weld a nut

2. make a little bigger hole (2cm x 3cm) for wrench for nut. My driver side front nut was loose when I bought her, I choose this way

dusty88
01-28-2014, 09:25 AM
The problem I got is I jumped the gun a little thinking the bolt was jus spinning in the bushing so I cut the bolt head off only to find out the weld but came loose so I have no way to get at the bolt to get it out. I'll try and figure out how to upload a picture from my phone